“what can I say, I read it and didn't believe it but it is true!” 2 of 5 stars

Colony Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   736 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #124 of 201 Hotels in Miami Beach
Phoenix
“what can I say, I read it and didn't believe it but it is true!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2005

Well first, no bellhop, even though there are people hanging around that could help, but that won't happen. Elevator broken, asked for first floor because of the lots of luggage we had. Still had about 8 steps to lug the luggage but. Chivalry is dead here...Our first room (hint) was tiny and the walls are paper thin. Note: housekeeping leaves the doors of all rooms open while she is cleaning them and speaks no english. She cleans them all at the same time...lock up everything valuable. After the first night we had a very energetic group move in next door, the conversations you could hear right thru the walls. We asked to be moved. The third floor has no plasma tvs. Little desk top tvs that look like flat screen computers, very strange. Went onto the second floor near the elevator which worked for about 2 hours during the entire stay. We were able to get our luggage up thru the elevator but it is scary anyway...old type with the gate you have to slam and close a door...better to walk. That room was much bigger but the a/c unit was so loud. Every room seems to have different things in them. This room had 2 fists thru the doors. One in the bathroom door and one in the closet door, which we reported but they never did fix them. The biggest problem we found was the outlets in the bathroom were extremely hot. Needless to say, the power was lost 2 days while we were there. They have different rooms on different circuit breakers and if too many people are using them, they blow. Needless to say, all in those rooms complained but it still took hours for them to get the electric back on. With the humidity it really was hot. We would go out when this would happen. The weather during out stay was not the best so we were in the room abit (rain). The best part is the location. If you have good weather, then you won't be in the hotel much but if you don't you will. The restaurants close by are good, Casablanca's and the News Cafe are within walking distance (one block). We did report the outlets being so hot, electrical nightmare. This is the main reason I would never stay here again, fire could break out unless they get it fixed. Breakfast entails, coffee or juice and danish (ice cold probably from Costco). The tvs are great but not enough to stay again. I really wanted it to be good because they are featured on almost every postcard you see and movies also. They were filming a sci fi while we were there also which closed some of the beach areas but with the weather you were not going to be swimming anyway. Good luck to you if you go.

• Stayed August 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
CT
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2005

I stayed at the Colony for 3 nights including Hurricane Katrina's passing (August 23-26) and was somewhat disappointed. I say somewhat only because I kind of knew what to expect. I was relieved to have been given a room with a plasma tv, but unfortunately that was the only good thing about the hotel. The room was extremely small, extremely. There was the bed which is basically at floor level and nothing else in the room besides a dresser. I mean nothing. Also, the safety lock to prevent others from entering the room was broken off the door!!! When I told the front desk they wrote it down but never replaced it. The bathroom was extremely small too. The shower drain was clogged and the water was almost overflowing. There was a slight improvement after I guess someone checked on it after I requested it. Since there are only about 6 oceanfront rooms, I had a room with a view of the windows of the adjacent hotel, not even a partial ocean view. There is no bellman and the breakfast is very little. Housekeeping or maintenance felt free to eat some of my snacks. Besides the plasma tv and the fact that it is located in the hip strip of Ocean Drive near all the bars and clubs, (it's adjacent to Wet Willie's and News Cafe, Mango's and Clevelander are steps away too) the only good thing was that I only paid about $117 a night to stay here. I went through AA Vacations and when I checked on Expedia it was twice as much! Don't stay here, it's just not worth having a plasma tv if you are going to be crammed into a tiny room, with possibly no lock. You may say you'll only be there to sleep, but if the weather turns sour you will be stuck in there.

Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2005

We decided to stay here the night before our flight so we could tour south beach. The room was very cheap, and now I know why. The room only had two beds, no other furniture. There was no room to put anything else. There was about 5 inches between the end of the beds and the dresser to walk. I can't tell you how many times I hit my ankles on the corner of the bed. To top that off, we had 2 small children with us, with no room to move (not an exaggeration). No room for luggage, we had to sit it on the bed with us. The bathrooms are tiny and were dirty with only one towel and no wash cloths or hand towels. Also, I may as well have slept on the street. It was the loudest room I've ever been in. The VERY loud annoying music played until 1:30am and then all the drunks started coming in, slamming doors and yelling (the walls are paper thin). There was one window in our room with a view of a building window about 2 feet away. Will never stay here again!!!!

• Stayed August 2005

Been to Colony Hotel? Share your experiences!