“Great value for the money” 3 of 5 stars

Colony Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   736 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #114 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Espoo, Finland
“Great value for the money”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW via mobile

Stayed at Colony Hotel in January 2014 for eight nights.

The price was very good and also the location at the famous Ocean Drive. But do not expect too much from the hotel itself. Rooms are really small and the bathroom didn't have any shelfs at all.

Our keycards stopped working often and we had to go downstairs to the lobby to reactivate them. Which became quite frustating in the long run. Happened almost daily and it didnt mather if we had them in our wallets or somewhere else.

The bar outside tried to get us to stop and have drinks all the time. We did and it was a fishbowl which was 40$. They could have told us that before we had it.

But all in all. The price was so low and the location so good that we were very satisfied with Colony hotel. I would stay there again. After all it is Miami Beach, you're suppposed to be outdoors.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

663 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We stayed here on our first visit to Miami and honestly wish we hadn't. Sadly the hotel is "very" tired looking and just doesn't cut it any more, living in the past.
It was well positioned for the beach though and the guy on the desk was a good help. The room was just not nice, cockroaches, dirty and cramped. Noisy air conditioning and late at night nutters running around in the corridor shouting etc.
Not very pleasant and the prices at the bar were shocking. If the Colony doesn't do something to improve ,i'm affraid that it will only get worse, something that its rich past and position on South Beach shouldn't allow.

Room Tip: Unless steps are taken to improve then I'm affraid the future of this hotel does not look good.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

Nice hotel in a really good location. Right on South Beach - close to everything. Room was what you would expect (we got a cheap rate) and that's ok because you don't go to Miami to stay in your room all day. I would definitely stay again!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

The room and location were nice. I enjoyed the facilities and the shower was exquisite. However, this did not make up for the extra hour that it took us to get in to the room after we arrived. The receptionist seemed confused and unprofessional, repeatedly running up and down the stairs and making unexplained phone calls while we waited. Apparently the room that we booked had "already been booked" but he kindly offered to give us priority for a "small fee". When we checked out, there was no record of our stay. I would not recommend.

• Stayed July 2014
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

It was just ok...I was really disappointed in the area in general so I am trying not to let this effect the hotel review. Below is a very detailed account of our disappointments. The short version is I won't go back, I won't stay at that hotel again and I would not recommend it. Read on if you would like.

When we drove up it was raining and parking was horrible and chaotic. We had to go into the lobby of the hotel, leaving the guys with the car far down the road because there was nothing close. When we got there the lobby attendant said we had to find a guy in a white shirt and a black hat and work it out with him. That was it...all the assistance we were giving over our parking dilemma. I finally found the guy and he said 22 bucks and has to be out by noon tomorrow...this was about 4 in the afternoon. You give him the keys, 22 bucks and you get a slip and that is it. You have to call 20mins before you need the car and they bring it back to you.

Finally indoors with all of our stuff, check in was smooth with no problems. The hotel has a really cool vibe and elevator, that is really where the praise ends. We got into our room, again, just ok. 2 double beds, we were sharing the room with another couple so we expected to be tight etc. which was true. Our TV didn't work...it had a weird flashing that was happening, but we weren't there to watch TV so we didn't worry about it. The other couple wanted to change and freshen up so me and my husband decided to go to the lobby and grab a drink while waiting for them. When we got there the bar was a little busy so I said to my hubby to grab me a Pina Colada and I went to use the restroom. When I came back there was my drink, nothing special just normal size. He had a Mich Ultra, a bottle again nothing special just a domestic bottle of beer. He says to me to guess how much. I am thinking...we are in Miami in the Art Deco are of South Beach but it is just a beer in the US where it is dirt cheap so even over estimating I am thinking 8 bucks for that... and my mixed "fancy drink" I say 20 dollars, thinking I am so smart and have guessed correctly. LOL he shows me a bill of 32 dollars, I nearly fell over. We haven't even been there a half hour and we have blown through 54 dollars with not much to show for it. This was just in the lobby of the hotel we are paying almost 200 dollars a night to stay with. I guess I was just naive because as we went down the street we heard of prices upwards of 60 dollars for one drink. Thank god there was happy hour prices in effect at a lot of the places. We felt like we were getting such a deal for 2 drinks for 25 dollars. We were on holidays and certainly expected to spend money and know that we are in a trendy, touristy spot but I felt like I was born under a rock. Long story short...a VERY EXPENSIVE 1 night holiday stay.

K so now it is 1 am and we are back in the room getting ready to wind down and my brother in law decides to have a shower and the shower curtain rod fell to the floor. He calls down to the lobby and they say there is no one there to fix it. The Maintenance guys have gone home. We ask for them to take one out of an unoccupied room, they do that a bring one up about a half hour after we called. We also told them about the TV not being watchable, they said there is nothing they can do about that it is just the reception. We lay on the beds and both beds are the loudest beds I have ever heard. They made noise if you breathed to hard. The entire night, if one person out of the 4 rolled over or got up to use the restroom everyone was a wake.

Next morning...got up and got ready to leave, got them to call the car service. There were a group of girls that had already been waiting over a half hour. About 10 minutes after that....they finally see the valet guy and he checked the ticket and said oh yea I have your car...they get out and it isn't their car. Now they have been waiting over an hour and the guy has no clue where their car is because it is their tag on these keys. The issue was not resolved when we left . It took us about 45 mins wait and we did get the right car, Thank God.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, Nyc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

As an avid traveler, allow me to give you a review you can count on. I paid for my room before I got there. Which was so much easier. They only hold $50 on a CREDIT CARD (or a Bank debit card). No prepaid cards allowed. If you have to use cash for the incidentals its $500. I was checked in, in 10 minutes.
Pros: LOCATION!! Amazing, right across from the beach. STAFF, very very nice. I had 0 problems. They gave me beach towels when I needed them.
The room was very nice. They had a flat screen tv, free wifi, a college size fridge in the room. The bathroom was very nice. It is not the typical showerhead. Its a square that comes from the top. It was very nice. The hot water was plentiful. I have a ceiling fan and the AC was amazing.

The lobby was buzzing with guests there eating, watching the soccer match. Not too loud, but very normal for South Beach.

The only thing about eating there, as all the other reviews, they do charge a 20% surcharge on everything. The prices are not competitive with the other restaurants in the area. You truly can get better prices if you comparison shop up and down Ocean drive.

Overall, I had an amazing stay. If I had to go back I would. But each time I go I like to stay at different properties. But I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Try to get the 2nd floor rooms. The elevator isn't that big :)
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The hotel have a bar in front that takes like 100+$ for 2 drinks, and they dont care.
You can order a normal drink but no prices at displaced. But you Get a suprice when you pay. Wont recommend it.
Thanks for listening

• Stayed July 2014

Been to Colony Hotel? Share your experiences!