“Great Location but Prettier on the Outside” 3 of 5 stars

Colony Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   736 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #130 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
“Great Location but Prettier on the Outside”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

The Colony Hotel is an Art Deco icon on South Beach's Ocean Drive and is ideal for travelers interested in saving money on lodging who doesn't plan to spend much time in their room.

The small boutique hotel's neon display provides the perfect backdrop to many nightlife photos making it instantly recognizable. So were you a little surprised when you found rates as low as $99 per night in peak season? While at a great value, the hotel can be underwhelming to travelers accustomed to well-known chains. The rooms were clean but very outdated. In Art Deco fashion, the hotel featured platform beds (aka low to the floor). There is a café onsite, ac in the rooms and beach towels available at the front desk. Otherwise, the most desirable accommodation - you'll be located in the heart of South Beach!

Room Tip: Travelers with accessibility needs should consult the front desk prior to booking. Small elevators...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014 via mobile

Arrived, handed car keys to Valet Parking, waited momentarily to check in.
Loud and vibrant out front but quiet in our room up on third floor. Clean and modern room, same for bathroom. Toiletries included, nice touch.
We were looking forward to our stay and so far, not disappointed.
Close to the beach, shops, clubs and eating establishments for all tastes.
Would I stay here again?

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Joinville, SC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

We had problems just after checkin, the room that the recepcionist gave us the key was still occupied so we have to go back to reception, wait longer to get another room. The room was ok, good bed, good shower and air conditioning worked fine. Vallet is 22USD per day, cheaper than we paid to park on Collins Avenue. I would stay there again, no worries after all. Good location, a little bit too busy if you are looking for quite place to relax.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hafnarfjordur, Iceland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

Pros:
Excellent location, could not be better. On the beach in the middle of glorious south beach.
Decent sized room with fridge and flat screen TV. Modern decor and pleasant on the eye.
Looked and smelled clean.
Friendly staff.
Air con that works. But sadly not able to open windows. No fresh air.
Free WIFI in the room.
Modern shower and toilet.
Complimentary towel to take to beach.
Great shampoo, soap, conditioner etc, all included in the price.
Very friendly bar/restaurant . Lovely Italian guy that runs the place.
First reaction was that I was pleased, considering it is just two and a half stars.

Cons:
Not one but two cockroaches on the floor (that we saw, probably many more) One huge. Wood floor is the same colour as cockroaches, not a coinsadence, I am sure. To the hotels credit I called reception immediately and he told us to leave the room for 45 minutes so that they could spray the room and they did. We were eating pizza at the time and food does attract the little (big) buggers. They did the best they could do under the circumstances. But we are from Iceland and have never seen the little devils and it was not a pleasant experience. Not pleasant at all. Apparently there is a cockroach problem in Miami, we were told.

Impossible to open windows. No fresh air.

Loud. Loud music and people talking outside. Well duh, I guess, as it is in the middle of Ocean Drive. Bring ear plugs!!

Toilet got blocked Reception sent up a maintenance man immediately. It took less than five minutes to rectify. Not really a problem

Bed and mattress are of very low quality. Uncomfortable and linen is cheap. OK if you are on spring break and or under thirty.

All in all I would have been very pleased with the hotel, as it is a 2 1/2 star and the price was great. BUT the cockroaches are UN-forgettable and still haunt me in my nightmares. One of the most disgusting experiences of my life.
I have stayed at many 2 1/2 star hotels in FLA and not had a problem with cockroaches or uncomfortable beds.
For a budget traveler, if you don't mind the occasional cockroach, this is the place to go to for value for money.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
East Hampton, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I stayed at the Colony December 16 and departed on December 19. I paid for my room through Hotels.com (another story) and have the receipt. On December 18th the Colony charged me $277.14 for no reason. They deny it.I have it in black and white from my bank. I have been treated like I was trying to get monies that don't belong to me. Nothing is further from the truth. I have stayed at the Colony many times and always found them to be very courteous and nice. I am a 75 year old widow who is not a problem maker. I mind my own business and am not a confrontational sort. However, get me going and I will pursue this. I have not had problems in the past with this hotel, I just want my money returned to me.Hotels.com has lost me and anyone who will listen to me as customers. Their treatment has been horrific.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We went with some friends to spend a few days and it was ok. It`s not the greatest hotel in the world but you pay for the location. It`s in the center of the action. Rooms were very clean, Loved that it had wood floors instead of carpet. The elevator was something else! too slow and small. BTW don`t even think of even getting a drink at the restaurant! They will charge you $20.00 for a Margarita (not even a top shelf one).

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed at the Colony Hotel for New Years. The hotel was in a great location - right on Ocean Drive. The problem we had were with our rooms. The first room had a problem with the lock. We did get upgraded to a suite, which was nicer, but the A/C wasn't working. Also, the ceiling fan and the ceiling light weren't working. We did finally get the A/C working, but not the light or fan. The silver lining in this experience was one staff member - Harold Rondan. He was great. He did everything he could to rectify our problems. He was very resourceful and did everything he could to make our experience better. We would certainly recommend Harold be recognized for his outstanding customer service.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back of the hotel are quieter. The front rooms are right on Ocean Drive and can be noi...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Colony Hotel? Share your experiences!