“Good and bad. Would like to give 2 and a half stars.” 3 of 5 stars

Colony Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   736 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #127 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Hafnarfjordur, Iceland
“Good and bad. Would like to give 2 and a half stars.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

Pros:
Excellent location, could not be better. On the beach in the middle of glorious south beach.
Decent sized room with fridge and flat screen TV. Modern decor and pleasant on the eye.
Looked and smelled clean.
Friendly staff.
Air con that works. But sadly not able to open windows. No fresh air.
Free WIFI in the room.
Modern shower and toilet.
Complimentary towel to take to beach.
Great shampoo, soap, conditioner etc, all included in the price.
Very friendly bar/restaurant . Lovely Italian guy that runs the place.
First reaction was that I was pleased, considering it is just two and a half stars.

Cons:
Not one but two cockroaches on the floor (that we saw, probably many more) One huge. Wood floor is the same colour as cockroaches, not a coinsadence, I am sure. To the hotels credit I called reception immediately and he told us to leave the room for 45 minutes so that they could spray the room and they did. We were eating pizza at the time and food does attract the little (big) buggers. They did the best they could do under the circumstances. But we are from Iceland and have never seen the little devils and it was not a pleasant experience. Not pleasant at all. Apparently there is a cockroach problem in Miami, we were told.

Impossible to open windows. No fresh air.

Loud. Loud music and people talking outside. Well duh, I guess, as it is in the middle of Ocean Drive. Bring ear plugs!!

Toilet got blocked Reception sent up a maintenance man immediately. It took less than five minutes to rectify. Not really a problem

Bed and mattress are of very low quality. Uncomfortable and linen is cheap. OK if you are on spring break and or under thirty.

All in all I would have been very pleased with the hotel, as it is a 2 1/2 star and the price was great. BUT the cockroaches are UN-forgettable and still haunt me in my nightmares. One of the most disgusting experiences of my life.
I have stayed at many 2 1/2 star hotels in FLA and not had a problem with cockroaches or uncomfortable beds.
For a budget traveler, if you don't mind the occasional cockroach, this is the place to go to for value for money.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
East Hampton, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I stayed at the Colony December 16 and departed on December 19. I paid for my room through Hotels.com (another story) and have the receipt. On December 18th the Colony charged me $277.14 for no reason. They deny it.I have it in black and white from my bank. I have been treated like I was trying to get monies that don't belong to me. Nothing is further from the truth. I have stayed at the Colony many times and always found them to be very courteous and nice. I am a 75 year old widow who is not a problem maker. I mind my own business and am not a confrontational sort. However, get me going and I will pursue this. I have not had problems in the past with this hotel, I just want my money returned to me.Hotels.com has lost me and anyone who will listen to me as customers. Their treatment has been horrific.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

We went with some friends to spend a few days and it was ok. It`s not the greatest hotel in the world but you pay for the location. It`s in the center of the action. Rooms were very clean, Loved that it had wood floors instead of carpet. The elevator was something else! too slow and small. BTW don`t even think of even getting a drink at the restaurant! They will charge you $20.00 for a Margarita (not even a top shelf one).

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We stayed at the Colony Hotel for New Years. The hotel was in a great location - right on Ocean Drive. The problem we had were with our rooms. The first room had a problem with the lock. We did get upgraded to a suite, which was nicer, but the A/C wasn't working. Also, the ceiling fan and the ceiling light weren't working. We did finally get the A/C working, but not the light or fan. The silver lining in this experience was one staff member - Harold Rondan. He was great. He did everything he could to rectify our problems. He was very resourceful and did everything he could to make our experience better. We would certainly recommend Harold be recognized for his outstanding customer service.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back of the hotel are quieter. The front rooms are right on Ocean Drive and can be noi...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Des Moines, Ia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

We stayed at the Colony Hotel in South Beach, Fl on 12/20/13 in route to a cruise the next day. When we checked in we were greeted with a pleasant smile and even though we were a little early getting there, we were able to check in with no problem. My wife and I asked about a unique restaurant that would be close by that we could try and taste the local cuisine. The hotel front desk clerk suggested a Cuban restaurant that was close. It was wonderful. He was very helpful and knew the area well. The hotel is in a absolutely great location, literally across the street from the beach. The room we stayed in was small but it was very clean and comfortable. The next day, it was absolutely no problem to hold our luggage while we explored the area and then went back to the hotel, picked it up and was on our way. The staff went out of their way to make the stay enjoyable. If and when we get back to Miami area, we will be staying there again. Did I mention that the location could not have been any better to the nightlife as well.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

This hotel was in a fantastic location, right across the beach and near restaurants. Great amenities, the rooms were clean and fresh, the staff were friendly, would recommend. One thing that did bother me, which is not the hotels fault, is when walking down the strip, you cannot walk 5 metres without being harassed to eat at restaurants, morning, lunch and dinner. so annoying, but hotel stay was very enjoyable

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Kresgeville, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

In addition to the great location -- across the street from the beach -- and being in the center of Miami night life, this hotel has a very accommodating staff. Carlos, Harold, and Albert were most helpful throughout our stay with excellent recommendations, numerous cab calls, and even babysitting luggage. Not only will I stay here again but I am also recommending this hotel to our travel club. Thank you once again!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Eddie N, Director of Sales at Colony Hotel, responded to this review, December 21, 2013
Dear Paulette, thank you for the great review, as part of management I can tell you that the nothing makes the day better than to read how well our guests were treated by staff! They play such a crucial role to the reputation and product of the hotel! I will make sure that all of the employees mentioned are given copies of this review! We hope to see you again in the near future!

Been to Colony Hotel? Share your experiences!