“To have fun!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #114 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Miami, Florida, United States
“To have fun!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

For a South Beach Hotel the price was really good ! The location is great,right across the beach located between 7th and 8th street. The staff of the hotel and of the bar were really nice and friendly and because of them I had a great stay at the Colony . Couldn't ask for anything better! Though the Hotel was a lil noisy (you could hear the steps on the hallways),but it's South Beach! the rooms were renovated and clean but bit small. If you wanna have fun and meet new people I highly recommend you to stay there! And anything you need talk to Harold through the day and Rafa through the night they are there to help and they won't let you down.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
zero11382, Director of Sales at Colony Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you Lys for the great review, it's always good to read to high praise on our staff! They truly make a difference.

694 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

The Colony Hotel is a boutique Art Deco hotel on the strip. The staff was very helpful, and the rooms were small but clean and recently renovated. It was noisy (there appeared to be a parade of people going through the narrow hallway late at night,) but the room we had was not on the strip, so we didn't hear street noise or music. Plus, that is part of the charm of South Beach.

Look for the postcards with the Colony Hotel on it, which are sold at all the tourist traps.

Room Tip: The rooms on the first floor away from the strip are a bit quieter, though lack ocean views.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you Ben for the positive review, I hope the horde of noisy guests in the hallways did not negatively affect your experience too much!
Boca Raton, florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

For a boutique South Beach Hotel it was really nice. We stayed in the ocean view suite which was a nice updated room with plenty of amenities. The downside was the loud music that plays. The location was fantastic but if you are looking to get sleep and not party until 5am, you might want to consider another hotel.

The parking staff took forever and I would recommend when you want your car you ask for it 45 minutes in advance.

If you are looking to be in the heart of the action I recommend this hotel, it is close to all the night life and shops.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Laura, thank you for the honest review - noise can be an issue, specifically in the front of the hotel due to the people traffic and music on Ocean Drive, I'm so sorry this affected your stay, we have looked at numerous options to help offset the noise on Ocean Drive but we have not found anything that clearly mute's it out. Valet Parking typically only takes 15 to 20 minutes, hence why we advise guests to call for their car ahead of time, but if the car is needed on a weekend at night I can definitely fathom it taking upwards of 30 minutes since Ocean Drive and Collins Avenue experience bumper to bumper traffic at that time, furthermore the City is also doing extensive work on Collins Avenue and it has really caused bad traffic jams, this will most likely go on for the next few months!
Thomaston, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

After reading the reviews, I wasn't sure what to expect. We went to South beach for a show at the Fillmore which was a 5 minute taxi ride away and the only hotel with a decent price for a Saturday night. We checked in at around 6pm, and were told due to the hotel being sold out, we were upgraded to the best suite in the house, room 301, ocean view (prepaid on hotels.com about 2 months before the trip). I was excited but still wasn't expecting to much. The elevator, or 'lift', is very old and kind of scary. do not go in there if you are claustrophobic LOL. There is the staircase which is much quicker (we only have 1 overnight bag so it was easy to carry) right next to the bar area. The room was huge for south beach standards. It has a living area with a TV, PlayStation 3, mini bar (no liquor) with a fridge, & glasses for all style of drinks. the bed was big, and the closet was so huge you could fit 5 people standing and still have room. The bathroom is the opposite - very tiny and not much standing room. The tub/shower is huge though. The amenities were very nice and everything was clean. there was a large window with blinds with a great view of the strip/beach. I will admit being at the front of the hotel on a Saturday night, very noisy, but we came in around 2am and passed right out. That's what south beach is all about right?! Anyways, the car valet guys were great. When we walked downstairs the next morning planning to check out, the guy was standing there with my car keys & my jeep parked out front waiting for us! we didn't even have to call or say anything! We asked if we could leave it in front for 45 minutes or so while we grabbed some lunch really quick. They let us, which I was not expecting, but was awesome! I would stay here again for sure. The whole place was really clean and nice. A+!

Room Tip: Ask to be upgraded to the suite Room 301 - amazing!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, thank you for the wonderful review, I'm very happy to know that you enjoyed our Oceanfront Suite, it really is a beautiful room!
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

South Beach is notoriously expensive for hotels, and a lot of these old boutique hotels have a bad reputation for lagging on renovations because they know they will get bookings anyway.

That said, Colony had a lot of positives.
You are in the heart of south beach, so you are a short walk away from everything you could need. As it is on Ocean Drive, I was worried it would be noisy, but you could only notice the noise if you really tried to listen out for it.
The room itself was renovated and had a fan and aircon as well as a safe, cable TV, Hairdryer, iron and a fridge. The bed was really comfortable, and the pillows were the perfect.

The bathroom however is the part that is in dire need of a facelift.
The mirror is on an angle so you can never see what you really look like before you leave. And then there is the shower. So bad. You have to hold the handle the entire time, and there is only one temperature, which does get a bit too hot. It was so hard to wash my hair with that thing.

One annoyance was that everytime the room was cleaned, my card to get back in the room would stop working. One time I went down to the desk to get this sorted and there was no one there for 15 minutes and I had to wait to get in my room.

Service-wise the guys were very polite, but it would help if they had a bit more knowledge that tourists need. One of the guys couldn't even help me work out how to catch the bus or use public transport the get to the mall, which they really should be able to help guests with.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, thank you for the honest review - as an experienced traveler you seem to have a very good pulse on the workings of Miami Beach hotels, kudos to you! Ironically I'm surprised to read about the comment regarding the hot shower, since I just replied to another reviewer who said we have no hot water. I will speak with staff in regards to your comments about them not being able to provide basic directions/details about tourist requests, I would assume that maybe this request was made at night since Harold (typically works in the A.M.) and Carlos and Albert (typically work the P.M. hours) are fairly knowledgeable about Miami Beach and what it has to offer.
Carnlough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

First of all the Plus Side of this hotel...... Great location on Ocean Drive and right across the road from the beach, My friends and myself found the hotel to be clean and the rooms nice... Most of the staff friendly (apart from the night guy when we checked in)
 Bit grumpy on it lol The hotel is right where you'd want to be with plenty of people about, all in all I'd stay there again.

Also when your checking out and want a taxi don't get the hotel to order a taxi just walk outside and stick your hand in the air at the 1st taxi you see, as we asked for a taxi and waited 30 minutes only for a guy to turn up with a 7 seater for my group (5 people) and another couple (2 people) ..... plus the driver I counted 8 people???? And with all the luggage 7 large to very large cases, The wee guy kept insisting he would fit us all in!!! ...... Me and my mate just got a taxi to the port ..... Faster and no hassle ...

This review is the 2nd I've wrote on this hotel as I've had to delete the 1st as it was unfair .... I had blamed the hotel for charging me for a room I'd already paid for, but in the end it was the company I'd booked the hotel with Alpharooms.com and there providers, a unless company who do nothing for you when you ask them to help you out !!!! Stay clear there not worth the bother.

In the end it was Eddie Nunez General Manager of the Colony Hotel who sorted the mess out for me and got me a refund (MANY THANKS TO HIM) for that.....

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you Brendan for the positive review, and for correcting the original negative one that was posted on our property! I'm just happy knowing that we were able to correct the financial mistakes that occurred with your room, as you can attest having too many middle men between a guest and the property can sometimes cause unwanted problems! This is why we urge all clients that if you have an issue with the hotel to please contact management so that we can thoroughly look into and provide assistance, this is especially important to us when it comes to guest funds, we do not want our clients to be falsely charged/overcharged, as I personally deal with that area of the operation should any past guest read this and find themselves in a similar situation I urge you to reach out to me at sales@thekenhotel.com or at 305-604-5068 Ext. 3001, I promise to do all I can to correct the problem in a fair way!
texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel on a girls trip weekend! Needless to say the rooms are extremely small, the bathroom smaller, the beds are hard, with no comforter, only sheets, and there was NO hot water. We had to sleep in one room, and shower down in another room! Super inconvenient and even moreso disgusting, because that water was only room temperature -_-
The only upside is the location! Across the street from the beach, and all restaurants and little fun shops are walking distance. Stay out of your room as much as possible if you plan to stay here, just enjoy the city!

• Stayed July 2012
Dear Guest, I'm sorry to read about the problems you experienced - I'm surprised that you said you had no "comforters" and only sheets, since that definitely is not the case at the Colony Hotel, each room has 100% cotton "Honeycomb styled" comforters in all their beds..also, it seems like the water heater was not working at the time you went to shower? or the pilot must have turned off mistakenly as we do have hot water on the property. I'm a bit confused about the shower situation, since you mentioned that you had to go to a different room to shower (does that mean that other room had hot water? If it didn't why not just shower in your room?) - if you would like to go over your stay in detail please feel free to contact me at 305-604-5068 Ext. 3001 as I am interested in looking for a solution to the issues you experienced.

Been to Colony Hotel? Share your experiences!