“Resubmitted Review.....” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #127 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Carnlough, United Kingdom
“Resubmitted Review.....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

First of all the Plus Side of this hotel...... Great location on Ocean Drive and right across the road from the beach, My friends and myself found the hotel to be clean and the rooms nice... Most of the staff friendly (apart from the night guy when we checked in)
 Bit grumpy on it lol The hotel is right where you'd want to be with plenty of people about, all in all I'd stay there again.

Also when your checking out and want a taxi don't get the hotel to order a taxi just walk outside and stick your hand in the air at the 1st taxi you see, as we asked for a taxi and waited 30 minutes only for a guy to turn up with a 7 seater for my group (5 people) and another couple (2 people) ..... plus the driver I counted 8 people???? And with all the luggage 7 large to very large cases, The wee guy kept insisting he would fit us all in!!! ...... Me and my mate just got a taxi to the port ..... Faster and no hassle ...

This review is the 2nd I've wrote on this hotel as I've had to delete the 1st as it was unfair .... I had blamed the hotel for charging me for a room I'd already paid for, but in the end it was the company I'd booked the hotel with Alpharooms.com and there providers, a unless company who do nothing for you when you ask them to help you out !!!! Stay clear there not worth the bother.

In the end it was Eddie Nunez General Manager of the Colony Hotel who sorted the mess out for me and got me a refund (MANY THANKS TO HIM) for that.....

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
zero11382, Director of Sales at Colony Hotel, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Thank you Brendan for the positive review, and for correcting the original negative one that was posted on our property! I'm just happy knowing that we were able to correct the financial mistakes that occurred with your room, as you can attest having too many middle men between a guest and the property can sometimes cause unwanted problems! This is why we urge all clients that if you have an issue with the hotel to please contact management so that we can thoroughly look into and provide assistance, this is especially important to us when it comes to guest funds, we do not want our clients to be falsely charged/overcharged, as I personally deal with that area of the operation should any past guest read this and find themselves in a similar situation I urge you to reach out to me at sales@thekenhotel.com or at 305-604-5068 Ext. 3001, I promise to do all I can to correct the problem in a fair way!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel on a girls trip weekend! Needless to say the rooms are extremely small, the bathroom smaller, the beds are hard, with no comforter, only sheets, and there was NO hot water. We had to sleep in one room, and shower down in another room! Super inconvenient and even moreso disgusting, because that water was only room temperature -_-
The only upside is the location! Across the street from the beach, and all restaurants and little fun shops are walking distance. Stay out of your room as much as possible if you plan to stay here, just enjoy the city!

• Stayed July 2012
Dear Guest, I'm sorry to read about the problems you experienced - I'm surprised that you said you had no "comforters" and only sheets, since that definitely is not the case at the Colony Hotel, each room has 100% cotton "Honeycomb styled" comforters in all their beds..also, it seems like the water heater was not working at the time you went to shower? or the pilot must have turned off mistakenly as we do have hot water on the property. I'm a bit confused about the shower situation, since you mentioned that you had to go to a different room to shower (does that mean that other room had hot water? If it didn't why not just shower in your room?) - if you would like to go over your stay in detail please feel free to contact me at 305-604-5068 Ext. 3001 as I am interested in looking for a solution to the issues you experienced.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Harold Rondan the Front Office Manager was great he helped us out with our bags. He was very he was great with all of our needs throughout our stay. I looked online to book a room and decided that i would be in good hands if I booked at the Colony again. I gave him a call this morning and we booked for August. He's def a good dude.

Room Tip: Ask For Harold Rondan
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your review and the praise heaped upon Harold, it is very deserving as he is our brightest star in the Front Desk and has been mentioned numerous times on this forum for his great customer service!
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Only stayed one night during an Orlando holiday. Very pretty hotel, Art Deco fans will love this place. Art Deco lobby, Art Deco banisters going up the stairs, even an Art Deco lift/elevator.

Room was clean, bathroom small, huge TV, 2 double beds. Toiletries and toothpaste provided.

Location is perfect, between 7th and 8th on Ocean Drive.

Restaurant staff outside were a pain in the backside hassling you to eat every time enter or leave the hotel.

I think we were the only people staying there with children, it was extremely noisy at night with people making a racket in the corridors, but this is south beach, don't come expecting silence after 10pm.

Biggest disaster was the neon lights not being switched on at night. Apparently 4 of the letters weren't working so they left them off :-(

For us, great for one night, maybe two.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest, let me apologize about the neon sign, typically whenever we get a bulb that breaks down it gets replaced within 48 hours, it sounds like you stayed on a night when it had recently broken, since the Colony Hotel sign is universally recognized icon in South Beach we take great pains in keeping it maintained at all times, I assure you if you ever come back it will be working at 100%!
Jamaica
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

This hotel was okay and the cheapest I could find at the time for a weekend trip. The location is great, staff a helpful and friendly. You could get more for your money at a hotel in another area but this is right in the action on Ocean Drive so it is priced by location. It is across the road from the beach. The rooms are clean. Could do with a full length mirror but otherwise fine. Though right in the action, I didn't hear any noise at night as I had a room at the back which although meant I didn't have a good view (could just see an alley), I really didn't mind as sleep when I wanted it was more important. Just okay really.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest, thank you for the honest review - I'm surprised we were the "cheapest" hotel you could find as we tend to have rates in the middle of the pack compared to other hotels in the area, but you are correct in stating the best quality of the hotel is it's location, it does not get better than 7th and Ocean Drive! P.S. Full length mirrors have been added to most rooms already, as of the writing of this review that was not the case.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013 via mobile

Colony is an absolute s**** hole! Do not be fooled by all the positive reviews because I for one believe they are all lies.

My holiday has been absolutely ruined by this disgusting hotel and let me tell you why.

From when we checked into the hotel room I had a bad feeling. Our hotel room was small firstly, had a funny smell, only had one light and only had one mirror - for a double room I think that is appalling. Then when we saw our view it was of the crusty rooftop and we had crack heads watching us from across the street. From then we had to keep the blinds closed for fear of our safety.

But this are just some of the minor points of this disgusting hotel. The hotel rooms have an infestation problem. In the 7 nights we have stayed in this hotel, me and my friends have had to move rooms a total of nine times because cockroaches and maggots had invaded the rooms. We have been awoken at night to hear a rustling sound and then only to find four to five cockroaches running around on the floor as well as hidden in our belongings.

You would think the hotel staff would be helpful. Oh no. The person who works the night shift just comes to the room doesn't even check properly, sprays a little bug spray and then tells us your going to have to move rooms. He also does not help us move our stuff in the new rooms despite us all being terrified of cockroaches. So we are left to move all our things in the middle of night from room to room without any compassion.

What makes this ordeal even worse is the manager has not had the common courtesy to come and sort this out in person. We have not even had an apology. Instead she has relayed messages through her incompetent hotel staff and has avoided seeing us completely.

Please listen to me when I say this do not under any circumstances stay in this hotel!

• Stayed May 2013
zero11382, Director of Sales at Colony Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Abigail, as mentioned on the reply to the review left before yours written by Kim_just_ki, whom was one of the members of your traveling party, I am perplexed as why your group would complain about not speaking to the manager when not only did you speak to the General Manager (Carrie Lage) prior to you leaving the hotel, but you spoke to Lance Steytler who is the hotel owner's representative! After speaking to them they both agreed to fully comp your stay! I do not know how many of the issues you encountered were legitimate or just embellishments, but I can confirm that your group not being able to speak to a Manager is a completely false statement.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I am very appalled at my recent stay at the Colony Hotel. I have visited Miami on a number of occasions and this by far is the worst hotel I've stayed in. Please read below the reasons why I advise you to avoid this hotel at all costs (if you want something reasonable and near to the beach I would recommend Fashion Haus on Washington Avenue)
1. There is an infestation of cockroaches- we found 6 in our first room and once we were moved to another room by the evening we found another 5. We were a group of 8 and had 3 rooms between us- all 3 rooms had cockroaches, coincidence? I think not.

2. Raphael a staff member working the late shift two nights in a row is the most vile, disrespectful person I have come across. We asked if he could help us move our stuff from the roach infested room to our new room- he told us he could not leave the front desk and we would need to deal with things ourselves- the irony is the following night when we found the second batch of roaches we went down to the front desk to inform Raphael but he was nowhere to be seen for over 45 minutes- we even answered the phone a couple times to inform others of this ridiculous hotel.
When he finally did show up there was no apology and he claimed he had been sleeping. Very professional!

3.There is one lamp that lights the whole room- I promise you I'm not lying read the other reviews! I've seen the response from the director from reviews in April, but nothing has been done- yet they have managed to paint the lift on two different occasions in the space of 5 days!

4. The showers are ridiculous, there is no hot water (please remember this is based on 3 rooms so this is not a one off)- there is one tiny cabinet mirror in the bathroom for the entire room.

5. There is a constant damp/roach repellent smell in the rooms, so this is definitely an ongoing issue.

6. The food is horrible- at one point I was tempted to show the guests exactly what is scuttling about in the kitchens and god knows where else! they have the cheek to harass you to sit and eat with them every time people walk along the strip or you enter or exit the building!!

5. There's no fan in the bathroom and the 2nd room we were moved too didn't even have a window!

The one positive point I would like to make is Harold one of the front desk employees. Very nice guy, good customer service and helped when her could (he was only available during the day).

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Kim, I am sorry for the experience you encountered while at the property, I will not go into detail with regards to your review as it is very extensive - I will mention though that some of the claims are completely false. Also I would like to mention for other reviewers that might be reading this that before you checked out of the property you spoke to both Carrie Lage (General Manager of the Colony Hotel) and Lance Steytler (Owner's Representative) regarding your stay, from the feedback they gave me regarding your complaints, they completely refunded your room and one of the rooms that was traveling with you. As a hotelier, I do not know what else a hotel could do in order to correct any mistakes on their part than a full refund.

Been to Colony Hotel? Share your experiences!