“A Dirty and Disgusting hotel and I will make sure as many people as possible do not experience what we went through!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Colony Hotel

Save Saved
You added Colony Hotel to your Saves list
Colony Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   736 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #124 of 201 Hotels in Miami Beach
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

I am very appalled at my recent stay at the Colony Hotel. I have visited Miami on a number of occasions and this by far is the worst hotel I've stayed in. Please read below the reasons why I advise you to avoid this hotel at all costs (if you want something reasonable and near to the beach I would recommend Fashion Haus on Washington Avenue)
1. There is an infestation of cockroaches- we found 6 in our first room and once we were moved to another room by the evening we found another 5. We were a group of 8 and had 3 rooms between us- all 3 rooms had cockroaches, coincidence? I think not.

2. Raphael a staff member working the late shift two nights in a row is the most vile, disrespectful person I have come across. We asked if he could help us move our stuff from the roach infested room to our new room- he told us he could not leave the front desk and we would need to deal with things ourselves- the irony is the following night when we found the second batch of roaches we went down to the front desk to inform Raphael but he was nowhere to be seen for over 45 minutes- we even answered the phone a couple times to inform others of this ridiculous hotel.
When he finally did show up there was no apology and he claimed he had been sleeping. Very professional!

3.There is one lamp that lights the whole room- I promise you I'm not lying read the other reviews! I've seen the response from the director from reviews in April, but nothing has been done- yet they have managed to paint the lift on two different occasions in the space of 5 days!

4. The showers are ridiculous, there is no hot water (please remember this is based on 3 rooms so this is not a one off)- there is one tiny cabinet mirror in the bathroom for the entire room.

5. There is a constant damp/roach repellent smell in the rooms, so this is definitely an ongoing issue.

6. The food is horrible- at one point I was tempted to show the guests exactly what is scuttling about in the kitchens and god knows where else! they have the cheek to harass you to sit and eat with them every time people walk along the strip or you enter or exit the building!!

5. There's no fan in the bathroom and the 2nd room we were moved too didn't even have a window!

The one positive point I would like to make is Harold one of the front desk employees. Very nice guy, good customer service and helped when her could (he was only available during the day).

• Stayed May 2013
zero11382, Director of Sales at Colony Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Kim, I am sorry for the experience you encountered while at the property, I will not go into detail with regards to your review as it is very extensive - I will mention though that some of the claims are completely false. Also I would like to mention for other reviewers that might be reading this that before you checked out of the property you spoke to both Carrie Lage (General Manager of the Colony Hotel) and Lance Steytler (Owner's Representative) regarding your stay, from the feedback they gave me regarding your complaints, they completely refunded your room and one of the rooms that was traveling with you. As a hotelier, I do not know what else a hotel could do in order to correct any mistakes on their part than a full refund.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

Don't stay during Memorial Day week. They have a 2/room policy during this time, even I'm the 2 double bed rooms. We followed this policy but was harassed every time we entered or exited the property. I'm almost 40 yrs old and don't expect to be treated like a child on spring break. We were made to wear these horrible looking paper bands that just about ruined our vacay pictures. The plastic bands would have been much better. The housekeepers didn't speak English and apparently didn't understand what "privacy do not disturb" means because they walked into 2 guess rooms that clearly had these signs stuck in the key mechanism. The housekeepers refused to give us clean linen, one of them stated that my room wasn't due for service that particular day and mind you I hadn't had my room "serviced" the whole trip (by my own choice, it's better that way for me). The housekeepers apparently wanted to leave early so they told the manager that no one on the first floor wanted service. The rooms are basic to say the least, nothing fancy at all. The room was extremely cold with the air on or muggy with it off. One lamp is all we had for lighting and the only mirror was the medicine cabinet sized one in the bathroom. The shower had mold stains on the ceiling and in the cracks of the tiles. We saw 3 roaches but who knows, other guess could have bought them in with them. The restaurant and bar staff were all very nice but not all on the same page. It's either free shots and 20% discount for hotel patrons or its $18 for a drink in a 12oz paper cup. However when we asked about the 20% discount we then was told no but that we could have 2 for 1. What if we didn't ask??? This year the Colony slacked on getting their permits to have a DJ and be able to block off the sidewalk for extra seating/dining so no celebs came and ate with us this year. Every time we questions the Colony about their mishaps they blamed everything on "Last Year". One staffer name Harold even drew up numbers showing us that 150 towels went missing from last year!!!! Was he serious!!!! I'm thinking 360+ days was enough time to get it together. The price of one room for 1-2 nights could have replaced them towels 2 fold. Lastly I have to say that THOMAS aka Skate Board T is the man!!! He was most helpful each and every time we approached him. Same with the older gentleman, sorry but I forgot his name (he's the cool OG with the straight hair). By the end of our stay Harold had become a lot nicer and helpful. Even though I'd never stay again I'm not telling others to not stay there, just weigh your options and the price. It's sad to know how this place has gone down when this is the hotel that filmed scenes from Scarface.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear Guest, I apologize about some of the issues you encountered - I urge you to reach out to Carrie Lage (General Manager of the Colony Hotel) at 305-673-0088 or carrie@colonymiami.com should you wish to speak to someone to voice your concerns. I will reply to some of the comments which I do have knowledge of - due to the atmosphere that is typically associated with Memorial Day Weekend, we take extra security precautions to make sure that our patrons are safe and can enjoy themselves while in our property - for the last few years we have asked all of our guests to wear a "Colony Hotel" band on their wrists so our security can better control whom should be in the hotel and who should not - this is strictly a security precaution as we want to make sure that would be thieves are not entering the hotel to prey on our guests. So you are aware, it was not the hotel's decision to allow tables and chairs to be placed on Ocean Drive, the City of Miami Beach did not allow any establishment to do that this past year, I do not know why or what is the logic behind as it seemed to be a good idea in the past.
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Nothing too special. Bathroom is pretty small, but not a big deal. We had to call the front desk multiple times to get someone to answer - to tell us how to get someone for valet. If you have a car, that's the only way to go. Waited almost 30 minutes to get our car to leave.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest, thank you for the review. With regards to Valet, we definitely feel like this is the best option in South Beach, as parking can be very scarce and hard to find at time, we also always advise all of our guests to call for their car between 15 to 20 minutes prior to needing the car so that the wait time is minimal, Ocean Drive at night on a weekend is easily the most crowded street in South Florida, consistently assuring you bumper to bumper traffic.
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Hotel has views of the beach, and is a great location. Only drawback- tiny rooms. Very clean but tiny. And the bathroom could have been a little cleaner. I didnt find it noisy at all. The rooms at the back are very quiet, and even with the ones in the front, only if you leave the windows open, you may hear the street music- but it is South Beach afterall.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, thank you for the review! It is true some of the units at the hotel can be fairly small, especially for anyone who travels extensively and has experienced numerous types of hotels, most of the smaller hotels in South Beach are considered "boutique hotels", they were constructed in the 1930's and do not have the luxuries that a newer building might have. Overall we believe that the room size does not play a big role on the experience you can have while in Miami Beach, there is so much to do that we strongly urge our guests to not spend time in the rooms and spend it outdoors!
Laurel, Maryland, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I must say I had a great time.. Between Harold keeping us entertained during the day and the oh so helpful over night guys who were so kind to keep unlocking our room keys.. I quite enjoyed my self. I have stayed her before a few years back and thought why not again. Well I'm glad. The food was great. The hostess we fell in love with smiling every morning. Even the cleaning staff was probably tired of all the towels we needed but they never complained. The free wifi was a blessing.. took me two days to understand the password.. lls. but once i did it was not stopping me. The beautiful beach was one of my key favorites about this hotel. it being literally across the street meant i had to go nowhere to put my feet in the sand. But the price was great. I booked it from the website because it was better than Expedia. Besides the rain the first two days my trip at the colony was great. :) so thank you staff for taking care of all my wants and needs on my 5 day vacation.. And again thank you Harold for accommodating us. Without you at the front desk my weekend would have been a little less fun... Xoxo muah*

Room Tip: Get the rooms by the front desk.. You don't have to walk far... :)
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Cookie, thank you for the wonderful review! Harold is consistently mentioned in our reviews by our guests because he really does all he can to make sure our clients are satisfied with their experience at the property! We appreciate it highly when staff gets mentioned as one of the reasons our guests enjoyed themselves at our hotel, once again thank you for the kind words!
Kite beach Cabarete Dominican Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

I almost cancelled my reservation after I read the reviews, but i´m glad I didn´t...people don´t realize South Beach Hotels are boutique properties constructed during the 1930’s...The Colony is RIGHT on the action. The staff is multilingual and very accommodating and the rooms are clean comfortable and safe. We had a great time and looking forward to returning to the Colony Hotel and South Beach!

Room Tip: I spent $100us, I expected to get a nice clean, cool room with little or no view. This is what I got...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest, thank you for your review, I always urge guests to at least check into the hotel and see if they like it or not, we are very accommodating to guests if they do not like the property, they can simply check out and we will not charge any cancellation fees! We are happy that chose to give us a chance, and even more happy that we gained your trust in return!
Bronx, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

The hotel is nice, the staff (except for one who was a scatterbrain) was knowledgeable and friendly and accommodating, great location for the beach and everything else, offers tours in the lobby-and the ENTIRE hotel is super clean, everywhere you go, its smells as if they just cleaned 5 minutes ago no matter the time of day, rooms are nice and upgraded (had a back room so it was quiet)......what I didn't like was that although the give you their wifi password, you still get no phone reception-its the worst and there wasn't any dresser, only cubby holes....no idea about the food-we didn't eat there.

Room Tip: save yourself some money and take the 100 bus from the airport, it'll leave you in the heart of...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Sara, thank you for the honest review...I apologize about you not being able to get reception on your cell phone, different parts of the hotel get better reception than others, this also fluctuates depending on your provider as well, I can relate from personal experience as I have Sprint and I sometimes do not get reception either, but some of our employees who have Verizon get reception everywhere including our basement and elevator!

Been to Colony Hotel? Share your experiences!