“Great Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #143 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Alexandria, Virginia
“Great Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I've stayed at the Colony and since it was right in the middle of everything on the main strip in South Beach, Miami, I even booked my parents a room there the following month! It's in the heart of all the main hotels/restaurants right there on the beach! They certainly loved their stay. I would absolutely recommend this hotel to friends, especially since it was so reasonably priced!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
zero11382, Director of Sales at Colony Hotel, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you Lenura for the positive review, we are glad to know you enjoyed your stay so much you booked your parents for the following month!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
New Britain, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I've been to Miami quite a bit. And everytime I've stayed at the Colony. It's in a great location. Just cross the street and there's the beach. The front desk clerk Harold is great. He always made sure my stay there is a good one. The rooms are modern & good size. I've never had a problem staying there. Great prices. There were a couple times when the elevator wasn't working but it wasn't a big deal for me. My last stay there I was upgraded to an oceanfront view at no extra charge which made it even better. There are alot of clubs and great restaurants close by. I am planning to go back this summer and best believe I will be staying at the Colony.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest, thank you for the wonderful review, it's always a pleasure to know we have repeat clients who choose to only stay with us even though there are numerous hotels in South Beach
Naples Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Just left a miserable stay at this hotel or should I say dump. There is absolutely no redeeming thing about this place. Where do I begin? Upon arrival we were greeted by a dirty looking doorman with no uniform. The front desk clerk was busy, too busy on Facebook to greet us. We had very big heavy bags and would have never been able to carry them up the steps due to no elevator access so after finally getting the front desk clerk's attention he had the worker, doorman,help. Now on to the room..or should I say walkin closet, The whole place is dark and has an odor of mold and dampness. The lighting consists of 1 lamp and a bathroom light. The refrigerator didn't work and there is no coffee machine. Don't look for any amenities. I wanted to turn and run but my friends talked me into staying. Things only got worse. No tissues,toilet paper or towels was a daily occurrence. Maid service???Never in my life have I stayed in a hotel where sheets aren't changed and dirty towels are picked up from the floor and rehung. Any beverages or food that you partially consumed from the previous night will still be in your room after the maid cleans just In case you want to imbibe the next night. Your maid is thoughtfull like that and doesnt sweep your floors either. How do I know? Ear plugs. Yes we had to buy earplugs and the same earplugs remained on the floor till the day we left. The noise level is horrible. There is alley noise from the restaurant workers arguing on one side. There must not be insulation because the doors slamming all night and the up stairs guest rollerblading all night long made it impossible to sleep even with ear plugs. On a positive note you can make friends easily with the alley restaurant workers by simply opening the window and shaking their hands. One last negative comment and that would be with the hooka slash bar restaurant and I use this term loosely. Everytime you enter or leave your hotel that you have been staying in for days you are greeted as if you are a new customer. What is wrong with this,you might ask? Well, they have no clue you are staying there. How many times are you going to enjoy an overly aggressive Hostess/host say,"2 for 1 happy hour, free shots,cold ,crappy food Ma'am? Yes, from my sarcasm you can tell that the free shots never appear at your table and the 2 for 1 drinks are weak and prepared by I'm guessing, the maid. There is no bartender at this location and until the day before we left there were no barstools. Unless you are a young man looking for a drunken evening and a cheap crashing pad, I would say go on down the strip to a real hotel.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Reba, your review is worrisome to say the least, if you would like to speak to me in detail about your stay it would greatly help me pinpoint what went wrong and whom we can hold accountable, as your experience at the Colony Hotel is neither the norm or what we strive to provide. Please contact me at 305-604-5068 Ext. 3001 or at sales@thekenthotel.com
Tortona, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for 2 nights, the choice to book this property has been a very good idea,in the heart of Ocean Drive, just fews steps from Miami beach, opposite the Lummus Park, in the heart of nightlife and the most "hot" south beach clubs.
The hotel in itself is very famous, scene of several films and TV series, Art Deco structure, I love the facade that overlooks Ocean Drive, but even more beautiful at night, when the daylights go down and the blue color of the hotel lights come on, taking part along with the other neighboring hotels to a combination of light postcard.
My room on the first floor was above all expectations, clean, tidy and with adequate comfort to a 3-star hotel.
For $ 40 per night frankly I expected much, much less.
Unfortunately, the window of my room not facing the Ocean, but it did not matter ..
Since this is bordered by cafes and restaurants, the evening was easy to feel a little noise come from outside, but it's South Beach, and this is desirable.
The hotel also has a bar and a restaurant at the reception, not included in the room price, I personally received a breakfast and dinner, prices are high and the food is not that great, but the location is excellent.
The reception staff was very friendly both at check-in to check-out.
From the Miami Dade airport to the hotel o vice-versa can be reached by a bus, the price is about $ 4 and the journey get 40 minutes, or more quickly by taxi in 15 minutes you will spend around $ 25.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, thank you for the honest, detailed and expansive review! Seeing the number of reviews you have left on Tripadvisor it is apparent that you are a very seasoned traveler, your opinion of our property is very much appreciated!
Grand Junction, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

If you are looking for modern comfort go someplace else, if you are looking for Art Deco cool, this is an awesome place. It was a great price and right in the middle of all the fun. The building is old, but rooms are modern and clean. It has a very small bathroom. Parking is valet only at $26 a day.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you Sarah for the wonderful review! The Colony Hotel has plenty of old school charm with a blend of new school decor, we are happy to know you enjoyed your stay!
Cape May, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

I had been in town for the boat show and stayed in town before heading to the Keys. Upon returning from the Keys I needed a place to stay for the night for an early morning flight. I did some research and the Colony sounded fine for a one night stay. I checked the outside of the hotel out while attending the boat show. Loved the location directly across from the beach and on the strip. Ate at the outside cafe of the hotel while checking thingss out, wish I ate anywhere else. Horrible service and lousy food. I had to send a vodka and diet back because it was flat and had no vodka in it/or very little. The replacement drink was the same. The waiter said any drink you order that requires the soda gun will be the same. He didn't care and said that is how they serve drinks.

Ok back to the hotel stay itself. You may ask why I stayed after a bad lunch a few days before checking in. First of all it appearred that some of the cafe out front of the hotels may be operations that lease kitchen space from the hotels they are in front of on the sidewalk. I gave the hotel a pass based on this theory. Second I'm a guy and simply needed a place to crash for the night before a dawn flight. Upon arriving I found a grungy looking guy at the front desk, looked like he hadn't change clothes in a few days. Went up to the room it was very basic, bathroom was dated but clean. Took me a half hour to set the clock radio time, buttons were worn out. Turned the TV on and found about a third of the channels had bad reception. Thought I would use the DVD player, not no batteries in the remote. Oh well off to diner, not out front been there don e that. I went up the street had a nice meal and returned to the hotel. I got to fall asleep about six times in five hours, the hallway echos into the room. I was in the last room at the end of the hallway and could still hear everyone coming up the steps or getting off the elevator. Don't believe it when they say the rooms are quite!

Well I survived the night and went to the desk to check out. Different guy at the front desk, a little dirter and even less intellegent than the guy at check-in. I took about about twenty minutes because he could get the computer to work. He called someone and didn't get an answer. He kept trying and finally I was able to check out. I was beginning to think of the Eagles Hotel California. I will certainly stay somewhere else next time. There are plenty of hotels on South Beach in the Art Deco District at the same price point. I would recommend you do the same!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!!!!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
zero11382, Director of Sales at Colony Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Dave, I apologize about your bad experience, it is not the norm at our property...you are correct in stating that most of the restaurants in Ocean Drive are leased out to private companies/investors, which is also the case for the Colony Cafe.
Buffalo, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I booked a 3 night stay at The Colony Hotel in South Beach, Miami for a surprise for my boyfriend's birthday. We went to South Beach together for the first time last year (March 2012) and stayed at a boutique hotel on Collins Avenue. Although we were happy with those accommodations I wanted to really surprise him by staying right on the beach on Ocean Drive. Every night life photograph of South Beach always has the famous Colony Hotel in the background, so I decided to stay here this time around.

Unfortunately I have to say we will not be returning to The Colony Hotel for any future visits to South Beach. I read numerous reviews on trip advisor prior to booking this hotel, and although most weren't great, I chose to stay here anyways because neither of us are the “knit picky traveler”. We are usually quite satisfied with a clean, functioning room for a place to shower and sleep. Well that's where The Colony crossed the line with us. First of all let me say you can not beat the location. It is perfect. You are directly across from the beach and right in the middle of all the action. Because of that we tolerated the 3 days we stayed here. We did not eat or drink at the hotel once so I can't comment on that. The room was very small, and like I said we were really only there to shower and sleep. However we kept finding ourselves tripping over and bumping into one another just trying to get ready. Apparently this place doesn't believe in light fixtures. The hallways are incredibly dingy and dark (not to mention fowl smelling....a mix of some illegal substances and awful cleaning solution). The actual room literally had TWO light bulbs in it. There was only one small lamp in between the two beds and one dingy light in the bathroom. It was always dark and hard to get ready in that type of ambiance. The only mirror in the entire room was a tiny one in the bathroom above the sink. As a female, I found it very difficult to get ready with that being the only mirror because my boyfriend would be in the shower and the bathroom didn't have a fan, the mirror would automatically fog up. We had no tissues in the entire room and there was only one small garbage can in the bathroom. I understand and appreciate that this is an original Art Deco hotel, but simple things like the aforementioned can be modified and added to accommodate their guests more. Now for the worst….we didn't have any warm water to shower with for two out of the three days. Yes, being in the Miami heat all day you want to cool off, but leave that to the air conditioning. When I need to shower I would at least expect luke warm water. However for two days I showered in freezing cold water. When I called the front desk the first day, the guy told me "ok ill turn it on, give it three minutes". Turn it on?! Why the heck was it off? Well after ten minutes I couldn't wait any longer because we were in a hurry to meet friends for dinner, so I showered in the cold. The second day I let the water run 15-20 minutes before calling to complain, but it never got slightly warm. When I called I got an almost identical response telling me to wait 3 minutes. Again, I waited over 10-15 and ended up taking a cold shower. Irate, I phoned the front desk to express my anger. The guy basically offered me no apologies, solution, etc. Instead after stuttering, told me I can see the manager when she comes in later. Well unfortunately we were checking out in an hour before her arrival, as it was our last day here (thank god). When we did check out an hour later, I couldn’t help but notice the “facebook page” pulled up on the computer screen at the front desk. Apparently surfing facebook was more important than attending to and helping their guests.

We ended up extending our trip one day longer (due to flight delays on the way there). For our last day we booked a room back at the boutique hotel on Collins that we stayed at the previous year. Upon arrival and throughout the stay we couldn't have been happier (except for wishing we had stayed there the entire time). We learned our lesson, and all the Ocean Drive beachfront hype isn't worth staying at a hotel that I felt as though they should have been paying us to stay at. (We looked at the boulevard hotel next door and asked to see a room, I almost threw up. The most disgusting place I have ever seen. I can't believe they can charge guests to stay there). Collins Avenue is less than a 5 min walk to the beach and was so worth staying at the boutique hotel we stayed at. One other complaint (not directly in relation to The Colony though) was that you could not walk down Ocean Drive at any time of day without being hassled and heckled by EVERY single restaurant host asking you to dine at their restaurant, as they are trying to shove a menu in your face. We got so sick of it we ended up walking on the Beach side of Ocean Drive. My final advice…. either book a hotel on Collins and walk to the beach, or splurge and pay for a very fancy hotel right on Ocean Drive, where you may have the proper facilities to shower and sleep comfortably. (Please note – both myself and my boyfriend are both in our mid 20’s, we like having fun and spend most of our time outside of the hotel room and this hotel’s accommodations still drove me CRAZY!!)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, thank you for the detailed review, please call me at 305-604-5068 Ext. 3001 or email me your contact info at sales@thekenthotel.com - I promise you that I will make it up to you for the horrible experience you had, I look forward to speaking with you.