“Disappointed with the Colony!!” 2 of 5 stars

Colony Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   736 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #124 of 204 Hotels in Miami Beach
Buffalo, New York
“Disappointed with the Colony!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I booked a 3 night stay at The Colony Hotel in South Beach, Miami for a surprise for my boyfriend's birthday. We went to South Beach together for the first time last year (March 2012) and stayed at a boutique hotel on Collins Avenue. Although we were happy with those accommodations I wanted to really surprise him by staying right on the beach on Ocean Drive. Every night life photograph of South Beach always has the famous Colony Hotel in the background, so I decided to stay here this time around.

Unfortunately I have to say we will not be returning to The Colony Hotel for any future visits to South Beach. I read numerous reviews on trip advisor prior to booking this hotel, and although most weren't great, I chose to stay here anyways because neither of us are the “knit picky traveler”. We are usually quite satisfied with a clean, functioning room for a place to shower and sleep. Well that's where The Colony crossed the line with us. First of all let me say you can not beat the location. It is perfect. You are directly across from the beach and right in the middle of all the action. Because of that we tolerated the 3 days we stayed here. We did not eat or drink at the hotel once so I can't comment on that. The room was very small, and like I said we were really only there to shower and sleep. However we kept finding ourselves tripping over and bumping into one another just trying to get ready. Apparently this place doesn't believe in light fixtures. The hallways are incredibly dingy and dark (not to mention fowl smelling....a mix of some illegal substances and awful cleaning solution). The actual room literally had TWO light bulbs in it. There was only one small lamp in between the two beds and one dingy light in the bathroom. It was always dark and hard to get ready in that type of ambiance. The only mirror in the entire room was a tiny one in the bathroom above the sink. As a female, I found it very difficult to get ready with that being the only mirror because my boyfriend would be in the shower and the bathroom didn't have a fan, the mirror would automatically fog up. We had no tissues in the entire room and there was only one small garbage can in the bathroom. I understand and appreciate that this is an original Art Deco hotel, but simple things like the aforementioned can be modified and added to accommodate their guests more. Now for the worst….we didn't have any warm water to shower with for two out of the three days. Yes, being in the Miami heat all day you want to cool off, but leave that to the air conditioning. When I need to shower I would at least expect luke warm water. However for two days I showered in freezing cold water. When I called the front desk the first day, the guy told me "ok ill turn it on, give it three minutes". Turn it on?! Why the heck was it off? Well after ten minutes I couldn't wait any longer because we were in a hurry to meet friends for dinner, so I showered in the cold. The second day I let the water run 15-20 minutes before calling to complain, but it never got slightly warm. When I called I got an almost identical response telling me to wait 3 minutes. Again, I waited over 10-15 and ended up taking a cold shower. Irate, I phoned the front desk to express my anger. The guy basically offered me no apologies, solution, etc. Instead after stuttering, told me I can see the manager when she comes in later. Well unfortunately we were checking out in an hour before her arrival, as it was our last day here (thank god). When we did check out an hour later, I couldn’t help but notice the “facebook page” pulled up on the computer screen at the front desk. Apparently surfing facebook was more important than attending to and helping their guests.

We ended up extending our trip one day longer (due to flight delays on the way there). For our last day we booked a room back at the boutique hotel on Collins that we stayed at the previous year. Upon arrival and throughout the stay we couldn't have been happier (except for wishing we had stayed there the entire time). We learned our lesson, and all the Ocean Drive beachfront hype isn't worth staying at a hotel that I felt as though they should have been paying us to stay at. (We looked at the boulevard hotel next door and asked to see a room, I almost threw up. The most disgusting place I have ever seen. I can't believe they can charge guests to stay there). Collins Avenue is less than a 5 min walk to the beach and was so worth staying at the boutique hotel we stayed at. One other complaint (not directly in relation to The Colony though) was that you could not walk down Ocean Drive at any time of day without being hassled and heckled by EVERY single restaurant host asking you to dine at their restaurant, as they are trying to shove a menu in your face. We got so sick of it we ended up walking on the Beach side of Ocean Drive. My final advice…. either book a hotel on Collins and walk to the beach, or splurge and pay for a very fancy hotel right on Ocean Drive, where you may have the proper facilities to shower and sleep comfortably. (Please note – both myself and my boyfriend are both in our mid 20’s, we like having fun and spend most of our time outside of the hotel room and this hotel’s accommodations still drove me CRAZY!!)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
zero11382, Director of Sales at Colony Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Guest, thank you for the detailed review, please call me at 305-604-5068 Ext. 3001 or email me your contact info at sales@thekenthotel.com - I promise you that I will make it up to you for the horrible experience you had, I look forward to speaking with you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Bethesda, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We were down in South beach...wanted to find a place for dinner. It was "Art Deco Weekend" and things were crazy. Alot of the Hotels and Restaurants along Ocean Drive extended their dining areas out into the street (since it was closed for the festival).

We had a lot of maître d's out in the street hammering away for our business shouting "20% off everything on the menu", "30% off everything on the menu!".....finally we got snagged by the Colony Hotel gal with "50% off everything on the menu!!!" Fine...sounds like a good deal. The food was ok. Not bad, but nothing to get excited about. The service was ok but uninspired. The men's bathroom looks like it was a converted broom closet...you literally need to duck your head for the low ceiling while peeing.

I had a Cuban Sandwich; not bad.... My wife had soup & salad; just ok.

We didn't say in the hotel but looks like an glamorized American Pensione for Euro Travelers.

Don't get me wrong...I like South Beach....but this meal was nothing to get excited about.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Dave, thank you for the review, since it was not a hotel related review I hope all the other trip advisor members and travelers can distinguish that from the review, we lease out our restaurant space to an outside company so we do not have anything to do with the restaurant on an operational basis
Mansfield, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

This hotel is a great location to see south beach.
The side walk restaraunts streach a way to both sides and beach is right across the street.
The room was beautiful and comfortable, but a little small.
The staff are friendly and knowledgeable and the tours offered were fabulous.

Room Tip: The front rooms are the only ones that look over south beach.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you Thomas for the great review, we are happy to know you enjoyed your stay at the property, please come back and visit us again!
Brighton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights during the Art Deco festival.

Unfortunately we had already stayed at the Beacon, 2 doors away, and we were hoping for a similarly terrific experience....we were VERY disappointed!!

To be fair, the room was clean and fresh and nicely decorated and furnished. The bathroom was small but clean and functional.

The thing which lets this hotel down completely is the attitude of the dek staff. They are surly, unhelpful, argumentative, borderline agressive, dis-honest and frankly couldn't care less if you have a problem.

The safe in our room did not work. When I reported this to the desk I was given various excuses and, to be frank, lies, as to why that was and what was being done about it. The true answer was nothing and they really didn't care. They just wanted me to go away and stop bothering them. After receiving a 'Guarantee' that the safe would be fixed the next day...guess what....it wasn't fixed! The desk staff did offer that we could staple our passports, cash reserves and other valuables into a manila envelope which they would keep behind the desk...but frankly I wouldn't trust these people with my half empty bottle of inexpensive shampoo let alone my passport and crucial valuables. So we ended up carrying all of our valuables around with us for the entire weekend...thanks guys...your attitude really stinks.

I thoroughly recommend that you do NOT stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Go to the Beacon Hotel, two doors away.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest, I'm a little appalled reading this review, there are many things outside of the hotels control but staff is one that is not, please reach out to me: sales@thekenthotel.com or 305-604-5068 Ext. 3001, I would really appreciate if you could inform me of who exactly you dealt with during your stay so that I can make sure no one has a similar experience.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel whilst on a driving trip around the area. Unfortunately for me I really would not recommend a stay. Whilst the room was adequate, the staff were poorly trained and it runs more like a youth hostel than a hotel.

Overall the standard of the hotel is not worth the money and having also stayed at a neighbouring hotel on the same trip, for the same price,I would suggest reading the reviews on this hotel, and book else where.......location is important but is available for a better standard.....try the Beacon two doors along!!!!!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Nicky, thank you for your review, I welcome you to contact me at 305-604-5068 Ext. 3001, I would like to speak to you in detail about your stay. I do not want any guest to feel they way you did about staff not being properly trained and I appreciate your feedback on what you think could have been done better so that you would not view us in that way.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

We stayed one night, the last night of a festival right on Ocean Drive. We had an ocean view room and it was beautifully furnished. Bonuses: ipod speaker dock, raindrop shower head, HUGE tv, and kind staff. Needed earplugs to sleep and it was a bit humid, but really, if you want fun,excitement, and warm weather, quiet and cool don't mix. Hello!! You're in South Beach!

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you Angee for your review, we are pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay!
Dartmouth, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

The only thing this hotel has going for it is the location to the beach - right across the street. The room was basic, but the WiFi was not working nor was the telephone in our room. The hair dryer did not work. The bed was awful! I wouldn't recomment this to anyone.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Wayne, we appreciate your review, but did you advise the Front Desk about the telephone and hair dryer? These are items which we keep new spares in stock to re-supply the rooms should they not work - please reach out to me at your earliest convenience at 305-604-5068 Ext. 3001 - I would like to speak to you about your stay in detail and see what I could do to make it up to you.

Been to Colony Hotel? Share your experiences!