“I would not stay at his hotel again” 1 of 5 stars

Colony Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   736 Ocean Drive, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #120 of 201 hotels in Miami Beach
Jard-sur-Mer, France
“I would not stay at his hotel again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Although the room was not a bad size and nicely decorated, the view from the window was disgusting - we were looking straight at the window of the restaurant next door 6 feet away and also and a rusty ventilator fan (photo attached). We stayed at the hotel for two nights and our bed was never made up properly.

Room Tip: Always request a beach view room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
zero11382, Director of Sales at Colony Hotel, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear Jacqueline, our apologies for the horrible window view, there is unfortunately, not much that we can do since we are in between two other buildings, one being the Johnny Rockets restaurant which seems to be the view you had - any suggestions that you think would have made you stay better are more than welcome - please send them to my attention at sales@thekenthotel.com

676 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

Wifi only works in the lobby area. No wifi in our room. It is a big minus for me as wifi was an important option when choosing a hotel. Location is great though! Rooms furnished from IKEA :-D Staff isn't very helpful. Will see if the other shift is better.

Dear Guest, thank you for the review, we are working on making our Wi-Fi network stronger as we have noticed some rooms get a weak signal, in the near future this won't be an issue at all
Commerce Township, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

The staff was friendly and immediately made us feel welcome. Harold provided great dining, shopping and other recommendations. The room was modern, clean and offered an amazing ocean view and Jacuzzi hot tub. This hotel is located right in the heart of South Beach and you can access so much. We loved the rental bikes along the beach path!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
zero11382, Director of Sales at Colony Hotel, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear Guest thank you for the wonderful review, we hope to have you back real soon!!
Gosport, Indiana, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I absolutely love the Colony Hotel! The hotel itself is in a great location, the food service was phenomenal, and the rooms are clean and stylish. But, more than the hotel itself, the staff was amazing. I didn't meet one employee who didn't do all they could to make sure my stay was comfortable. I felt like I had known these people most of my life. The staff went out of their way to get us whatever we needed, suggest places to go, help us with our bags, and just "be there." I expected to have a great time on my vacation with my friends, but I didn't expect to walk away from it with new friends I met at the hotel. That is exactly what happened, especially with the hotel manager, Harold Rondan. His kindness and excellent rapport with his staff and guests is exactly what every hotel needs. If you visit The Colony Hotel, make sure you ask to meet him. Wait! You won't need to. I am sure, without a doubt, you will know exactly who he is before you even read his name tag. Good people are a rarity these days, but Harold and his staff are definitely good people and I will stay there every time I visit Miami Beach!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Shelly, wow thank you for the great review, I'm glad to know that our guests are in good hands with our staff, especially Harold!
Indianapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

The colony hotel was the friendliest hotel i have been to in a long time and I travel often.Will be returning there in February and I can't wait. The rooms are very clean and cute. I recommend the colony hotel to everyone.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you Kristi for the wonderful review!!
Melbourne Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

The Colony Hotel is in a great location! Walking distance to anywhere you'd like to be, and a very cheap cab ride to anyplace outside of the SoBe center, as well as directly across the street to the Lummus park beach access. This is a true boutique hotel, so the room sizes reflect that--but that is expected. It is also older, so it explains a bit of the mechanical issues noted in other reviews--but the hotel staff is on it! They are also very Green there; so between guests they tend to unplug appliances and even turn off the water heater at night to save on energy consumption. But if you happen to fall into the window of when it is shut off and find a cold shower, a 2 second call to the front desk and they turn it on immediately! This place was also spotless; under the beds, in the corners, you name it. I have also never met a friendlier, more helpful or accommodating concierge than Harold. He was always smiling, always patient, always willing to help (be it to carry 5 girls worth of luggage up stairs, or load their luggage for them). He was very honest about clubs to go to and restaurants to eat at--and in no way was he putting other merchants down. He even called us directly when he realized we forgot some of our things, and met us on the curb to load them in for us. A great experience overall--will recommend to anyone in need,and will be the only place I stay at for future South Beach visits.

Room Tip: Room 105 has a recently upgraded bathroom, so it is larger with better lighting.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest, thank you for the great review, my favorite reviews are always the ones that mention how well staff treated our clients, Harold is quite the star at our property and I am not surprised at all about your comments regarding him, i'm happy to hear you had a wonderful stay and I hope you visit us once again (also being quite educated in the Art Deco architecture and history of the buildings in South Beach is always a plus!)
Edison, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

Location is the best part of this hotel. We stayed with a group, some encountered roaches. The power in our room went out twice because of the iron and hair dryer use while the AC unit was on. While there is an ice bucket in the room, there was no ice machine; I had to go outside to the side alley to get ice. The concierge was only friendly after what felt like pulling teeth to make them friendly. The front was being renovated and we had to use the side alley door and were not notified of renovations prior to check-in. You want a cheap stay and don't have high standards, go ahead and stay here, if not there are plenty of other hotels on the strip to choose from.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest, I have to say that I'm very surprised to read your review, we closed down the hotel for 3 days in early November to fumigate with a tarp, as most hotels with numerous restaurants nearby must do every other year to limit any pest issues, so reading that your friends spotted a roach was quite disappointing. For all Tripadvisors members, I would like to comment on the power issue of your room since it is something that happens at our other properties as well (we have 3 in South Beach) - if you plug in a hair dryer into the same outlet as an A/C unit you will most likely trip a breaker, causing a temporary short in the room - since our A/C's are window units they pull a lot of power, a hair dryer also pulls quite a bit of juice and when you combine those two in the same outlet you can almost guarantee a short (just a useful tip for travelers out there)

Been to Colony Hotel? Share your experiences!