“BEWARE!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #124 of 201 Hotels in Miami Beach
SIDCUP
“BEWARE!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

The 1st room we were given had no a/c working and no door on safe as if it had been broken into as i wanted a safe to put money and passports etc we asked to move we were given the room next door which looked better but on entering we found this to be the same, safe had a door but could not be locked a/c only blew warm air no man to fix it, no other rooms available, so we had to put up with it, Day two we returned to our room to find fire alarm going off when told all they done was pulled the alarm off the ceiling and left us to sweat away..Glad to move on,,, also beware of valet charges which are 24 dollars per night BIG CON but they all do it,,,
probably better suited to backpackers as it reminded me of a Y,M.C.A.

Room Tip: Sadly they all look the same, try elsewhere
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
zero11382, Director of Sales at Colony Hotel, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Dear Guest, I'm sorry to read about your experience at the property, I would urge you to reach out to me via email (sales@thekenthotel.com) or via phone 305-604-5068 Ext. 3001 to speak in detail about your stay. I cannot fathom why a safe would not have a "door" to it much less why it wouldn't be able to close, or why a functioning A/C would be left in a room..please contact me at your earliest convenience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

The Colony has a great location, right in the heart of South Beach with plenty of nightlife around and the beach just across the street. The rooms are fresh, clean and functional, though nothing outstanding and they do have some noise issues. For the price paid though, the accommodation is pretty good value considering the location. The staff were generally friendly and helpful, especially the guys in the small lobby bar. Some of the front desk staff could do with some enthusiasm though. The male staff member working on the morning of 19th September really shouldn't be in the hospitality industry - I witnessed the most appalling complaint handling I have ever seen, a young South American couple were asking to change rooms (not an unreasonable request) and his response was something like "I really don't believe your reason for wanting to change rooms, I've worked here long enough to know when a guest is lying". That was my final impression of the hotel as I was checking out, so I guess it might have tainted my view of it!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest, thank you for the informative review, management will definitely look into this incident as it is not what we expect from our staff nor will it be condoned, no one should be responded to in that manner regardless of the nature of their complaint.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012 via mobile

YOU CAN'T GO WRONG!!!!! Weve been away from the colony and miami for 2 weeks now, and my heart still yearns for it... I can't beleive this place has had negative feedback, Your on Ocean drive and its priced way under other hotels on the strip... And don't get me started on the service. Alberto received us on the first day, and didn't stop showing us an amazing standard of service though out the rest of our vacation , He even took care of us one night after too many cocktails. Lol. They say " ask us for anything ". And they mean it!!

Ryan and Sarah NS Canada

• Stayed October 2012
Dear Ryan and Sarah, thank you for the wonderful review, it never tires to read that staff was one of the memorable experiences of a guests trip!
Cape Town
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed here 2 nights after a Caribbean cruise. Hotel was recommended by ship staff. Location awesome on Beach Road. Beds were terrible.... squeaked with every move we made. Very strong smell in reception area when we arrived of some or other cleaning solution, was rather offputting. Never used bar or restaurant, better ones next door with better vibe. News Cafe a block or so away, open 24/7 - good food.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
zero11382, Director of Sales at Colony Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear Guest, thank you for the good review, please contact me at sales@thekenthotel.com, I would like to know which room you stayed in, this way we can look into the creaky bed and see if we can correct that issue or if it's time to purchase a new one, looking forward to speaking to you.
Boca Raton, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I've stayed in many hotels but this particular one is amazing. I was being helped immediatly with great customer service. The staff, was being very attentive. The hotel was clean. Harold the manager is the best! he made sure we were taking care of, also there is another gentleman name Albert which was great too. I plan to come again I totally recomend it!

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest, thank you for the wonderful review, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at the property and we hope you come visit us again real soon.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights before a cruise out of Miami. Room itself was pretty clean. A/C worked well. Saw a large roach on the wall in the stairwell. My sister had 2 large bugs in her room. It's FL so whatever, but I think they should have done better with the fumigation. 1 elevator and it was out one day (all day) Employees ranged from helpful to almost rude. I won't return but the location was great and the price was ok.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Guest, sorry to hear about your troubles at the property. I would like to inform you that the hotel just tented/fumigated the property in Mid-September, whenever you have a restaurant on site fumigation becomes much harder and much more important - unfortuantely with regards to the elevator we only have one (the building was built in 1936) and it is part of the Miami Beach Historic Preservation Society, even should we want to add a new elevator we would not be able to.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I stayed at the Colony Hotel on 11/09/2012 until 13/09/2012 before travelling onto Florida. Hotel was not what I was expecting. Hotel is very small and I would rate it perhaps a 2 star hotel. My complaint is that they told me my hotel bill was still to be paid but I knew I had paid everything 1 year previous to my trip and didn't owe anybody any money, I informed them of this and they told me to contact my travel agent in Glasgow, I did this - 3 phone calls later on my mobile - everything was apparently sorted. On the morning I was leaving - the man on reception told me that my bill was still to be paid, explained everything to him but previous phone calls and how it was sorted out but he just kept saying that I had to pay bill again. He refused to call the manager, refused to call the person who was on reception when barrhead travel called them, refused to call Barrhead Travel and refused to call american company who book hotels in America for Barrhead. He then became very rude to me about taking the money from my credit card account (you have to leave credit card details when you check-in). I WOULD NOT recommend this hotel - due to staff mainly. Rooms were small but clean enough.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Norman, since I am the person responsible for putting in the majority of reservations in our property management system as well as the person who deals with travel agencies when issues pop up I can confirm to you that the hotel did not do anything out of character. We were advised by the agency in the U.S. which booked your room that they were unable to get payment from your agency in the U.K. prior to your check-in, when this happens the hotel has no choice but to charge the guest directly for their stay, should either agency (whether it be the U.S. travel agency or the U.K. agency) contact the hotel and provide written confirmation that they will accept the responsibility of the cost of said room then we would bill them directly instead of you, which is what I assume was done regardign your issue. If you wish to speak to me in further detail about what occurred please reach out to me at 305-604-5068 Ext. 3001 or email me at sales@thekenthotel.com

Been to Colony Hotel? Share your experiences!