“Awesome location” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #135 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Cape Town
“Awesome location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed here 2 nights after a Caribbean cruise. Hotel was recommended by ship staff. Location awesome on Beach Road. Beds were terrible.... squeaked with every move we made. Very strong smell in reception area when we arrived of some or other cleaning solution, was rather offputting. Never used bar or restaurant, better ones next door with better vibe. News Cafe a block or so away, open 24/7 - good food.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
zero11382, Director of Sales at Colony Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Dear Guest, thank you for the good review, please contact me at sales@thekenthotel.com, I would like to know which room you stayed in, this way we can look into the creaky bed and see if we can correct that issue or if it's time to purchase a new one, looking forward to speaking to you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
Boca Raton, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

I've stayed in many hotels but this particular one is amazing. I was being helped immediatly with great customer service. The staff, was being very attentive. The hotel was clean. Harold the manager is the best! he made sure we were taking care of, also there is another gentleman name Albert which was great too. I plan to come again I totally recomend it!

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest, thank you for the wonderful review, I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at the property and we hope you come visit us again real soon.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights before a cruise out of Miami. Room itself was pretty clean. A/C worked well. Saw a large roach on the wall in the stairwell. My sister had 2 large bugs in her room. It's FL so whatever, but I think they should have done better with the fumigation. 1 elevator and it was out one day (all day) Employees ranged from helpful to almost rude. I won't return but the location was great and the price was ok.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Guest, sorry to hear about your troubles at the property. I would like to inform you that the hotel just tented/fumigated the property in Mid-September, whenever you have a restaurant on site fumigation becomes much harder and much more important - unfortuantely with regards to the elevator we only have one (the building was built in 1936) and it is part of the Miami Beach Historic Preservation Society, even should we want to add a new elevator we would not be able to.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I stayed at the Colony Hotel on 11/09/2012 until 13/09/2012 before travelling onto Florida. Hotel was not what I was expecting. Hotel is very small and I would rate it perhaps a 2 star hotel. My complaint is that they told me my hotel bill was still to be paid but I knew I had paid everything 1 year previous to my trip and didn't owe anybody any money, I informed them of this and they told me to contact my travel agent in Glasgow, I did this - 3 phone calls later on my mobile - everything was apparently sorted. On the morning I was leaving - the man on reception told me that my bill was still to be paid, explained everything to him but previous phone calls and how it was sorted out but he just kept saying that I had to pay bill again. He refused to call the manager, refused to call the person who was on reception when barrhead travel called them, refused to call Barrhead Travel and refused to call american company who book hotels in America for Barrhead. He then became very rude to me about taking the money from my credit card account (you have to leave credit card details when you check-in). I WOULD NOT recommend this hotel - due to staff mainly. Rooms were small but clean enough.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Norman, since I am the person responsible for putting in the majority of reservations in our property management system as well as the person who deals with travel agencies when issues pop up I can confirm to you that the hotel did not do anything out of character. We were advised by the agency in the U.S. which booked your room that they were unable to get payment from your agency in the U.K. prior to your check-in, when this happens the hotel has no choice but to charge the guest directly for their stay, should either agency (whether it be the U.S. travel agency or the U.K. agency) contact the hotel and provide written confirmation that they will accept the responsibility of the cost of said room then we would bill them directly instead of you, which is what I assume was done regardign your issue. If you wish to speak to me in further detail about what occurred please reach out to me at 305-604-5068 Ext. 3001 or email me at sales@thekenthotel.com
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I travel to Miami two or three times a year and when I'm in South Beach always stay at the Colony. Yes, I've tried many other hotels, but the Colony has the best rooms, services and location, and NEVER lets me down. This is an affordable, cool and historic art deco hotel, right next to the News Cafe with great staff and all the rooms are newly renovated and have amazing TV's. The beds are comfortable, the maid service is prompt and provide top quality towels and bedding. I've stayed here over 10 times and always left happy and looking forward to returning.
Thank you Colony!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking Ocean Drive.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Thank you Marc for the wonderful review, I'm very happy to hear we are your hotel of choice while in South Beach and we hope to strive to your expectations every time so that we remain your one and only choice!
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Obvious,y no one wants to drive and pay for parking in south beach so I decided to stay on the strip. Great location for sure. Carlos the hotel manager did what he could to make our stay enjoyable. However we didn't get the room I paid for. The bathroom was dirty. I don't know. Wouldn't be returning. Not even for the location. Our friends stayed at the Modrian South Beach just 5 blocks away and my boyfriend and I looked at each other and know we messed up! Same price way better everything!

Room Tip: Doesn't matter what you book. It's not a guaranteed.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Jessenia, sorry to hear you did not receive the room you had booked, I'm not sure where you booked but I can assure you that if it was booked on our website or directly through the Front Desk you would receive what you booked, I mention this because a lot of 3rd party vendors offer ROH (Run of House) rooms and detail that you will receive whatever the hotel has in stock in the fine print, if you would contact me at sales@thekenthotel.com I can look into your stay to find out what went wrong and make amends should it have been the hotels fault. Please contact me at your earliest convenience.
bronx
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

OK. I have never written a review for any establishment that I have been to, but I feel inclined to do so for The Colony Hotel. First off, the reason why I chose this hotel was for the amazing location (beach right across the street, wet willies on the corner, mangos a street down, johnny rockets right next door), but that's where the positivity stops.

We have a late flight, so you WOULD think that check in at 11:30pm would be smooth, NOT THE CASE HERE. The front desk person, who I forgot his name, but he did say he was Haitian and he had a weird little mustache (in case anyone who works there wants to have a talk with him), at first, he didn't want to take the card I orignially booked with because he didn't know that they can take debit cards.....(.......) and he COMPLETELY DISREGARDED to tell me that they take out a deposit just in case you get crazy and mess the room up (I will get to this in a moment). He was cursing and banging on the machine that activates our room cards because they weren't processing. I told him that we will be back for one of the cards because he have prior engagements and had to start getting ready--he didn't let us.

FINALLY, after 10 minutes of this weirdo, we get to our room, and at first, we say "AAWWWW, this is CUTE" and they accommodated my requests for no carpet, and a cold AC. I immediately check for bedbug signs (because you just never know) and to my surprise, we find droppings underneath the sheets (it's bedbug droppings--i googled it). I then go downstairs to put in my complaint, but this guy "cant do anything about it" soooooo we pretty much had to sleep together on the other bed, even though we specifically reserved a deluxe double for a reason

Moving along, we only stood there for a few hours and proceeded with out weekend.

WE NEVER GOT HOUSEKEEPING
WE NEVER GOT NEW SHEETS, NEW TOWELS, OR TOILET PAPER
I'm sorry, I should not constantly ASK for this.

Room service was a joke, the delivery lady ASKED for a tip (uuummm, no)
They just did not care about their guests.

Remember when I mentioned earlier about the deposit? Well, Had I been told this during checkout, I would have made sure to put in more money on my card because I only used that card for the hotel. Turns out, I didn't have enough funds to check out because of the $57 they took out and DIDNT tell me about....so my friend had to use her card.

They said by Wednesday it should be back on my card....it's wednesday, where is the money???

Point is, I would NEVER return to this hotel.
Message to the Manager, or someone who cares in that establishment: I've never experience such horrible customer service. There needs to be a stricter training process and daily evaluations of your staff. Horrid, simply horrid.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Mercedes, so that you are aware the gentleman whom you encountered during your check-in was new at the time and he was dismissed of his position due to other issues. I'm very sorry that you had to experience such treatment, I would like to correct your remark about bed bugs though. The hotel contracts an outside company for pest services bi-monthly, we do not have any bed bugs issues at the hotel. As any exterminator can attest, it is almost impossible to verify the existence of bed bugs by marks or "droppings" on sheets or a mattress, neither can you determine what is a bed bug bite versus a mosquito bite for example. Regarding your Debit card, upon check-in our staff is trained to get a credit card/debit card or cash deposit not only for the room but for incidentals, any hold or authorziation placed on a card typically drops off within 3 to 5 business days (this is not governed by the hotel, it is determined by the speed in which you card issuer works) - since Debit cards are not credit cards the holds show up as a "charge" and then simply disappear once the hold drops off, this information should have been provided to you upon check-in, and I apologize if it was not. Please contact me at your earliest convenience at sales@thekenthotel.com or at 305-604-5068 Ext. 3001 should you wish to speak in further detail about your stay.

Been to Colony Hotel? Share your experiences!