“Watch the prices!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #42 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Los Angeles, California
“Watch the prices!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

The Clevelander on Ocean Boulevard is a really lively place that almost seduces you to join the party when you walk past! There is always a party atmosphere going on in the Courtyard, and everyone there is up for it.
We were walking past last Friday afternoon, and there was a D-J banging out tunes of the moment, lots of people grouped round the various bars, and everything and everyone looked great! I looked at the cocktail menu and decided to have a bottle of Pino Grigio listed at $26, which I thought wasn't a bad price, but then it was 4 pm on a Friday afternoon, which is part of their "Happy Hour". I had decided that we wouldn't eat here, preferring the more sedate ******* in which to spend my penultimate dinner in Miami! The food flying past did look pretty good for bar food, and everyone was clearing their plate.
What did annoy me, was when I asked for the tab. The Pino Grigio I had ordered had been substituted by a $42 bottle of Pino Grigio, and whilst it was a pretty decent bottle of wine, the fact I considered that I had been "ripped off", spoilt the whole experience for me.
My advice to anyone indulging in an afternoon of cocktails and/wine, no matter where they are in Miami, is to confirm the prices with the waiter. In doing so, you will satisfy for yourself early on, exactly what you are likely to be paying. Other than that, I highly recommend the place. don't be taken in though by the waiting staff's apparent difficulty with the language. It only occurs when there is a problem, and in my experience, most waiters in Miami, are (a) Highly professional and (b) multi-lingual.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
ClevelanderMgmt, Guest Relations Manager at Clevelander South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2013
Hello George,

Thank you for your review of the Clevelander South Beach. We value our customers and you feedback is greatly appreciated. We are very happy to hear that you found the Clevelander to be such a lively and enjoyable place! On the other hand, we apologize for any inconvenience with the bottle pricing. This issue will be addressed with our team to make certain that it does not happen again. Thank you for recommending the Clevelander to others. We look forward to you visit you again soon!

Regards,
Maria

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
Roxbury, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We went for a long weekend with several of our friends. It was exactly what we were looking for a good party! Service was excellent, Chad was very helpful and friendly offering to arrange rides to and from the airport and even order us a bottle for our room. There was always something going on at the hotel. Would definetly return to the Clevelander.

Room Tip: If you are looking for sleep request a room not overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I stayed at The Clevelander with my best friend for our 30th....it was exactly what we needed with the party atmosphere.
1. Staff were friendly and professional especially Domingo and Chad. Chad was able to set up bottle service for us at a local club for a pretty good deal. He even sent a complimentary bottle to our room when he found out that we were in town for our birthday.
2. DJ was on point all weekend playing top 40 hits.
3. Their daily happy hour was quite cheap compared to the prices in South Beach.
4. I recommend the ocean view rooms because they are bigger; I had the pool view room which was on the smaller side but ok for 2 people. Rooms were cleaned on a daily basis.
5. If you are looking to stay here for a quiet weekend, I definitely do not recommend it! This is truly party central and it worked out perfectly for my 30th.

Room Tip: If you need lots of space, I recommend the ocean view rooms! My friends booked that room and it was...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

Me and my girlfriend arrived at The hotel After 5 days in new York in search of good weather and fun. Since the initial minute the staff treat us very very good. The bar is awesome, The rooms are Well designed and quiet (that Was very surprising taking in considertion that the music is really loud at the Bar) , you can also use the pool in the essex house which is small but cosy and there's an exellent asian restaurant next to it. Thank you to all the people that runs the hotel , specially to Lyle and Eric for their help and kindness

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Lansing, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We booked a room at the Clevelander several months ago for a recent long weekend in January. We had read the reviews online, so we thought we knew what to expect. We thought the location was perfect and that we could put up with a few inconveniences. There were 4 of us traveling and we had two rooms booked. As soon as we stepped out of the cab in front of the hotel we got worried! Loud, booming music was coming off the hotel courtyard and onto the street. We checked in with the very friendly staff and were immediately brought pina coladas. We walked into our room and loved it. It was a corner room on the fourth floor looking out over the courtyard and beach. Our luggage arrived shortly after and everything in the room was explained to us. The room was on the small side, but very clean and modern with lots of natural light. Our second uh-oh moment was when we saw the earplugs on the nightstand. We immediately headed out for dinner and drinks with our friends. We got back about midnight and because we had traveled that day (Thursday) we were tired and decided to go to bed. We did exactly that, went to bed, but not to sleep. Not only was the music loud (the earplugs did help), the light show from the bar came right through our bathroom window, and you could literally feel the vibration from the booming music. This went on until about 3:30 in the morning. Having had little sleep, we met our friends for breakfast and expected they had the same kind of night. We were surprised when they said they slept well. The were in a room in the front of the building facing the street, but not the courtyard. They said they had to use their earplugs, but slept fairly well. We immediately requested a room change and after they gave us a little bit of a hard time, they put us in a room at the sister hotel immediately behind the Clevelander, the Essex. The room at the Essex was pretty standard, but clean and QUIET! We are middle aged and like to have a good time, but the Clevelander is clearly party central for Ocean drive. If you have any doubts about staying here based on the reviews you read, do not stay at the Clevelander. You can stay close by and still go there to party if you wish. We would not book a room here again.

Room Tip: If you do stay here and want to sleep while it is dark, get a room that does not face the courtyard.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Beacon Traveler,

Thank you for your review of the Clevelander. Your feedback is very important to us. We are very glad to hear that our staff was welcoming and friendly. We are sorry to hear that the music was a bother, but we are glad to hear that the situation was resolved by moving you to our sister hotel. The issues that you discussed will be addressed with our team, so that they can be resolved. We hope that you will visit us during your next stay at South Beach!

Best,
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

I've stayed on Ocean Drive in South Beach a few times. For those that have never been there, the hotels, restuarants and bars are all set amongst old hotels which harken back to the '40s and '50s I believe. In the '80s most of the buildings were used as retirement communities. Then a revival occurred and today you have one very popular spot in Miami Beach.

The Clevelander is by far one of the better hotels I've stayed in. Upon arrival our reservation was missing in the hotel's computer system. After some researching by both the front desk and manager they found mine and my colleague's reservations. For being as patient as we were they upgraded us all at no extra charge to ocean front rooms. This was in addition to the nice complimentary Piña Colada they gave us while we waited.

The rooms were quite clean and thoroughly updated using modern conveniences to supplement the nostalgic rooms. The bed was comfortable and the linens clean.

Service was very good overall. Unfortunately, I find South Beach to be a hotspot for rude, shallow and self absorbed people that are more about looks amd impressing others than substance. The hotel staff bear no resemblance of these qualities and were helpful in every way while being polite and courteous. It was my oasis in "SoBe".

One thing to note: the Clevelander has one of the best bars on South Beach and the music goes on until the wee hours of the morning most nights. If you have a business meeting early the next morning (like I did) my suggestion is to ask the hotel staff to put you in a room as far away as possible. Otherwise a restful night's sleep will be elusive. Fortunately my room was on the opposite side of the building that faces the bar and I had a pleasant night.

If my travels take me back to South Beach The Clevelander will definitely have my business again.

• Stayed February 2013
ClevelanderMgmt, Guest Relations Manager at Clevelander South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Hello GatorBri75,

Thank you for your feedback of the Clevelander South Beach. We are thrilled to hear that you consider the Clevelander to be one of the better hotels that you have stayed at. We are glad that management was able to upgrade you and that you enjoyed your piña coladas. Additionally, we are very happy that you were satisfied with the conditions of your room and the overall service! At the Clevelander, we strive for excellent customer service, so we will let our associates know of your positive feedback! We look forward to hosting you again soon!

Best,