“Fantastic on many levels!” 4 of 5 stars

Catalina Hotel & Beach Club
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1732-1756 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #88 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
morgantown
“Fantastic on many levels!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

I couldn't have been happier with my choice to stay at The Catalina. It was my first time to South Beach and I did a lot of research and I kept coming back to this hotel. We stayed in Room 357 in the Classic Comfort rooms and I was very pleased. I read some reviews about the rooms being small a few other cosmetic details about the hotel but considering the price and the location I was a very happy customer. All of your staff was amazing. From the shuttle driver to the man at the pool to the housekeeping staff...I was very happy. I would also like to say that ALL of the food and beverage staff I encountered were great. Fantastic service! From Kris, alyissa and Christian in the restaurants to Moses and Tony(he does AMAZING flair bartending...better than Ive seen in vegas) and Sarah at the bar were spectacular. They all went above and beyond to make sure all the customers were happy. I also ate in both restraunts several times over the 4 nights I was there. All the food was great and very well priced. Live music outside of Maxines(which is open for food 24 hours) and the food and drink specials at the sushi restraunt were an added bonus. You cant beat the location. Right on Collins...1 block away from the beach and Washington Ave. 1 hour FREE happy hour, FREE shuttle service to and from the airport and FREE bike, beach chair and towel privleges..Need I say more? . I work as a bartender in a golf resort and spa in West Virginia and I can spot great staff and a deal a mile away...I hope you keep these employees around for a long time. Job well done. Thanks so much and I hope to see you in May!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
catalinarelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, January 26, 2011
Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback about your stay! I am extremely glad to here that you enjoyed your stay with us! I am also very glad to learn that you found our staff from housekeeping to restaurant staff amazing and helpful! We hope to see you soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
Indianapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2011

I did my research...I read all of the reviews and decided to take a chance on the Catalina. This Hotel is perfect for a weekend getaway for shopping and nightlife if you are a No Frills kind of person. It is within walking distance to Lincoln Road (great shopping) and the beach.

Don't expect the beds to be comfortable. Do expect to have to sleep with your luggage! There is no room to put away your clothes or your suitcase because there is no closet space or space period. Also if you are sharing a room, make sure you like the person you are sharing with...beware...the bathroom does not have ventillation!

The other problem I had with the Catalina is that it toted itself as a "Boutique" hotel yet when you check out you will find a $15 per day "Resort Fee". The Catalina is a FAR cry from a "Resort" and I'm still trying to figure out what I got from this fee.

If you are a No Frills kind of person who bases their hotel decisions soley on location and value - the Catalina is it.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Miami, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2011

Do not stay there, you have to get into the bar to a smelly (bad) dark corridor to get to your room. The furniture is ugly and the bathroom is even worst. The air conditioner is noisy ... I would not stay here again even if it is free ...

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

This is a great hotel for short business trips. The hotel was pretty quiet even though it is located in the heart of the action on Collins. The staff was friendly and helpful, and I enjoyed my meal at Maxine's. The rooftop pool is nice and wasn't too busy during my stay. The only negative feedback I have is that the floors in my room could have been a touch cleaner. Wifi was a bit dodgy at times but generally much better than other hotels I've visited.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
CatalinaGM, General Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, January 15, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post a review about yoru experience at the Catalina Hotel. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience and greatly appreciate your constructive feedback.

We hope to welcome you back soon!
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2011

We booked a trip to Miami this past new year, coming from California and first time in Miami we really didn't know much about the hotels in the area so after doing some research we decided to stay at the Catalina Hotel, this place promised all the great things you're looking for on vacation and more. Since it was pricey we never second guessed it or thought anything of it, plus, the pictures on-line looked great, but let me tell you, when we arrived, we were beyond disappointed, shocked, and appalled... this place was horribly disgusting, humid, dirty, stinky, and filled with ROACHES, that came out to say hello on our first night!!! Oh... and the customer service was awful, we carried our luggage to our room our selves. The roof top pool is a glorified bathtub, and the water was literally dark, not blue, you know what I mean, dirty! There was no ESPN in the rooms or out in the bar area. The rooms were pathetic I have stayed at motels that look better than this, with lamps that actually work, lighting was horrible inside every room we got. Since we saw we had visitors (roaches) on our first night we asked to be moved to the third floor. The beach is not across the street like they claim on their web site it's about -5 block away from the hotel- They need to say the "hotel is located two blocks from the SAND", if you want to get in the ocean you need to go 3 more blocks in. My advise is- DO NOT!! stay in south beach, North beach is so much better the area is clean and sophisticated with real designer boutiques, not swap meats like in south beach!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on tripadvisor. I am very dissapointed to read about your experience and sorry that we were unabe to meet your expectations. I understand that this was your first time visiting Miami and I would like to point out to anybody reading your review that we are located on the west side of Collins Avenue. The hotels directly across the street from the Catalina (also on Collins Avenue) are beachfront properties. South Beach is notorious for it's wide beaches so this would add to your walk to the ocean - but I believe it is what makes our beach so spectacluar. I would also question your advice on North Beach. I am not sure where you found the designer boutiques but can only imagine that you are referencing the Bal Harbor shops, a neighboring mall with high end boutiques. I would advise any potential guests reading your review that Bal Harbor and North Beach offer a very different experience which I feel anybody looking forward to visiting one of our countries best "hot spots" would find dissapointing. Lastly, I am very sorry to read that you felt the hotel was not clean. I only hope that you were able to address these concerns with a manager while you were a guest of the hotel. Hotel cleanliness is our top priority and I am sorry to hear that we fell short.

Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

I just returned from a 4 nights stay at the Catalina. I stayed there with a friend of mine and I will admit after reading some reviews on here that we were a bit skeptical. I am writing this review because I don't want other people to second guess their decision to stay there! From the moment we walked in this hotel every person we came across did everything to make our stay even better!
This hotel did not dissapoint us at all. The location was great right on Collins Ave only a 2 minute walk to the beach! It is made up of three buildings each with its own lobby. There are two restaurants, two pools both which are clean and very nice. They have a rooftop pool where I enjoyed some quiet time on the very comfortable beds around the pool. There is also a rooftop patio with lawnchairs to relax on. In the morning you can go to the pool and get towels and cards to get chairs on the beach in the catalina section which is nice. You are pretty much guaranteed a chair at least when we were there we had no problem even in the afternoon.
The rooms were small as some reviews do state but we stayed in the classic comfort room which was a good size. We didn't spend a whole lot of time in the room so it didn't matter too much. The beds are so comfortable so no complaints there! The hallways are a little dark as mentioned but this was not a problem as we spent no time in the hallway!! Some people i really feel will complain about anything.

The happy hour in the lobby between 7-8 each night was fun and there was no problem getting drinks. We enjoyed some pre arranged nights out to different bars as well. There is someone in the lobby each night offering packages. We had unlimited drinks for 2 hours a limo to the bar, cover and bypass the line at the bar for $30.00! The concierge are also so helpful in providing passes to clubs where you bypass the line if you choose do go that route.
Before going to Miami I looked for awhile at hotels and compared reviews and prices. I can tell you that after walking around South Beach and seeing other hotels that we were looking at , The Catalina was by far the best pick!
I really don't have a bad thing to say about this hotel so don't hesitate to stay there if you are looking for good location, good service, convenience and great value!

If anyone has any questions feel free to email me at jgorveatt@hotmail.com

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
On behalf of our entire team, thank you for taking the time to post such a wonderful review about your experience at the Catalina! We appreicate all of our guests who take the time to provide feedback but understand that often those who enjoyed their stay may recommend us to their friends but may not find the time to post a review. We are all so thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay and hope to welcome you back very soon!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

We stayed here for one night as we had to stop in South Beach on our way to Key West. The hotel was clean and in a great location. The beach was a short walk across the street and at night you felt right in the middle of all the action. All of the staff we ran into were very nice. The hotel does charge for Valet parking and as we soon found out, parking is a bit of a "bear" in SOBE. You are better off just paying than trying to actually find a place to park your car. After the "resort fee" and parking fee you can tack on about an x-tra $50 onto your room rate. Even so , the base rate was cheap and the amenities offered we still worth the price we payed. I would stay here again.

Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to post a review! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Catalina and agree with your advice on parking. We try to encourage guests not to rent cars if it can be avoided. South Beach is a walking town and taxi cabs are easy to find. Valet parking at the hotel is $32.00 per night. The City of Miami Beach also has municipal parking garages that offer parking for $1.00 per hour or $20.00 for overnight parking (however - note that you cannot take your car in and out). Street parking is metered.

Linsey Harris

Been to Catalina Hotel & Beach Club? Share your experiences!