“Not for the fastidious” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #88 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Florida
“Not for the fastidious”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2006

This "boutique" hotel has some positive aspects, but suffers from lack of professional management. It was not very clean and most of the amenities I expect from a hotel room were missing. The elevators, halls, and rooms are old and definitely showed it despite an effort at stylish decorating. We did not see a manager or supervisor during our entire four day stay.

Pros:
-great location across from the beach in the heart of the Art Deco district
-beach privileges are convenient and in a nice area of the beach
-nice lobby with stylish furnishings and art
-quiet, peaceful pool garden with comfortable lounges
-nice on site restaurant
-not a very family oriented hotel, but the staff were all accomdating and kind to our two young children
-"Breakfast" coffee and pastries in the lobby were adequate.
-Mattresses were very comfortable, although see comments below on cleanliness.

Cons:
-parking service is expensive and slow (although attendants are very nice.) Our car pickup request was "lost" twice in four days.
-red shag carpet in elevator, hallways, and rooms is very dirty
-rooms lacked the following: information folder, map, phone book, pen/paper, ice bucket. Had a makeshift mini-bar with no price list.
-only half a glass door on the shower by design; leaked all over the bathroom floor
-no fan in the bathroom
-old and cracked/dirty grout in the shower and bathroom
-"housekeeping" consisted of replacing towels, running a dirty string mop over tile, straightening sheets and pillows, and a spritz of air freshener. Over a four day stay, the housekeepers did not change the sheets, replace or wash the used glasses, refill the soap/shampoo, or vacuum the shag area rug.
-Walls between rooms were incredibly thin; we heard all of our neighbors' TV viewing and phone conversations clearly.

Overall, I liked the people at the Catalina, but I can't recommend it because of the management issues. We booked through Hotwire, where it is listed as a 3.5 star hotel. It should be reclassified as a 2 star hotel. The style and air of the place is nice, but until the rooms are renovated and the cleanliness issue is addressed, it doesn't matter.

2,365 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
dallas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2006

I stayed here with a group of girls for a bachelorette party. The Catalina completely took care of us. Their staff was great in helping us to plan the party and make it a success. The rooms are fun and the hotel reasonably priced. Overall, I would recommend this boutique hotel to anyone (except maybe those with small children?)

1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2006

I stayed with a large group of friends at the Catalina earlier this month (January, 2006), spread out over many rooms -- so I feel I have a large enough sample to assert that this hotel is terribly managed, with many rooms in poor shape... despite the hip decor attempt. You could have an okay stay here -- but from our collective experience, it's highly unlikely.

Trouble started at check-in, when they kept asking us to come back after another half hour, and then another. Once I got to my room, the chlorine fumes were overpowering -- but they had no other room for me. So they sent someone to wash it down, after which the odor largely vanished. Someone else in my party (easy going, not high maintenance) was actually placed in four different rooms before he found one with a working telephone, without used towels laying all around, etc. Another friend had to fight not to wrongly be charged for every item in the mini-bar (they used nothing from the bar); by the end of our stay, we were all competing to produce the best/funniest story of how bad the hotel is.

I think I won because (a) my shower would only produce scalding hot water on the second morning of my stay, no matter where I turned the dial, and (b) when the front desk staff were utterly unable to get the loud house music being played outside my window at the vacant pool turned down at midnight on a week night (it was way too loud even with all windows closed), I had to eventually confront a bartender to get it done. Did I mention that a buddy found the biggest cockroach he'd ever seen? And the glass shower partitions result in flooded bathrooms, since they only halfway separate the shower area from the rest of the bathroom?

The decor is hip, and I get what they're trying to achieve. But their hoped-for ambience was (in our collective experience) overwhelmed by the incompetence of the management, the seedy way everything was run down, etc. -- bathroom tiles missing, bathroom shelves hanging precariously by a single screw, the screen in the bathroom window repeatedly falling out and hitting me on the head, hip red shag carpeting in the hallways matted down and filthy, etc., etc.

I've stayed at the ultra-hip Hudson in New York, and loved it -- the Catalina's attempted hip-factor is not the problem. At Hudson, form and function work together to provide a great experience, combined with excellent customer service. At the Catalina, form utterly triumphs over function. Half the time here they don't seem to care, and when they do, they seem utterly unable to help. Bottom line: Look elsewhere, unless you enjoy living out a Saturday Night Live skit.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2006

I just returned home from a long weekend in South Beach where I stayed at the Catalina Hotel. After reading the reviews on here, I was cautiously optimistic. Expecting the worst, I entered my room and was pleasantly surprised. The room was very similar to the pictures on the website. The white floor had definitely seen some wear and tear, but other than that it was clean and very cool. The thermostat worked perfectly and actually, got a bit cold at times. The beds at the Catalina are superb!!! Very comfortable... my only complaint there is that I'm not sure they changed the sheets each day. The bathroom is tiny, but the shower head was impressive. Excellent water pressure and a very large shower head made for many long showers. The bathroom heats up very quickly and makes the entire room humid, so try and limit your shower time or open the windows! Overall the staff was friendly, no problems at check-in or check-out. The continental breakfast is nothing to write home about.. just a few pastries, coffee, and orange juice. I would recommend finding somewhere else to use your calories.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2006

We stayed there for two days and our room was lovely. It was a nice size and quiet, even though music was playing downstairs in the evening. The Spy Restaurant and Bar is expensive but the food was very good. The staff was very nice as well. We were pleasantly surprised.

United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2006

Great location. The 'happy hour' cocktails are terrible. The breakfast is from 7-9 which is not very convenient because this is a 'party' hotel and no one is awake by 9 am. The shuttle to the airport was reliable. The cd player in the room is good. The room like it was done by 'Trading Spaces'. There is neat design but lacking in quality. The shower is tiny and there is no storage space or area to put a laptop. I did not bring my laptop because there is $15 per day charge for internet which is a little steep. Housekeeping would come at 6 pm which was a little odd. You can rent bikes free for the first two hours but it is $20 per hour after that. Nikki beach club was amazing! it was really nice to take a cab there and lay out on the lounge chairs all day. There are some great restaraunts and clubs a short walk away. Take advantage of the hotel's access to passes to clubs. You have to ask for them though.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2006

GREAT LOCATION- it's near the best restaurants, hottest bars and lounges, and all the shops on Lincoln Road. Prime location. Also has its own chic lounge called the Spy lounge-awesome bar and great food.

COZY ROOMS-adorable rooms with all the amenities of your own home. Beds are comfortable and bathrooms are spacious. Love the look of the hotel.

FRIENDLY STAFF - all the employees are friendly and alert. Willingness to assist you with reservations and get you into the hottest places.

I had a great time at this hotel and will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed January 2006

Been to Catalina Hotel & Beach Club? Share your experiences!