“Great experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #88 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
dallas
“Great experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2006

I stayed here with a group of girls for a bachelorette party. The Catalina completely took care of us. Their staff was great in helping us to plan the party and make it a success. The rooms are fun and the hotel reasonably priced. Overall, I would recommend this boutique hotel to anyone (except maybe those with small children?)

2,270 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2006

I stayed with a large group of friends at the Catalina earlier this month (January, 2006), spread out over many rooms -- so I feel I have a large enough sample to assert that this hotel is terribly managed, with many rooms in poor shape... despite the hip decor attempt. You could have an okay stay here -- but from our collective experience, it's highly unlikely.

Trouble started at check-in, when they kept asking us to come back after another half hour, and then another. Once I got to my room, the chlorine fumes were overpowering -- but they had no other room for me. So they sent someone to wash it down, after which the odor largely vanished. Someone else in my party (easy going, not high maintenance) was actually placed in four different rooms before he found one with a working telephone, without used towels laying all around, etc. Another friend had to fight not to wrongly be charged for every item in the mini-bar (they used nothing from the bar); by the end of our stay, we were all competing to produce the best/funniest story of how bad the hotel is.

I think I won because (a) my shower would only produce scalding hot water on the second morning of my stay, no matter where I turned the dial, and (b) when the front desk staff were utterly unable to get the loud house music being played outside my window at the vacant pool turned down at midnight on a week night (it was way too loud even with all windows closed), I had to eventually confront a bartender to get it done. Did I mention that a buddy found the biggest cockroach he'd ever seen? And the glass shower partitions result in flooded bathrooms, since they only halfway separate the shower area from the rest of the bathroom?

The decor is hip, and I get what they're trying to achieve. But their hoped-for ambience was (in our collective experience) overwhelmed by the incompetence of the management, the seedy way everything was run down, etc. -- bathroom tiles missing, bathroom shelves hanging precariously by a single screw, the screen in the bathroom window repeatedly falling out and hitting me on the head, hip red shag carpeting in the hallways matted down and filthy, etc., etc.

I've stayed at the ultra-hip Hudson in New York, and loved it -- the Catalina's attempted hip-factor is not the problem. At Hudson, form and function work together to provide a great experience, combined with excellent customer service. At the Catalina, form utterly triumphs over function. Half the time here they don't seem to care, and when they do, they seem utterly unable to help. Bottom line: Look elsewhere, unless you enjoy living out a Saturday Night Live skit.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2006

I just returned home from a long weekend in South Beach where I stayed at the Catalina Hotel. After reading the reviews on here, I was cautiously optimistic. Expecting the worst, I entered my room and was pleasantly surprised. The room was very similar to the pictures on the website. The white floor had definitely seen some wear and tear, but other than that it was clean and very cool. The thermostat worked perfectly and actually, got a bit cold at times. The beds at the Catalina are superb!!! Very comfortable... my only complaint there is that I'm not sure they changed the sheets each day. The bathroom is tiny, but the shower head was impressive. Excellent water pressure and a very large shower head made for many long showers. The bathroom heats up very quickly and makes the entire room humid, so try and limit your shower time or open the windows! Overall the staff was friendly, no problems at check-in or check-out. The continental breakfast is nothing to write home about.. just a few pastries, coffee, and orange juice. I would recommend finding somewhere else to use your calories.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2006

We stayed there for two days and our room was lovely. It was a nice size and quiet, even though music was playing downstairs in the evening. The Spy Restaurant and Bar is expensive but the food was very good. The staff was very nice as well. We were pleasantly surprised.

United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2006

Great location. The 'happy hour' cocktails are terrible. The breakfast is from 7-9 which is not very convenient because this is a 'party' hotel and no one is awake by 9 am. The shuttle to the airport was reliable. The cd player in the room is good. The room like it was done by 'Trading Spaces'. There is neat design but lacking in quality. The shower is tiny and there is no storage space or area to put a laptop. I did not bring my laptop because there is $15 per day charge for internet which is a little steep. Housekeeping would come at 6 pm which was a little odd. You can rent bikes free for the first two hours but it is $20 per hour after that. Nikki beach club was amazing! it was really nice to take a cab there and lay out on the lounge chairs all day. There are some great restaraunts and clubs a short walk away. Take advantage of the hotel's access to passes to clubs. You have to ask for them though.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2006

GREAT LOCATION- it's near the best restaurants, hottest bars and lounges, and all the shops on Lincoln Road. Prime location. Also has its own chic lounge called the Spy lounge-awesome bar and great food.

COZY ROOMS-adorable rooms with all the amenities of your own home. Beds are comfortable and bathrooms are spacious. Love the look of the hotel.

FRIENDLY STAFF - all the employees are friendly and alert. Willingness to assist you with reservations and get you into the hottest places.

I had a great time at this hotel and will definitely stay there again.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2006

It’s not “The Ritz,” but it gets the job done if you want a true South Beach experience. Set across the street from the Raleigh and in between the Shore Club and Delano Hotels on Collins Avenue, The Catalina's location is perfect for a group of people who want to party hard but are on a budget. For my friend's bachelorette party we stayed in the hotel over Martin Luther King Day weekend. The convenient location really made all the difference--especially at 5 a.m. when we were walking back from bars in high heals.

The lobby oozed glamour, I'd love the fact when we arrived they were doing some sort of photo shoot not to mention the very cute wait staff.

I thought the service was generally good, especially for the price--for each person (four people to a room) paid $225 for three nights.

One person at the front desk said to our bachelorette party to let him know if there was ANYTHING we needed ( he particulary enuciated the word anything) and retrospectively we all pondered what he actually meant by that.

However, despite our good times we did have some complaints.

Service/Amenities issues:

The shower did not have a sliding door and as a result after taking one, the entire bathroom floor was soaking wet.

TOWELS! One thing that did annoy everyone, especially since we had four people to a room, is the lack of clean towels. One day the maids just came in the room and folded our dirty towels without giving us new ones.

Checkout: Upon checkout, we the hotel tried to charge us for pistachios we did not eat and a long-distance phonecall. We got the phonecall taken off the bill but they refused to remove the pistachios. The whole episode was very bizarre since the guy at the front desk refused to credit us. The $3.00 is really nothing to fight over, but the principle of being charged extra at random was our beef. This particular individual at the front-desk was nice to us when we arrived and offered an array of passes to clubs, etc. But when it came to matters of billing, he was quite unprofessional. He called me "sweetie" in an argument we had over the bill, which I felt was inappropriate and intentionally demeaning.

All and all, however, the weekend was great. The problems were really minor. I realize that "we" ( i mean all eight girls in our party) are probably tough customers and none of are demure or afraid to speak our minds.

Been to Catalina Hotel & Beach Club? Share your experiences!