“Relaxed atmosphere in the middle of it all” 4 of 5 stars

Catalina Hotel & Beach Club
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1732-1756 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #90 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Atlanta, Georgia
“Relaxed atmosphere in the middle of it all”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

The Catalina was referred to us an we have no regrets. In the middle of a buzzing Collins avenue, we still were able to relax, enjoy the varieties of food especially at Maxine's. Close enough to the beach meant that although it was late February/early March when the water is a bit colder we still had the option. The room was clean, equipped and was comfortable for us. My only issue was the thickness of the walls since our neighbors were early risers, had a crying baby and spoke on top of their lungs at each other. Nothing against babies or children or families relating to each other but when you took a weekend to relax and sleep in, it is a major snag. If the insulation was better between rooms, this would be PERFECT.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (398)
  • Finnish first
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Beware this property is NOT what it seems to be on line, they want u to think its "New Wave" but instead it's just an old property in need of renovation. They have 3 section in the hotel, the one we were placed in because we booked on line was through a restaurant to get to your room and there was a smell which I never figured out, they tell u it's paint but it definitely is not. Also there wS a desk clerk named Aaron that was rude about the parking, while we were checking ( taking our luggage to the room they automatically though we were useing valet parking, mind u at 35.00 per nt and parked our car, Aaron was upset because we told him we did not want valet parking, up until check out I had a problem getting them to take that charge off. Finally I had an emergency and had to check out a day early but because I booked on line and the boat show was going on, they would not give me a refund of any sort even though I was not going to the boat show and could have cared less about it. Because Aaron was upset about the parking issue I think it tied into the front office manager who's name is Winston not giving me any type of refund. To finalize this situation I AM familiar with how hotels work considering I worked for them over 30 years and love to go to different hotel properties and critique them because customer service is number 1 in this business. As this was my first trip to Miami let's say i was very dissatisfied and will definitely not referr this property to anyone, plus they really take advantage of functions in the area to make there money, I learned my lesson, if u are looking for good customer service do not stay here. Oh there were to great people I do have to mention, Jean and Terrell, great customer service!

Room Tip: Do NOT let them put u in the part of the hotel which makes u cut through the restaurant, also there...
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Pros : location and the 24 hours restaurant. That's pretty much it.

Upon check in I asked the front desk (a tall blond guy) to give me a quiet room, which he answered by "double bed or king" ? I said "double but please make sure it's quiet" and he replied very aggressively : I get it!!! Not a great first impression. The lobby is extremely noisy (music all day long and DJ every night). The hallways smell very bad and so do the rooms : after taking a shower the bathroom would smell a weird and scary smell, like burnt plastic. The room had a very nasty humidity / toilet smell that was just disgusting, not to mention one of my pillows which had probably not been changed from the previous occupant.

This hotel is way overpriced based on location. We chose it for the pool and ended up not even going in. Next time on a budget we will choose a hotel without a pool and go to the beach.

• Stayed February 2015
Essex, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

It was an awesome hotel. There was so much to do. The beach was very close as well as lots of other hotels and restaurants. They gave us free towels and beach chairs which were great for the beach and the pools.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Very enjoyable and comfortable stay. Rooms and bathrooms were clean. Great amenities, good location, safe neighborhood. Excellent service. Liked the art deco interiors. Loved the roof top pool. Good value for money.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Fort Lauderdale
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Stayed here this past weekend for work. Would have never been my choice, but reservations were made for us…this hotel is NOT a good choice for a quiet retreat. The lobby is NOISY, the restaurant is open 24/7 and the bar is NOISY. The room was tiny, sooo outdated and the lighting in the room and bathroom was terrible. The bathroom…strange…no shower door and the shower head was up in the ceiling. Did I mention the lighting?? Ladies- warning- you can not put make up on in here without the risk of poking your eye out!!
The valet situation is the worst. Took over 40 minutes to get my car. We did get the chance to use their little shuttle a couple of times, but twice, it was parked in front and was told "they were working on it" would be about 30 minutes till we could use it.
A girl was sitting in the hallway right outside our room from 2-4 am talking on the phone- crying and laughing in deep and loud conversation. Did we ask her to consider those sleeping? Yes we did. Did she care? Nope.
This is a party hotel- bachelorette party? 21st Bday? Prom? This probably is a good choice.
For me, trying to get to meetings and function for work each day- Bad choice!!
On the good side…beds were comfortable and the location makes up a bit for some of the negatives.

Stayed February 2015, traveled on business
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Happy Friday SFLMom,

We appreciate our guests feedback and thank you for sharing yours with us! I am terribly sorry that your time spent with us was not a 5 star one! it can get noisy here at times for instance the happy hour from 7-8PM. I will definitely make sure to inform the Director of Housekeeping your comments regarding the lighting and the shower head. I wish that you would have informed us of the girl outside your room, we would have definitely sent our security guard to resolve that issue immediately! I wish that you would give us another chance in the future. We would like to prove to you that your time spent with us can be an all-out success!

Katrine
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

This hotel has a bit of an unusual setup. It is three separate buildings (that probably were originally separate hotels). We were in the building with the Asian fusion restaurant, so I cannot speak to the rooms in the other buildings. The room was nice and clean. The shower had great water pressure. There were no tissues or shower cap provided, which is a minor issue but annoying. The only other annoyance during my stay was that there was a dog in someone's room that was barking all night long one night--not the hotel's fault, but it's worth considering that pets are allowed in this hotel.

The rooftop pool is really nice (albeit small) and a fun scene. They had a DJ one day, and you can order food there from Maxine's (yum!) or the Asian fusion restaurant. The other larger pool (the bamboo pool) is mostly in the shade but it's heated and very uncrowded and peaceful.

The hotel has a happy hour daily from 7-8pm where drinks are FREE at all of the bars in the hotel. This is a great perk if you are looking to have a fun weekend in SoBe.

The biggest plus to this hotel is its location--across from SLS and Delano, and near many other hotspots. In short, if you are looking for a reasonably priced hotel in a great location, that is not gross, Catalina is a great option.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, 5 days ago
Seinfld404, you are a dream! Thank you so much for this amazing review! I am so glad to read that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us and can’t wait for the opportunity to do it all again. We truly appreciate the insanely kind words and hope to see you and yours back here soon!

Katrine

Been to Catalina Hotel & Beach Club? Share your experiences!