“A great place to rest, eat, hang, and a good base in MB” 5 of 5 stars

Catalina Hotel & Beach Club
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1732-1756 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #89 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
London, United Kingdom
“A great place to rest, eat, hang, and a good base in MB”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Stayed there for 10 days in December 2014, during ArtBasel. Since we were working we asked for a quiet room, and GOT one. 3rd floor, Maxine's, very quiet.
We ate at Maxine's every morning, and most evenings, great food, no matter your preference you will find something you like, the menu is very extensive, and not expensive.
Please, remember that Catalina consists of 3 buildings, and though you check in at the Catalina proper you could stay in any of the three. They are all great!
The hotel is perfectly located, near the convention center, close to the beach, short walk from Ocean Dr. and short walk from Lincoln. All a big plus since driving and especially parking in the area is a nightmare.
The staff at the Maxine's are friendly, and want to be helpful as much as possible, in busy times however, be armed with patience, things take time. if I was on holiday, I probably wouldn't notice.
if you have a busy day ahead and would like to get going, please, allow yourself extra 15-20 minutes at breakfast, you will have a better day! ;-)
The restaurant at Maxine's is open 24h, so if you work late, or arrive late from a night out, there is always good food waiting for you, right where you are staying, which we considered a great plus!
We worked on our last day, needed a late check-out, while the staff couldn't wrap their head around it, (and we booked it that way through expedia, but it got lost in translation somehow) after a word with Sal, things were set up perfectly. if you have a problem, go see Sal, the man has a solution.
Also the restaurant has nightly live music at dinner time, perfect, calm, jazzy, bossa, acoustic, ;-)
Rooms are clean and spacious enough, but don't expect too much, didn't spend much time in the room except for sleeping so loved it. Good shower, hot water took its time arriving at certain times of the day, but again, patience, and starting the sink tap first speeds up the process.

Room Tip: ask for a quiet room on the higher floor at Maxine's, no view, but peaceful!
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Pros:
- nice small room and bathroom; leather beds were worn, but everything was clean
- very friendly staff; Amit the bartender was fun and everyone with whom we came into contact was a pleasure
- there is a "relaxing" bamboo pool and a "fun" rooftop pool. The relaxing pool probably doesn't get a ton of sun, probably great for when it's scorching hot in Miami. The rooftop pool is fun with big beds and a bar surrounding it. The music is blasting as are water misters when it gets hot. Also on the rooftop is an area with lounge chairs where it is nice to hang out
- Great location, easy walk to Lincoln Dr, which has tons of restaurants, and the beach is only a block away
- The resort fee includes free drinks at happy hour between 7 and 8, beach towels, and 2 beach chairs (even if you pay the resort fee for a 3rd or 4th person, you only get 2 chairs. Price per additional chair seems inconsistent but expect $5-10)
- Free shuttle to and from the airport runs hourly
- Free wifi
- We arrived much earlier than check-in time and were still able to get into our room

Cons:
- The "relaxing" bamboo pool was rather dirty this past weekend
- Expedia includes the resort fee for 2 guests, and we paid an additional $50 for a 3rd guest. This doesn't add up to the $15/fee the hotel charges.

Neutral, depends on what you're looking for:
- It's a party hotel. Both nights we were there (Friday and Saturday), there was a DJ in the lobby and the music was LOUD. Totally fine and fun until you're trying to go to sleep and you can hear the music and bass thumping in your room late into the night. (We were in 202 in Catalina, which is pretty much as close to the lobby as you can get.) The music seemed to quiet down earlier on Saturday at about midnight. We did not request another room.

Room Tip: If you think you might try to sleep before 2 AM, ask for a quiet room, which I would expect would be...
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This was my second stay at Catalina. Everyone at the hotel was very friendly. When I arrived, Jonathan at the front desk was very kind. He made sure that I felt valued. The room was perfect. I am very particular about where I stay and Catalina fulfilled my expectations. They are located near the beach and all the shopping areas are in walking distance. The restaurants downstairs are nice. The bartender Amy was great. It was birthday and she helped make it special. I enjoyed her personalable service. Also, the food was awesome. Because I was staying at the hotel, drinks were free from 7-8 pm. When I stayed a couple of months ago, they had a party at the pool on the rooftop. It was so much fun. I enjoyed all the free perks at this hotel. Also, there is a free shuttle that takes you to the airport. I appreciated the shuttle because a taxi will cost 30-40 dollars. I have stayed at alot of hotels and I highly recommend this one.

• Stayed December 2014
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Nothing feels better than to finally arrive to your vacation destination and everything goes they way you hoped or better than you expected. From the moment we checked in we were cheerfully greeted by extremely helpful staff. It felt like my vacation started from the moment we stepped in the lobby. The front desk quickly checked us in and listed the long list of amenities. The favorite being free drinks between 7-8pm at any of the 4 bars on the property. The Red Bar in the lobby of the Catalina was soooo much fun, they even have a pre-party for all the guests before they go out to the club!! It was difficult to even leave to go to the club, we were having so much fun where we were at! When it was time to go shopping, they gave us a free ride in their cool open air e-car. They dropped us off right in front of the stores, and even offered to pick us up after.

I really must say that I truly had an enjoyable vacation at the Catalina. Everything that makes a great vacation is right here, 2 pools, 4 bars, and 2 awesome restaurants on the property itself and both restaurants on the property have live entertainment nightly!!! I am definitely coming back and would recommend this awesome beach club without a moment's hesitation!!

Room Tip: The suites in the Dorset building were really beautiful.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, 3 days ago
We're a firm believer you shouldn't have worries while on holiday, especially at The Catalina Hotel , so 'no worries,' indeed! Your review was so lovely to read. Thank you kindly for taking the time to post it. It's so nice to hear when guests' every needs are taken care of from the second they step onto the resort until they leave. We truly hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

From the moment you walk in you feel the love! Staff is very attentive and fun. Their resort fee covers all the cool perks like chairs at the beach, wifi, and happy hour. Our room was clean and quiet. The pools are great, specially the rooftop since it's heated. This is my favorite place in south beach. I live 45 mins away and choose to stay here every chance I get.

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
What a fabulous review Travelover13NY!!! We are stoked to know that you had such a great time here with us! It sounds like you were able to enjoy everything that we have to offer! Since your not too far from us, we hope to see you sooner rather then later!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

Love the hotel, it was actually my 3rd time staying there and every time ive had a great experience, its close to everything clean rooms, nice pool and great service from staff & management. Thank you Juan Arias for being helpful at all times. Deff coming back on my next trip.

• Stayed December 2014
Hello there Dcairtor,

Your review is splendid and we thank you for sharing it with us! We are stoked that you had such a great time, and was given exceptional service from our team- specially from Juan! I will make sure that he is aware of your kind praise! We look forward to your next visit!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I have nothing but nice things to say about the Catalina Beach Club. For what they charge this hotel is by far and away the best. The staff is very kind and attentive. Leo the supervisor and Ralph the front seat attendant, was especially helpful in a room change.

I also enjoyed the food at the FKU restaurant in front of their sister hotel the Dorsett. I had the Braised Beef Ribs which I highly recommend.

Last they have an awesome bar with great bartenders and a happy hour with free drinks from 7-8. If your luck enough to get Karen ask her to make you a Stroll on the Beach. :)

Stayed December 2014, traveled solo
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Kinyumba M, this is one of my favorite reviews ever! Thank you so much for the five stars and the fantastic shout outs for Leo, Ralph and Karen! You are absolutely right – they know everything there is to know about South Beach and will show you a Kanye-good time. Please let us know when you will be back and we will be sure to roll out our red carpet once again. See you soon!

Katrine

Been to Catalina Hotel & Beach Club? Share your experiences!