“Wonderful stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #89 of 204 Hotels in Miami Beach
Hornchurch, United Kingdom
“Wonderful stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2014 via mobile

Walking into the hotel, the rooms were a little small but enough for 2 people. There wasn't a lot of storage space but the place was clean and well maintained.

Complimentary sun loungers and towels were provided and the beach was only a 2 minute walk away. The hotel was perfectly situated, being outside the main streets of shops and bars but not so far that you couldn't get anywhere. Everything was roughly a 5-10 minute walk away.

Hotel staff were happy to help with any problems or questions, and free happy hour was certainly a bonus!

Both restaurants were reasonably priced, although the sushi bar served smaller portions than expected.

Overall a good stay.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, September 1, 2014
Good Day Althea S,

We appreciate the time you took to share your feedback with us! We are indeed a boutique hotel therefore our rooms are a bit smaller then your average hotel room. We offer rooms that are larger in size for those guests who need more space. Our Living Large room is 245 sq ft, and our El Grande room is 280 sq ft. I see that you were able to take advantage of the lovely amenities that we offer. We would love to welcome you back again soon!

Katrine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

I chose to book this hotel for the dates of August 25th-27th, 2014 based on the location and all of the advertised "free amenities" that were supposedly provided by the hotel including, free in-room internet, hotel shuttle, pool towels, etc. However, as soon as I arrived at the hotel, part of the check-in process was having to pay an extra $15.00 per night plus 13% tax for a "nightly hotel fee" for the entire duration of the stay (for me this came to ### charged to my Visa before I could even spend one minute in my room. Upon contesting this charge, I was told that it would not be refunded. When I asked what it was even for, they told me it was to pay for the amenities which came with the room -- the free advertised amenities. Sadly, this fee is charged to you even if you do not use the amenities. The only one I tried to use was the in-room wireless internet, which only worked for one night and was hardly worth $###. I feel like this is false advertising on the part of the hotel, which advertises it's amenities as free, but then makes you pay for all of them, even if you don't use them at all or if they even work, and this is charged to you before you are allowed into the hotel room. This hotel chain is completely ripping off customers and is falsely advertising its services.

Other than ripping off it's customers, the "free" shuttle bus that is supposed to take you to the airport is terrible. It is shared by 40 other hotels, so don't expect to make your flight. My bathroom smelled like sewer gas the whole time and you were lucky to get hot water. The internet worked the last night I was there only.

I would never stay here again, nor would I recommend it to anyone ever. I am sure that all of the other hotels owned by this beach hotel group are just as crappy.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
Hello there Cstoos,

We value each and every one of our guests feedback and apologize that your time spent with us, was not a picture perfect one! We charge a resort fee of $15 per night for the amenities that you get to enjoy. This is clearly stated on our site, and all of our third party sites as well. I apologize that you were not aware of this prior to placing your reservation. We regret to read that your stay was less then enjoyable!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014 via mobile

Excellent from start to finish! Jean checked us in and was extremely professional and kind. Hotel ambiance was awesome, great music during the free happy hour, rooftop pool was AmAzInG!! Rooms were great, would definitely recommend!

• Stayed August 2014
There is nothing that we like to read more then wonderful 5 star review!! Thank you for sharing yours with us Mayab09!! We are so stoked to know that the time you spent with us was absolutely amazing! Our team do a great job in making sure that everyone is having a great time! Please come back to The Catalina Hotel for another memorable time!

Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2014

The room we were given was ridiculously tiny (couldn't wheel my medium case into the room past the bed) and reeked of mould. The faux leather beds were tacky to touch and badly scuffed. There was a hair in my bed when I turned down the covers which wasn't mine. The hotel sits on top of 3 bars which wasn't mentioned anywhere. The noise was unbearable but thankfully distracted me from the fact that I could hear every noise from the room next door. The night staff were rude and unhelpful. Flatly refusing to move us. Thankfully the day staff were more helpful. We weren't the only people unhappy there were 4 Others ahead of me complaining about the smell of mould. The common areas were equally bad sticky and smelly. All of which was made worse by the dark decor in the Maxine building. Overall it was not value for money. The free shuttle bus had no aircon and was over 30 degrees!

Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
Hello there Jnw7,

We value each and every one of our guests feedback, and would like to thank you for sharing yours with us! We are terribly sorry that your time spent with us was not a 5 star one! We are indeed a boutique hotel therefore our rooms are smaller then your average hotel room. We do offer rooms that are larger in size, for those guests who need more space. Our Living Large room is 245 sq ft, and our El Grande room is 280 sq ft. Customer service means everything to us, so it pains us to read that is not what you experienced! I will definitely make sure to share this feedback with the General Manager and Director of Housekeeping. We will work to correct the grey areas that you mentioned.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

I recently stayed at Catalina for my best friend's Bachelorette party. We booked our rooms several months in advance, and were excited about all that was advertised on the website... happy hours, free shuttle, bikes, free beachside chairs, etc. etc. etc. The guy who helped us book our rooms was very friendly and helpful via email and all was good to go. We had 6 girls on our trip and we all split up into 2 different rooms. Upon arrival we quickly realized that the sizes of the rooms were MUCH smaller than anyone expected. I honestly think our room was the same size as my first dorm room in college. The decor was cute and everything was clean, but that was only the beginning. The next day, a massive rainstorm blew through out of nowhere and one of our rooms started leaking water through the window. I fully understand that this is a historic hotel and not a Ritz Carlton, but the room quickly transformed from a comfortable AC controlled environment to a intolerable rainforest of humidity. We had decorated the rooms for the Bachelorette celebrations and our streamers became soggy and fell to the ground from the water leaking into the room (sad face). We immediately called the front desk and were told someone would be up to assess the issue. After many hours and a few more calls later, we were given towels to clean up the water ourselves and that was IT - no apologies and no compensating us for this total inconvenience. Later that night, one of the girls went downstairs to speak with someone because we were all so frustrated that no one on the staff seemed to care. We were given a voucher to use at the restaurant downstairs. Nice right? Sure. A couple of the girls went down the next morning to grab some food and use part of the voucher, but were then told that the voucher had to be used all at once. There is no such thing as a "remaining balance" on these wonderful vouchers which makes NO SENSE. It's like being given a gift card that you can only use all at once. So basically, they used like $30 of our voucher and the rest was just thrown away. Following our frustration with the rain leaking, one of the girl's had a phone charger completely disappear. Nothing more to say about that. Furthermore, the staff handling the beach chairs were completely rude and told us to "move the chairs yourself!"... we never saw the wonderful, mystery bikes for rent... or had the complimentary happy hour on the rooftop (because no one / nothing was on the roof when we went up there), etc. etc. etc. The list could really go on with this place. To sum it up, the ONLY good thing about this hotel was the location and that really doesn't go far when there are tons of other cute, historical options up and down this street. It's time to step it up, Catalina. All of us agreed that we would have rather stayed in a less convenient location for better service.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

This will be a property I will never stay at again. It is older and you can tell they tried to renovate some parts but it needs a full gutting. They lobby smells horrible. Almost like a mildew smell that I am not used to smelling. You have to walk through the dining room area to get to your room and the bar area smells the worse with the humidity. The shower was leaking..maybe because the shower curtain was missing. And of course we saw 2 roaches. It just wasn't what I expected. the pictures were deceiving in regards to the room. The carpets looked like they haven't been cleaned in years, especially the carpets in the elevator.

One cool thing - The party promoters they were always around with some great deals and I liked the free 1 hour happy hour that came with the bachelorette package.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else....
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
Hello there Stephanie C,

We value all of our guests feedback, and we thank you for sharing yours with us! We are terribly sorry that you did not have an outstanding time here at The Catalina Hotel! We are indeed a historic Art Deco building. We chose to keep some of the things unchanged in order to highlight this history. I will absolutely make sure that our General Manager, and Director of Housekeeping are aware of your comments. We will work to make sure that they don't happen again! I hope we have the chance to welcome you back so you may reap the benefits of our continuous improvements here at The Catalina Hotel! I would love to personally handle your reservation, and make sure your time spent with us is an all-out success!

Katrine .
Sterling, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

LOVED THE HOTEL, But as a marriott employee i guess my standards might be high. Everything about the hotel was great, food, pool, location, and the rooms. But if your in need of some guidance dont bother to ask anyone in the hotel, as they are quite rude, tired, and very unwelcoming. So if you need to figure something out, i suggest do it on your own.

Room Tip: corner rooms are great in this place, dont stay in the building where you check in.. not good
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Good Afternoon alinur586,

Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback with us, and all of our future guests! We strive to provide outstanding service, so it pains us to read that is not what you were given! Despite the negative service I am glad that you were able to enjoy the amenities that we offer, location and your room.

Katrine

Been to Catalina Hotel & Beach Club? Share your experiences!