“So So” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #88 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Freehold, New Jersey
“So So”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My husband and I were originally placed in the Maxine building and we were horrified. It was dark, smelly and cramped. I read previous responses to the bad smell complaint from Katrine who mentioned that the carpet is being replaced but we saw no evidence of this. Giselle (we believe was her name) managed to move our room to the main building which smelled a lot better and was a lot brighter. We appreciated her help!
The Maxine building really is the black eye of the hotel. Whenever we walked by the restaurant, we had to hold our breath because it smelled so bad. There is some kind of liquid leaking onto the sidewalk on both sides of the building that smells awful.
Now onto the good, happy hour is awesome and the drinks are strong in the main building. The FKU sushi restaurant was amazing and the service was excellent. We enjoyed riding the complimentary bicycles/using the complimentary beach chairs and the airport shuttle worked out great. Tyrell was also very helpful with helping us book excursions. He really went out of his way to assist us. On a side note, you do want to pay cash for your activities since it will be cheaper. The fee goes up for credit cards.
Overall, it was a decent value for the money but I would have much preferred to pay a little bit more and stay in a better maintained hotel. The staff was great and was very accommodating, it is not their fault. I blame the South Beach Hotel group for providing such run down and smelly accommodations. I don't think they've done work to the hotel in decades.

Room Tip: Request the main building.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Hello there travelcara100,

Thank you for sharing your honest feedback with us, and all of our future guests! We are indeed changing the carpets of the hallways. As I mentioned we are taking certain sections at a time, so that we do not inconvenience our guests. I am glad that Giselle was able to assist you in freshening your room. We offer a lovely complimentary cocktail hour from 7-8PM. It's a perfect time to mingle around and get to know your temporary neighbors. Tyrell is lovely and all of our guests seem to think so as well! I will make sure that both him and Giselle are aware of your kind praise!

2,270 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
Newburgh, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

From the moment we arrived at this hotel, we knew we chose the right spot. My first impression was everyone was very welcoming and fun! We went from courtesy shuttle to pool top bar with ease. Relaxation was immediate. We were so happy to see the beach was so close and EVERYTHING you need was within 10 minute walking. No need to rent a car. If you do need to get around, they have a tourist desk right in their cute lobby. I would recommend this place to all my friends and family.

Room Tip: Hotel can be a little noisy at night. Walls are thin and there is lots of partying going on. We did...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your beautiful review, Jennifer L! It’s so great to hear that you had a great time, and felt well taken care of the whole time. There is no need to rent a car, as everything in South Beach is conveniently close to each other. Again, we really appreciate the love and hope to have you back to see us soon!

Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

My wife and I recently stayed at the Catalina hotel while my wife was in town for business. We stayed in room 130 from 7/18-7/23. Our entire experience at the hotel was great (free daily happy hour, great rooftop pool, tons of options for eating, beach towels, free beach chairs, free bikes, clean room, etc etc etc) but Tyrell the concierge ought to be noted. When we checked out, I accidentally left some very important documents needed for an appointment at a foreign consulate the next morning. We live in New York so there was no way to get them in time, but Tyrell went above and beyond to help me sort my mistake. He personally went to find the documents, called me right back to confirm he had found them, and then promptly got them fed-exed overnight to New York. I wasn't easy to work with as I changed the delivery address multiple times over the course of an hour- trying to figure out the best way to reschedule my important meeting. The package arrived the next day, perfectly addressed and just in time. He literally saved a massively important business trip I am scheduled for in a few weeks. Any later and I would not have had my business visa processed in time.
The hotel was great by itself- but we would recommend your hotel to everyone and stay again just because of the world class service we got from Tyrell. Well done.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
What a great review ZBROSE!! We are delighted to read about your wonderful feedback! We offer an unbeatable price, with a load of great money saving amenities to go with. Our staff all work hard to make sure that everyone is well taken care of, and having a great time! Tyrell is amazing, and all of our staff seem to think so as well! I am glad that he was able to assist you with an issue that you had. Please come back and stay with us again soon!

Yonkers, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

Stayed at the Catalina during my birthday weekend and it was an awesome experience. I loved the rooftop pool and the drinks at Happy Hour. The breakfast at Maxine's is pretty good too. The staff were very helpful especially Eddie Arango and Guy Sterling. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Good Afternoon phoebe K,

We would like to thank you for the lovely feedback you shared with us! HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!! Thank you for choosing to stay with us, for such a lovely occasion! Maxine's offers delicious breakfast, largely portioned, at a reasonable price. Eddie and Guy are absolutely amazing, and all of our guests think so as well. We hope to have you stay with us again, in the near future.

New Orleans, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I've stayed at this hotel many times in the past and had nothing bad to ever say until now. Horrible customer service - the front desk employees paid no attention to customer requests, front desk employees did not care about their jobs or hotel guests, and always were bothered when we had questions and their computer screens showed that they are logged on facebook. Requesting more bath towels would take at least 45 min, power went off in the bathroom and outlets for hair blow dryers while we were getting ready for the night, AC was not working one night, and our room was not cleaned until 10pm one night after we repeatedly called for service from the early afternoon. We never experienced these issues and horrible customer service the past times we were here until our stay this summer. The only positive from our stay to share is the free shuttle provided to and from the airport and Juan Pablo from concierge is exceptional and the only committed employee there that takes his job seriously and goes out of his way to make guests happy. Catalina employees need to be more like him. Keep up the great work Juan - you were the only one that made things happen for us!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, 6 days ago
Hello there Travel C,

We value each and every one of our guests feedback. We are terribly sorry that you did not have a 5 star time here with us! Customer service is something that we strive hard to provide. It pains us to read that is not what you were given! I will make sure to share your feedback with our General Manager, so that she is aware of this. I am glad that Juan Pablo was able to assist you taking advantage of the complimentary shuttle that we provide.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I stayed at the Catalina June 16th - June 20th and all I can say is this hotel was everything I expected it to be. It's hard to find anything to complain about. The party keeps going here, the restaurants are delicious, the happy hour open bar is fantastic, and words can't describe the fun and also chill atmosphere of the rooftop pool. The location is prime. Literally a block away from the beach (be sure to get your towels and beach chairs from the hotel!), shopping all around you (including convenient banks and liquor stores right there), and you are not far at all from the clubs and pool parties. The bed was super comfortable, even the pull out mattress from the couch. It's also very hard to find a shower in a hotel with a strong stream, but the Catalina had it.

This is definitely not a hotel for families, and I felt a bit awkward when I saw a little kid in the pool with all the smoking and drinking and party music going on.. but whatever, parents discretion right?

Erez, the bartender at the rooftop pool, was THE man. Hilarious, generous with the drinks, and if you need advice on where to go for the nightlife, he's your go to guy. He never steered us in the wrong the direction and was ON POINT with where to go on what nights.

The ONLY complaints I had was the lack of view in the hotel room (but lets be real, when your in South Beach you're only using your room to sleep and shower), and the AC wasn't working the last 2 days, but the hotel eventually set up an AC unit in our room that cooled us down.

So if you're young, looking to party, and don't care much about a huge fancy room that you'll barely be in, this is DEFINITELY the hotel to go to. I will definitely stay here next time I come to South Beach.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Good Afternoon Vincenzo D, and thank you for sharing your amazing feedback with us! We are all about having a great time, and we welcome anyone who wants the same! :) We offer 2 restaurants that serve a variety of things, to satisfy all the taste buds!! It seems like you were able to enjoy everything that we have to offer, along with the fantastic service! We hope to host your next stay in Miami!

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Myself and my boyfriend stayed for 3 nights in the Catalina Hotel
Check in didn't take long and we got asked if we wanted to pay $50 dollars to upgrade rooms and stay in the building above Fung Ku which was the best decision we made. Was a room on the 3rd floor, very nice, clean and big was very happy with it.
The rooftop pool was brilliant, we ordered food from the pool and it didnt take long to come and we very nice.
The hotel is for younger party people who want to stay up and don't mind loud music because the bottom floors of the hotel you can hear all kinds of music and it is very loud. I wouldn't stay here if you have children.
There is wifi, its very close to the beach and Lincoln road shops and restaurants.
Not a chilled hotel and don't ask the doormen to book you cabs anyway, book your own!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the D building on the 3rd floor
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for your recent visit to The Catalina Hotel, and for sharing your experience with us. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay! I am glad that you enjoyed your upgrade! The Dorest building has the rooftop pool, and FUNG KU restaurant. We offer WiFi and many other great money saving amenities. We look forward to your next visit soon.

Katrine

Been to Catalina Hotel & Beach Club? Share your experiences!