“World-class concierge” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #87 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Brooklyn, New York
“World-class concierge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

My wife and I recently stayed at the Catalina hotel while my wife was in town for business. We stayed in room 130 from 7/18-7/23. Our entire experience at the hotel was great (free daily happy hour, great rooftop pool, tons of options for eating, beach towels, free beach chairs, free bikes, clean room, etc etc etc) but Tyrell the concierge ought to be noted. When we checked out, I accidentally left some very important documents needed for an appointment at a foreign consulate the next morning. We live in New York so there was no way to get them in time, but Tyrell went above and beyond to help me sort my mistake. He personally went to find the documents, called me right back to confirm he had found them, and then promptly got them fed-exed overnight to New York. I wasn't easy to work with as I changed the delivery address multiple times over the course of an hour- trying to figure out the best way to reschedule my important meeting. The package arrived the next day, perfectly addressed and just in time. He literally saved a massively important business trip I am scheduled for in a few weeks. Any later and I would not have had my business visa processed in time.
The hotel was great by itself- but we would recommend your hotel to everyone and stay again just because of the world class service we got from Tyrell. Well done.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

2,366 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
Yonkers, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Stayed at the Catalina during my birthday weekend and it was an awesome experience. I loved the rooftop pool and the drinks at Happy Hour. The breakfast at Maxine's is pretty good too. The staff were very helpful especially Eddie Arango and Guy Sterling. I would definitely stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
New Orleans, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I've stayed at this hotel many times in the past and had nothing bad to ever say until now. Horrible customer service - the front desk employees paid no attention to customer requests, front desk employees did not care about their jobs or hotel guests, and always were bothered when we had questions and their computer screens showed that they are logged on facebook. Requesting more bath towels would take at least 45 min, power went off in the bathroom and outlets for hair blow dryers while we were getting ready for the night, AC was not working one night, and our room was not cleaned until 10pm one night after we repeatedly called for service from the early afternoon. We never experienced these issues and horrible customer service the past times we were here until our stay this summer. The only positive from our stay to share is the free shuttle provided to and from the airport and Juan Pablo from concierge is exceptional and the only committed employee there that takes his job seriously and goes out of his way to make guests happy. Catalina employees need to be more like him. Keep up the great work Juan - you were the only one that made things happen for us!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Hello there Travel C,

We value each and every one of our guests feedback. We are terribly sorry that you did not have a 5 star time here with us! Customer service is something that we strive hard to provide. It pains us to read that is not what you were given! I will make sure to share your feedback with our General Manager, so that she is aware of this. I am glad that Juan Pablo was able to assist you taking advantage of the complimentary shuttle that we provide.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

I stayed at the Catalina June 16th - June 20th and all I can say is this hotel was everything I expected it to be. It's hard to find anything to complain about. The party keeps going here, the restaurants are delicious, the happy hour open bar is fantastic, and words can't describe the fun and also chill atmosphere of the rooftop pool. The location is prime. Literally a block away from the beach (be sure to get your towels and beach chairs from the hotel!), shopping all around you (including convenient banks and liquor stores right there), and you are not far at all from the clubs and pool parties. The bed was super comfortable, even the pull out mattress from the couch. It's also very hard to find a shower in a hotel with a strong stream, but the Catalina had it.

This is definitely not a hotel for families, and I felt a bit awkward when I saw a little kid in the pool with all the smoking and drinking and party music going on.. but whatever, parents discretion right?

Erez, the bartender at the rooftop pool, was THE man. Hilarious, generous with the drinks, and if you need advice on where to go for the nightlife, he's your go to guy. He never steered us in the wrong the direction and was ON POINT with where to go on what nights.

The ONLY complaints I had was the lack of view in the hotel room (but lets be real, when your in South Beach you're only using your room to sleep and shower), and the AC wasn't working the last 2 days, but the hotel eventually set up an AC unit in our room that cooled us down.

So if you're young, looking to party, and don't care much about a huge fancy room that you'll barely be in, this is DEFINITELY the hotel to go to. I will definitely stay here next time I come to South Beach.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Good Afternoon Vincenzo D, and thank you for sharing your amazing feedback with us! We are all about having a great time, and we welcome anyone who wants the same! :) We offer 2 restaurants that serve a variety of things, to satisfy all the taste buds!! It seems like you were able to enjoy everything that we have to offer, along with the fantastic service! We hope to host your next stay in Miami!

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Myself and my boyfriend stayed for 3 nights in the Catalina Hotel
Check in didn't take long and we got asked if we wanted to pay $50 dollars to upgrade rooms and stay in the building above Fung Ku which was the best decision we made. Was a room on the 3rd floor, very nice, clean and big was very happy with it.
The rooftop pool was brilliant, we ordered food from the pool and it didnt take long to come and we very nice.
The hotel is for younger party people who want to stay up and don't mind loud music because the bottom floors of the hotel you can hear all kinds of music and it is very loud. I wouldn't stay here if you have children.
There is wifi, its very close to the beach and Lincoln road shops and restaurants.
Not a chilled hotel and don't ask the doormen to book you cabs anyway, book your own!!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the D building on the 3rd floor
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, 4 days ago
Thank you for your recent visit to The Catalina Hotel, and for sharing your experience with us. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay! I am glad that you enjoyed your upgrade! The Dorest building has the rooftop pool, and FUNG KU restaurant. We offer WiFi and many other great money saving amenities. We look forward to your next visit soon.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

Currently I'm at the pool bar at the Catalina and must I tell you my experience has been fabulous. Even though the room and service isn't all that... But once you get to the pool bar you have been transferred to another side of south beach. Here at the pool bar Johnson and Erez have been a blast and made my day at the Dorsey side. Best bartenders you can spend some time with, they want to make sure that you have the special treatment. Thanks guys you're the best && I most certainly look forward coming on my next free day!!

• Stayed July 2014
Hello zaitarocks and thank you for choosing to stay with us! The bar on the rooftop is lovely! We can make any of your favorite cocktails, so you can sip on while soaking up the summer sun! We strive on providing outstanding service, so it pains us to read that is not what you were given! We look forward in having you stay with us again in the future!

Trenton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I don't want to rip on this hotel to much because it has potential. But I have to say that a hotel that caters to loud music and drunk loud ppl in the lobby area is a place you do not want to try to receive R&R. I understand their concept of party and good time. But either you're a hotel or club. I think they should become a club because it's about the music than a guest sleep and peace of mind. My wife and I had our first honey moon and we chose this place to try to sleep ( wow ). At bed time we had two genre of music playing loudly at the same time. Hip hop in the lobby, and Latin music next door. We're on the first floor next to all of it so you can imagine the night mare of tossing and turning all night. The staff is mediocre at best. Complimentary drinks at happy hour but 3.00 for a bottle of water. Needless to say we lost weight with constant trips to Walgreens. One of the shuttle drivers act like we were bothering him when we asked for a ride. Their shuttle is constantly on charge. Be lucky if u get a ride. They have two dark skinned fellows that stand behind this podium on the porch. They look like bouncers. They look mean and don't speak. They have this whatever look on their face as if to say you're a guess here, so what. I hate the one blah bartender loir. He calls you his friend when u put a dollar in his jar besides that he's a jerk. If you ask him for something, one word answer, NO. Then he turns away with his nerdy black framed glasses. I was a shuttle driver at the Hampton inn. When a guest ask for simple things, if the hotel didn't have it we went out to get it. Example: a guess told me she needed tampons it's an emergency. I'm a man and I told her with no hesitation to write the brand down she needed and I'll get it for her. Needless to say she was grateful. I didn't accept her tip. It was my pleasure because I can tell she was having a rough day. You see catalina it's about the guest. You go above and beyond. 3 star hotel, 5 star hotel. Doesn't matter. Human decency should be automatic especially when running a business. I'll speak to a passing stranger on the street if we make eye contact. Most times your staff didn't look or speak to us at all. Except if you got the tip money ready. This is a tip hungry community. Our room was cozy except for noise. You need a couple premium channels for cable. Stop being so cheap. Make more things complimentary than guest having to frequent Walgreens that the shuttle wouldn't take us to. It's not far to walk but when I say I want a ride I want a bloody ride. That's the point. Aron the desk clerk was very professional and accommodating. Juan the concierge was professional and accommodating. Eddie was awesome and the poster Guy of how service to should be at a hotel. He always spoke and ask how we were with the greeting of sir and mam, with a firm hand shake. You can tell he love what he does. I love that work ethic conviction. I still hate loir bartender customer service isn't his calling. Back to Eddie. Eddie we made it to our flight on time no problems. We didn't need that taxi after all. Glad we saved our money taking the free shuttle that forgot to get us earlier. Eddie it only took 13 min to get to the airport not 50. I don't know if you were trying to split the money with the taxi driver because you were trying to hard but it's cool I forgive you because you're a likable guy. When we got home and laid in bed( yay). I ask my wife did she hear that. She replied what. And I said absolutely nothing, we both laughed.No place like home. Took me a week to get my sleep back on track. If you want noise and a nonstop party go to the catalina. If you want to party and then go to your quiet hotel to call it a night, go some where else. Catalina surprisingly some ppl like. It's just not for us, but I wish it much success. No salt lol. Catalina ,you guys don't have to reply with an explanation. We strive to be the best and accommodate all our guest crap. I get it lol. This is my opinion and my opinion is not your reality. The people will still go to your hotel. Because this is the world we live in. This review is just to get things off my chest not to bash you. I did say some nice things also. All in all it was not the hotel to stay to have our first honeymoon. My wife and I been married for 11 years and finally had the funds to travel. The only regret I'm sorry to say was the catalina hotel. Peace and love get better and fire loir. Until never time. Good bye.

Stayed July 2014

Been to Catalina Hotel & Beach Club? Share your experiences!