“Mediocre and noisy😢😤😡 need 😴 not existant” 3 of 5 stars

Catalina Hotel & Beach Club
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1732-1756 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #80 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Trenton
“Mediocre and noisy😢😤😡 need 😴 not existant”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

I don't want to rip on this hotel to much because it has potential. But I have to say that a hotel that caters to loud music and drunk loud ppl in the lobby area is a place you do not want to try to receive R&R. I understand their concept of party and good time. But either you're a hotel or club. I think they should become a club because it's about the music than a guest sleep and peace of mind. My wife and I had our first honey moon and we chose this place to try to sleep ( wow ). At bed time we had two genre of music playing loudly at the same time. Hip hop in the lobby, and Latin music next door. We're on the first floor next to all of it so you can imagine the night mare of tossing and turning all night. The staff is mediocre at best. Complimentary drinks at happy hour but 3.00 for a bottle of water. Needless to say we lost weight with constant trips to Walgreens. One of the shuttle drivers act like we were bothering him when we asked for a ride. Their shuttle is constantly on charge. Be lucky if u get a ride. They have two dark skinned fellows that stand behind this podium on the porch. They look like bouncers. They look mean and don't speak. They have this whatever look on their face as if to say you're a guess here, so what. I hate the one blah bartender loir. He calls you his friend when u put a dollar in his jar besides that he's a jerk. If you ask him for something, one word answer, NO. Then he turns away with his nerdy black framed glasses. I was a shuttle driver at the Hampton inn. When a guest ask for simple things, if the hotel didn't have it we went out to get it. Example: a guess told me she needed tampons it's an emergency. I'm a man and I told her with no hesitation to write the brand down she needed and I'll get it for her. Needless to say she was grateful. I didn't accept her tip. It was my pleasure because I can tell she was having a rough day. You see catalina it's about the guest. You go above and beyond. 3 star hotel, 5 star hotel. Doesn't matter. Human decency should be automatic especially when running a business. I'll speak to a passing stranger on the street if we make eye contact. Most times your staff didn't look or speak to us at all. Except if you got the tip money ready. This is a tip hungry community. Our room was cozy except for noise. You need a couple premium channels for cable. Stop being so cheap. Make more things complimentary than guest having to frequent Walgreens that the shuttle wouldn't take us to. It's not far to walk but when I say I want a ride I want a bloody ride. That's the point. Aron the desk clerk was very professional and accommodating. Juan the concierge was professional and accommodating. Eddie was awesome and the poster Guy of how service to should be at a hotel. He always spoke and ask how we were with the greeting of sir and mam, with a firm hand shake. You can tell he love what he does. I love that work ethic conviction. I still hate loir bartender customer service isn't his calling. Back to Eddie. Eddie we made it to our flight on time no problems. We didn't need that taxi after all. Glad we saved our money taking the free shuttle that forgot to get us earlier. Eddie it only took 13 min to get to the airport not 50. I don't know if you were trying to split the money with the taxi driver because you were trying to hard but it's cool I forgive you because you're a likable guy. When we got home and laid in bed( yay). I ask my wife did she hear that. She replied what. And I said absolutely nothing, we both laughed.No place like home. Took me a week to get my sleep back on track. If you want noise and a nonstop party go to the catalina. If you want to party and then go to your quiet hotel to call it a night, go some where else. Catalina surprisingly some ppl like. It's just not for us, but I wish it much success. No salt lol. Catalina ,you guys don't have to reply with an explanation. We strive to be the best and accommodate all our guest crap. I get it lol. This is my opinion and my opinion is not your reality. The people will still go to your hotel. Because this is the world we live in. This review is just to get things off my chest not to bash you. I did say some nice things also. All in all it was not the hotel to stay to have our first honeymoon. My wife and I been married for 11 years and finally had the funds to travel. The only regret I'm sorry to say was the catalina hotel. Peace and love get better and fire loir. Until never time. Good bye.

Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
  • Finnish first
Ashdod, Israel
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

There is a free WIFI at the room, the hotel is in good location but the room is terrible and there is bad smell inside the room and at the hotel. the valet and parking price is really expensive.
The hotel is really close to the beach.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Good Afternoon ariel h,

We value all of our guests feedback and thank you for sharing yours with us! We do offer a load of great amenities, WiFi being just one of them. Our housekeepers work hard to deep clean every room, before turning it over to a new set of guests. It pains us to read that is not what you were given! I will make sure to share your comment regarding cleanliness to the Director of Housekeeping. I hope we have the chance to welcome you back so you may reap the benefits of our continuous improvements here at The Catalina Hotel.

Orangeville, On
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

I was able to get an excellent rate on a third party site which was much better than anything else in the area. The valet parking was a little steep at $35 and the service wasn't great. My husband went went down at 11:30 am to request the car for 12. He was told by the valet to 'wait a minute' , meanwhile 2-3 other people were served while my husband continued to wait. When he finally made the request, the valet just told him to come back as 12. We came back at 12, ready to check-out but had to wait in the lobby for 10 mins or so for our car. Not a big deal, but if you're charging a premium, the service rendered should be impressive, I think. There are parking garages within walking distance that charge about $20 but no in/out privileges according to the front desk. Other than that, the beds were comfy, the room was small but clean, the bamboo pool was great and I had the best pina colada ever at the bar! The beach chairs were also a nice addition at the beach which was a short walk away. Would recommend if you're traveling on a budget!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Hello there Newtie-Princess79,

We would like to thank you for the time you took to share your feedback with us! Our rates are always very reasonable! I will make sure to share your feedback regarding valet, with the parking manager. I am delighted to know that you found the room clean and the pools great. We are a boutique hotel therefore our rooms are a bit smaller then your average hotel room. We o offer rooms that are larger in size. Our Living Large room is 245 sq ft and our El Grande room is 280 st ft. We hope to have you stay with us again in the future!

Miami Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We were pleasantly surprised with our experience at the Catalina. We checked in early through Jean up at the front desk. He was very helpful and accommodating! The room was clean. Would stay here again!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your wonderful feedback with us Noelle M! We are very glad to know that you had a lovely time here at The Catalina Hotel! Jean is absolutely amazing, and I will make sure to inform him of your kind words! We would love to see you again soon!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

I come to miami a lot! So I've stayed in quite a few diff hotels here. I absolutely love this hotel. Not only does it have great amenities but the service is always a1!! Jean at the front desk is amazing. No matter wT the problem he always had a solution and a smile. The people are probably the main reason I stay here. I'll def be back to see Jean on my next trip to Miami!!

• Stayed July 2014
Good Day Courtney O! Thank you for sharing your lovely review with us! We offer unbeatable prices with great money saving amenities to go with. I see that you were able to able to enjoy the great service that our team provides! We can't wait to have you stay with us again!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Pros: BAD HOTEL IN A GOOD LOCATION.. CONS: Are as follows When ordering food at the restaurant (Maxine's), it was extremely sloooww. No matter what time of day. It had a very funny damp smell in the hallways and rooms. The elevator was super small and there was only one. It could only fit 2 people at a time with our luggage. The cleaning people left their carts in the hallway everyday all day on every floor and they smelled of food and dirty laundry. I had these very tiny ants all over my floor and closet. After reporting this to the manager, the opted to change my room. I accepted. The new room was in a different building and was a bit larger. I was fine at first, but noticed ants in this room as well. I complained but was checking out in the morning. Honestly I just moved rooms and didn't feel like having to pack everything again. The next morning when I was getting my things together, I had a NEST of ants crawling through my clothes. OMG!!! I was FURIOUS. I took it to the front desk and the Manager (Winston) said "It must have been something I did to cause it" and only refunded me a resort fee of $67.00. If you are thinking of staying at this hotel PLEASE DO NOT!! YOU WILL BE VERY DISAPPOINTED!! I am in the process of Trying to get a refund or a complimentary 5 day 4 night stay at their NEWER property (The Rivera) which is 3 blocks away and seemed to be a LOT NICER. I have pictures of the clothes with that NEST of ants for anyone who doesn't believe me. just comment with your email and I will either send it or attach it. PS STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL.... YOU WILL REGRET IT !!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!! The pictures on the site are very misleading and outdated.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Vacationers and partiers beware…
This location seemed to be an ideal location for a “GUYS Trip” to Miami. Its central location to South Beach and other destinations in Miami, has it own 24 restaurant, a pool and women ( I did mention it was a guys trip).
The group decided to upgrade our rooms before we arrived since it would increase the chances of everyone staying on the same floor and it was only $80.
When a group of us arrived at the Hotel, we remained optimistic based on the outside décor and were excited to see what an upgrade consisted of. As soon as we got off the half sized elevator we entered a darkly lit, moldy smelling hall way it reminded me of a snippet from the 2nd Hangover movie, when the guy woke up with the Mike Tyson tatt on his face..…”Bangkok Got em” well Miami got us!.
When we entered our rooms, all of them were dark and musty; the beds were 4 inches from the ground with plywood underneath of the not so pillow top mattress. The nightstand had circles from where the prior resident placed her cup and there were traces of weave everywhere (shower included).
Of course we complained to the staff, who already know it was a hell hole and told me it was my right to write a bad review but we were unable to change accommodations because of the lack of availability in the area during this weekend and the hold that were placed against our credit cards.
Before we left, a buddy found a nest of small ants all over his clothes.

Sorry M.I.A wont be back for a while

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Good day Dave T, I am genuinely disappointed to hear that your experience with us was not up to your satisfaction. We are terribly sorry that your time spent with us was less then enjoyable! We are currently working on changing the carpeting in the hallways. We are taking sections at a time so that we don't inconvenience our guests. Our team works hard to make sure that everything is deep cleaned, and ready for the next set of guests. I have sent you a private message requesting more information on your reservation. I would like to further investigate, which room attendant was in charge of your room. Thank you for sharing your honest feedback with us!