“Great value! ” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #87 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Orangeville, On
“Great value! ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

I was able to get an excellent rate on a third party site which was much better than anything else in the area. The valet parking was a little steep at $35 and the service wasn't great. My husband went went down at 11:30 am to request the car for 12. He was told by the valet to 'wait a minute' , meanwhile 2-3 other people were served while my husband continued to wait. When he finally made the request, the valet just told him to come back as 12. We came back at 12, ready to check-out but had to wait in the lobby for 10 mins or so for our car. Not a big deal, but if you're charging a premium, the service rendered should be impressive, I think. There are parking garages within walking distance that charge about $20 but no in/out privileges according to the front desk. Other than that, the beds were comfy, the room was small but clean, the bamboo pool was great and I had the best pina colada ever at the bar! The beach chairs were also a nice addition at the beach which was a short walk away. Would recommend if you're traveling on a budget!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Hello there Newtie-Princess79,

We would like to thank you for the time you took to share your feedback with us! Our rates are always very reasonable! I will make sure to share your feedback regarding valet, with the parking manager. I am delighted to know that you found the room clean and the pools great. We are a boutique hotel therefore our rooms are a bit smaller then your average hotel room. We o offer rooms that are larger in size. Our Living Large room is 245 sq ft and our El Grande room is 280 st ft. We hope to have you stay with us again in the future!

Katrine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
  • Finnish first
Miami Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

We were pleasantly surprised with our experience at the Catalina. We checked in early through Jean up at the front desk. He was very helpful and accommodating! The room was clean. Would stay here again!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your wonderful feedback with us Noelle M! We are very glad to know that you had a lovely time here at The Catalina Hotel! Jean is absolutely amazing, and I will make sure to inform him of your kind words! We would love to see you again soon!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

I come to miami a lot! So I've stayed in quite a few diff hotels here. I absolutely love this hotel. Not only does it have great amenities but the service is always a1!! Jean at the front desk is amazing. No matter wT the problem he always had a solution and a smile. The people are probably the main reason I stay here. I'll def be back to see Jean on my next trip to Miami!!

• Stayed July 2014
Good Day Courtney O! Thank you for sharing your lovely review with us! We offer unbeatable prices with great money saving amenities to go with. I see that you were able to able to enjoy the great service that our team provides! We can't wait to have you stay with us again!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Pros: BAD HOTEL IN A GOOD LOCATION.. CONS: Are as follows When ordering food at the restaurant (Maxine's), it was extremely sloooww. No matter what time of day. It had a very funny damp smell in the hallways and rooms. The elevator was super small and there was only one. It could only fit 2 people at a time with our luggage. The cleaning people left their carts in the hallway everyday all day on every floor and they smelled of food and dirty laundry. I had these very tiny ants all over my floor and closet. After reporting this to the manager, the opted to change my room. I accepted. The new room was in a different building and was a bit larger. I was fine at first, but noticed ants in this room as well. I complained but was checking out in the morning. Honestly I just moved rooms and didn't feel like having to pack everything again. The next morning when I was getting my things together, I had a NEST of ants crawling through my clothes. OMG!!! I was FURIOUS. I took it to the front desk and the Manager (Winston) said "It must have been something I did to cause it" and only refunded me a resort fee of $67.00. If you are thinking of staying at this hotel PLEASE DO NOT!! YOU WILL BE VERY DISAPPOINTED!! I am in the process of Trying to get a refund or a complimentary 5 day 4 night stay at their NEWER property (The Rivera) which is 3 blocks away and seemed to be a LOT NICER. I have pictures of the clothes with that NEST of ants for anyone who doesn't believe me. just comment with your email and I will either send it or attach it. PS STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL.... YOU WILL REGRET IT !!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!! The pictures on the site are very misleading and outdated.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Vacationers and partiers beware…
This location seemed to be an ideal location for a “GUYS Trip” to Miami. Its central location to South Beach and other destinations in Miami, has it own 24 restaurant, a pool and women ( I did mention it was a guys trip).
The group decided to upgrade our rooms before we arrived since it would increase the chances of everyone staying on the same floor and it was only $80.
When a group of us arrived at the Hotel, we remained optimistic based on the outside décor and were excited to see what an upgrade consisted of. As soon as we got off the half sized elevator we entered a darkly lit, moldy smelling hall way it reminded me of a snippet from the 2nd Hangover movie, when the guy woke up with the Mike Tyson tatt on his face..…”Bangkok Got em” well Miami got us!.
When we entered our rooms, all of them were dark and musty; the beds were 4 inches from the ground with plywood underneath of the not so pillow top mattress. The nightstand had circles from where the prior resident placed her cup and there were traces of weave everywhere (shower included).
Of course we complained to the staff, who already know it was a hell hole and told me it was my right to write a bad review but we were unable to change accommodations because of the lack of availability in the area during this weekend and the hold that were placed against our credit cards.
Before we left, a buddy found a nest of small ants all over his clothes.

Sorry M.I.A wont be back for a while

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Good day Dave T, I am genuinely disappointed to hear that your experience with us was not up to your satisfaction. We are terribly sorry that your time spent with us was less then enjoyable! We are currently working on changing the carpeting in the hallways. We are taking sections at a time so that we don't inconvenience our guests. Our team works hard to make sure that everything is deep cleaned, and ready for the next set of guests. I have sent you a private message requesting more information on your reservation. I would like to further investigate, which room attendant was in charge of your room. Thank you for sharing your honest feedback with us!

Tulsa, Oklahoma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

About 2 weeks before I went to this hotel I called twice to let them know that I was traveling with my 12 y/o son and that I would prefer to have a decent view and not a view of a wall or a roof which is normally what hotels seem to give me and I was assured that that would not be the case.

Got there on a Monday July 7th, 2014. There was about 4 people in front of me to check in and it still took about 30-45 minutes to do so. The two at the front desk seemed bored and were very slow. Not only that, there was a very nasty odor in this hotel which almost made me sick. I couldn't really tell what the odor was though. Plus the valet parking was $35.00 a night which is way overpriced.

I was given the room in the middle hotel and was told that it was a nice room and quiet. Well it was certainly not quiet with the people yelling and guess what? Yep I had a beautiful view of the wall next door.

I went to the desk the next morning and asked to be changed to a room with a view of the pool. This guy was pleasant and switched me rooms. Problem was that there were so many bamboo outside the window that the pool wasn't really seen but oh well.

The rooms are very small (Which I had expected because of the reviews) and it was hard to place my luggage.

The shower was clean although in the main room, the floors were sticky. It didn't have a tub but only a shower without a door but a drain in the floor. This particular part of the hotel also smelled really badly. I can say though that the beds are very nice.

There is a happy hour from 7-8 with free drinks and because this was my first night there I tried to tip heavily at first until I realized that even if you do this that the drinks don't get any heavier but your wallet just gets lighter, so I quit doing it.

The pool on the roof on the left side hotel was nice as was the one in the bamboo room Very clean for the most part.

Maxines (the restaurant in the right side hotel) was too expensive and added a 15% tip regardless of either the food or the staff. Find a place further away.

I can say that the staff was very nice for the most part. On one occasion I called the desk and ordered ice. An hour later, no ice. I went next door and the desk told me who to talk to about ice. His reply was, "Do you want me to get it for you or can you get it for yourself?" and he pointed me to an alley way. The way he said it was kind of rude. I got it myself.

Lastly, I left yesterday. This hotel has no laundry so at 5:00am I went to the front desk and asked where the nearest laundry was and was told it was 6 blocks in a certain direction. I got my bag full of clothes and started walking. I walked the 6 blocks and saw nothing. I went to a Walgreens and asked where the laundry was and was told it was in the opposite direction and a lot further. I went back to the hotel and told the gut at the desk what had happened and although he worked there was oblivious then said "OH the construction must have it blocked". He was apologetic but I wasn't to amused. I checked out yesterday and used my GPS to find a laundry.

On a positive note...Most of the workers are friendly, my son loved the dance party and it is only a block from the beach...

Room Tip: Facing the hotel, go to the one on the left with the pool on the roof... Less of a nasty smell and a...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Good Afternoon soupperG,

We value all of our guests feedback and thank you for sharing yours with us! We apologize that your time spent here was not a 5 star one! We understand that you wanted a room with a view. We did place a note in your reservation, but it was a request not a guarantee that you were going to receive that room. I am very glad that we were able to accommodate you with a room with a view of the pool. We do keep the bamboo there for a more private feel. We are indeed a boutique hotel therefore our rooms are a bit smaller then your average hotel room. I see that you were able to take advantage of the amenities that we offer. The majority of the bars and restaurants here on South Beach include gratuity. It is not mandatory though, you can simply cross it out and place what you feel is desired. We do have a laundry company that comes and picks up the laundry that guests request to clean. The prices are placed in the room for all of our guests to see. Once again I would like to apologize that your time spent with us was not a 5 star one! I hope we have the chance to welcome you back so you may reap the benefits of our continuous improvements here at The Catalina Hotel!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

Great service must try sushi. Stayed for 3 nights loved the location location and the location; the rooftop pool was relaxing they also have a happy hour every night Aaron was so friendly and helpful we will definitely stay again

• Stayed July 2014
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Good Day Joshua F and thank you for sharing your feedback with us, regarding your recent stay! We are located on Collins Ave, just blocks away from all the hottest spots around. We are stoked to know that you were given great service from Aaron! He is lovely and all of our guests think so as well. FUNG KU serves delicious Pan-Asian food, in large quantities at a reasonable price. Please come back and stay with us again sometime soon!

Katrine

Been to Catalina Hotel & Beach Club? Share your experiences!