“Wonderful Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #88 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
New York City, New York
“Wonderful Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I've used this hotel once before and had to come back. This will be my go to hotel whenever I'min Miami. Clean rooms helpful staff. Love the dorset building. The pool guy Jerry has excellent customer service skills and was extremely helpful in my stay there with a few friends.

Room Tip: The Dorset building has the rooftop pool and is a quiet building. The sushi restaurant is also good.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

I stayed solo at the Catalina over the 4th of July weekend and thoroughly enjoyed my visit. The hotel is located 2 or 3 blocks north of the start of Ocean Drive and just a block away from Lincoln Road. As I tend to walk on these vacations, I think it was perfectly located. The room, as is the case with most South Beach hotels, was on the smallish side, but they fit a nice king bed in there and the bathroom(or should I say shower-room) was sufficiently sized. The AC pumped cool air in and the curtains made the room plenty dark for sleeping.
I was pleasantly surprised by the friendly staff at the hotel. From the first greeting by the bellmen(who safely stored my bags when I arrived in the morning long before checkin), to the desk staff and management.
A particular star on the staff was Jade behind the bar. Between the English accent that dripped off her tongue like honey to her absolute professionalism managing the crowd at the happy hour, she really contributed to the positive vibe at the hotel.
In conclusion, I would absolutely recommend this hotel for short term stays for a person or two.

Room Tip: A few rooms away from the front lobby would be better if you like to go to bed early.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
NYCJulie
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

It was very inexpensive for the great location but the room felt cramped, dirty and old and the staff seemed like teenagers who could care less to have a job. There was a cockroach in the elevator when we first got there, its Florida, fine I get it, but that was the only roach I saw while I was in FL for almost a week. The roof pool was closed for construction, bummer. I love the restaurant outside for brunch though, ill definitely go there again!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Just got back from South Beach for my 30th birthday and 5 girlfriends and I stayed at the Catalina all weekend. We had the BEST TIME EVER. It is a boutique hotel so the rooms are small, but we didn't mind because the price is great. The concierge Mike was amazing and so helpful! He hooked us up at the rooftop pool (which was so fun and played the best hip hop music). Frank also gave us the hook up at night and took us to several bars and clubs every single night. They seriously took care of us! The free one hour happy hour every night was great too because it allowed us to meet everyone else in our hotel (not to mention FREE). They played music all day and night, so if you are looking for somewhere quiet, this is not the place for you. BUT if you are headed to Miami for a girls weekend and are looking to party and have a great time, stay at the Catalina!!! Great staff, great price, Maxine's next door is also AMAZING! Couldn't have asked for a better 30th birthday weekend!!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Not the worst hotel but certainly not the best. Believe every negative thing from previous reviews. The location of the hotel is good and there is a lot to do within walking distance. Just spent 4 nights over 4th holiday. They first put us in a handicap room in the Maxine building and the room was ok but just as other reviews have said, the halls were creepy dark and smelled funny. We asked to be moved because the a/c was not great and the handicap accessability made the bathroom awkward. We ended up in the main building...big mistake. Again, just as previous reviews stated, extremely loud music playing in the lobby can be heard in the rooms as well as late night partyers coming back and being loud. The music played throughout the hotel was loud and obnoxious hip hop & rap and we couldn't even stand to be at the pool it was so bad. The free beach chair is good but the beach area is not the best. It's still a public beach and it was very crowded and a bit disorganized. Our room didn't get cleaned one day so that was annoying but when it was cleaned, it was good. Beds are comfy. Basically, it's a budget hotel in an otherwise high dollar area and you get what you pay for. This hotel very much caters to a younger crowd so I wouldn't suggest anyone over 30 or with children stay there. I will say the staff were all very pleasant and nice. On a good note, Ava in Maxine's bar makes a fabulous cucumber bloody mary and Louis gave us some good tourist tips.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Hello janelynn,

Thank you for taking your time to post your honest feedback about your recent stay with us! I see that you were happy with the location of our property! We are definitely in a perfect spot, close to the action yet far enough where you can escape when you want to. I am sorry that you found the hallways to be creepy. We like to keep the lighting in our hotel dim and relaxed. I am glad that we were able to accommodate you to another room in the main building, but I see that you were not content with that move. Unfortunately we are not able to tell our guests how to behave. We have to keep in mind that everyone is here to vacation, and everyone wants to have a good time. You were also indeed here during a huge party weekend therefore there are going to be loud and rowdy guests that are all enjoying there time and holiday! I am terribly sorry that you were not content with the genre of music that the DJ's were playing at the hotel. In regards to the beach, again you were here during a holiday weekend and this brings A LOT of people to Miami, more then usual. Every beach is a public beach and welcomes everyone to enjoy the wonderful Florida sand and sun! I will definitely inform the Director of Housekeeping about your room not getting cleaned on one of the days you were here. I am very content to know that your staff was able to please you with wonderful service!

Katrine
North Brunswick, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

My sister and I stayed at the Catalina during the end of April. It is in the perfect location. Across the street from the beach with free and convenient beach chairs and towels and a few blocks from everything else. The rooftop bar and pool was our absolute favorite, it was a hidden gem away from the busy Miami streets. We stayed in the El Grande Room, which of course in a boutique hotel still isnt a huge suite, but the decor was great, the room was clean and we had no problems fitting everything we had (and we packed a lot). From when we arrived to when we left, the staff were great and attentive. The free happy hour drinks were surprisingly good and the live entertainment was also great. We stayed in the building with the Kung Fu Restaurant, our friends stayed 2 buildings over where Maxines Bistro is (there are 3 buildings to this property), but it was no hassle meeting up with them. They stayed in a smaller room with more people and said it was tight but comfortable. Ate at Maxine's for breakfast and it was very good. Only complaint is the safe in our room was broken, but we did not have any incidents and the toilet is in a separate room-not near the sink, so we had to go across the room to wash our hands (odd bathroom set up), but it was not a major deal. Overall excellent experience, and I will definitely stay at the Catalina again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

Me and my girl friend had a wonderful time there! Check out out the rooftop bar and pool. The bartender, Keith, was really entertaining. He definitely made the best drinks I had on the beach.

To top it off there was a fun crowd throughout the hotel. It was just a big party. I'd definitely be back!

• Stayed January 2013
Hello Weoutsideandshit,

There is nothing that we love more then 5 STAR FEEDBACK!!!!!!!!!!!!! I see that you and the girlfriend had a great time while staying with us! I am really glad to read that you were able to experience our rooftop pool with Keith. He is great and the drinks that he makes are even better! :) We can't wait for you and your girlfriend to stay with us again!

Katrine

Been to Catalina Hotel & Beach Club? Share your experiences!