“Best sushi ever!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #85 of 201 hotels in Miami Beach
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
“Best sushi ever!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I only know the restaurant of the Catalina but I can tell you I had the best sushi of my life and I've been to many places!!!! They were fresh, tasteful...just perfect. Only thing that I didn't like was that we ate just right next to Collins Avenue and it's traffic.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Hello disGraziana,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your wonderful feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am very glad to read that you were content with the sushi at Kung Fu Kitchen & Sushi!! They do have amazing rolls and also great Pan-Asian food to choose from! We do offer inside seating for those that prefer to be away from the street. We hope to have you dine with us again!

Katrine

2,309 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (353)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

The customer service here is great! Jonathan, Jerry and Keith in particular were all very accommodating and friendly. Jerry and Keith serve great drinks and even fixed an umbrella for my friends and me when we were in need of a little shade. Jonathan was very helpful in providing us with a (better) room when the shower in ours was not working properly. I would definitely recommend this hotel. The food and service is the best!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

I'm writing this review to help others avoid the same mistake I made. I did a lot of research, read all these reviews, and narrowed down my hotels to South Seas and Catalina Beach Club. I chose South Seas because it was ON the beach. Big mistake. I moved to the Catalina the very next morning. Don't make the same mistake I did.

Here's what I loved about Catalina:
- The rooms newly remodeled with very comfortable beds. I stayed in Dorchester building because I needed double beds. The Maxine building also has very nice rooms but only king beds in Maxine. Avoid the Catalina building - that's the oldest building with the red and white "film developing" rooms and dark hallways that you hear about. Take it from me, do not be scared off by reviews that say the rooms are bad. They are done in a modern decorating style, but the rooms in Dorchester and Maxine buildings are brand new, comfortable, and very nice, just avoid the Catalina building (the three buildings are very close and share the same pools but they have their own lobbies and are not physically connected).
- Wonderful staff - every single person was wonderful to us (me, sister, and my son), especially Winston at the front desk, and the concierge.
- It's totally unique - each building has nightlife in the lobby, live music, restaurants, great atmosphere.
- It is a loud hotel, that is true. Loud music playing in the lobby of each building, but once you get off your elevator and up to your room you honestly cannot hear the music or noise coming from the lobby below. The rooms are very well sound-proofed. I don't know what other people are talking about when they say "thin walls" - that was definitely not my experience in the Dorchester building, and I was there for work.
- Excellent location - a block or two from all the nicest hotels Delano, Ritz, Lowes etc. and the beach is right across the street with easy access to the beach front path. Could not be easier to get to. On the beach, you are given a voucher for two chairs and towels daily and beach toys for the kids included with your room rate.
Aside: The Espanola area is very cool for dinner or farmers market, don't miss it.

Here's what I did not like about South Seas:
- The rooms are impossibly small, even by South Beach standards
- The rooms are rundown - the dust ruffle on bed was badly stained, ceiling had water damage, bathroom door was dilapidated, no window treatments (rooms not as pictured)
- The common areas are also rundown, the whole hotel needs a remodel - i.e. the ottoman in the lobby is stained, the carpets in the hallways are dirty
- The professional photos are completely misleading. Those are not the standard rooms. The lobby, front desk, and outdoor areas do not look like that.

If you are trying to choose between the Catalina and the South Seas, which are comparable in price, then the Catalina is a far better experience

Room Tip: The newer buildings are Dorchester and Maxine, both have nice rooms, many have pool view. Only king...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in Catalonia April 2013 two adults and two kids the we payed around £170 for two nights and we found out that if you book two nights is cheaper than one and one other thing you have to book online to have a good price we booked through booking.com
We didn't expect what we had as Miami in April is expensive but we had a modern room clean good size not very spacious soft mattress 3d tv I phone 5 I pod speaker and charger nice bathroom very modern I really loved it the only problem is the parking they charge 35 dolar a day but we found a parking around the corner for 25 dolar but just for the night
Very class lounge very modern nice deco I loved it breakfast not included enjoy

• Stayed April 2013
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

If you don't want to sleep (as most travelers on Sobe don't) then this is your place
The hotel is older (as most are on Sobe) so you can hear every noise.
Fun & trendy
Minimalist decor but the rooms are lacking in lighting
Bathrooms are small
Beds are super comfy tho
And the bar staff is awesome
24 Maxine's downstairs is great to people watch
Super close to the beach and Lincoln road and the pool is nice if you don't want to venture out.

• Stayed May 2012
Naples, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

A few girls and I stayed at the Catalina Hotel on Collins Avenue for a Bachelorette Party weekend and it was wonderful! The Bachelorette Party package that Catalina offers was great, including free airport shuttle to/from MIA airport, Happy Hour with free drinks nightly from 7pm-8pm, 2 free beach chairs, bike and towel rental, VIP club access passes and deals to the Opium Group nightclubs, free cart to their sister properties on South Beach, and a bottle of Vodka upon arrival - for such a great price! Their El Grande room is very spacious and definitely accommodated us 5 girls! The room came with a large king bed in 1 bedroom and a queen sofa sleeper in the living room area as well as 2 bathrooms and 2 showers! They even decorated the room with a hot pink boa, a Bachelorette shot glass necklace and the bottle of chilled Vodkal!! When we checked in, Eddie (bellhop) was so helpful with enthusiastically carrying our bags and also mentioned that if there's anything we need, to just let him or the staff know! Sabrina and Jenny (front desk) were also very helpful and fast with check-in and check-out. This hotel really made our weekend so great because of its location, too! It is located walking distance from Lincoln Road Mall (5 mins) as well as a 20-30 min walk to Ocean Drive's main action-packed area (Clevelander, Mango's, etc). Thanks Catalina Hotel for a great stay!!

Room Tip: El Grande for Bachelorette Parties!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Stranraer, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Everything about this hotel was great it wasn't so clean in the lobby but the rooms were emasculate!! The staff in the hotel were very friendly and the service was great!! It was in a great location the only thing was at night there were a lot of homeless people and beggars gathered outside the hotel it gave a scary feeling but apart from that we had a great stay

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Catalina Hotel & Beach Club? Share your experiences!