“Great location - parking a pain” 4 of 5 stars

Catalina Hotel & Beach Club
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1732-1756 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #88 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great location - parking a pain”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We stayed here for one night - it is essentially 3 hotels in one. Check in and unloading with your own car was tricky- we managed to unload and then I drove to a car park on 17th street ($20 for 24 hours). Check in was OK and we paid $20 for one early check in. Rooms are fine and the whole atmosphere is very nice. Since it is 3 buildings everything is a little disjointed. The location on Collins Ave is great - plenty to see and do without the need for a car.
As an aside, the price of beers was a bit much but overall a really nice experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

2,349 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
garnet valley,pa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Came down for a short stay w my 15 yo son.booked last minute thru booking.com hotel shuttle a plus, location great.liked free beach chairs courtyard pool was quiet and relaxing.staff was very pleasant and seemed to care a lot.
Cons: dark halls, bad drainage in shower, when you reach in to turn on the shower you get soaked.get undressed first the on off was in a wierd spot.carpet really needs replacing.room no cleaned til late afternoon. Duvet had to be replaced nasty.thanks to front desk they took care of it.
Overall it was ok for the price, I get old and how the walls were thin.But I'm happy to have only paid 200. Ttl per night.More than that and I would have been really disappointed.
PS do what you can to hang on to the staff.They deserve a better environment!

• Stayed March 2013
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I only stayed here one night but I'd stay here again based on the location alone. The staff during the day was ok, not the best, but the overnight staff was very helpful. The bar had a free happy hour in the evening which is always great and the room was as expected. Free wifi :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Staff at Catalina Hotel is what makes the hotel so awesome. They showed me such a warm welcome and guided me through my whole experience in South Beach, from excellent concierge service to new linens in the night. The rooms are great and the red theme of the hotel gives a great positive vibe. The staff was always polite and most important helpful. One staff member that really stood out to me was Juan at front desk. He was so knowledge and always eager to help me with any questions I had. Juan was obliging and helpful with my luggage and car valet, as well as giving tips to the best local places to visit! Juan went above and beyond, he made me feel as a very special and important guest! Also you can’t beat the location! Right by the beach. We stayed for 3 nights and every day was a joy! The restaurants at Catalina are great, with how quick the service was to how good the food tasted. The bar downstairs is very convenient and the outside sitting area has an amazing relaxing view. I really enjoyed my stay. And definitely will stay there again! (Thank you Juan for such a great experience!)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

So i arrived at the hotel and i was received by am awesome staff, the bellman Eddie greeted me and helped me with everything. I was checked in by a really nice guy named Andres he helped with everything! Walked us to our room and made sure we had everything we needed, offered us the party bus and checked on us the next day and made the extra effort and it was a big plus! Tyrell also helped he knew everything and made it all happen, thanks bro!... Only bad thing was that my key would get deactivated every day and it was kind of annoying.

• Stayed February 2013
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Positives: Near beach, Lincoln road shopping, and staff was overall friendly and accomadating.
bathroom was clean, no mold evident in shower or musty smell. Fresh and bright painted room, small refrigerator, room safe, hair dryer, high ceilings and beds were very comfortable.

negatives: Bedroom is a very confined space. This is a 1950's building, with not many upgrades, tired carpeting and a 1970's decor. Not much insulation between the walls so arguments, discussions, etc easily recognized. This hotel, despite it's glitzy name is tired, worn down, and in need of refurbishing. The entertainment /music played far too loudly each night from the front desk/lobby/bar area until 3:00 a.m! which permeated down the halls and vibrated all through the my wing. Sleeping comfortable was an enormous challenge, due to the noise and the a/c not functioning. The room thermostat is inoperable. It was 80 degrees in the room when we arrived at 3:30 pm, and despite my attempts, it was still 80 degrees 8 hours later. I had asked front desk for engineering assistance when nothing happened after trying to jump start it. They arrived with a box fan as a solution, but due to a language barrier, the engineer departed with the fan, instead of leaving it with me and the hot air in the room remained.

Overall the hotel and the room was small, hot, and loud, with dirty carpeting. this is fine if you are a college student on spring break, and not expecting to spend time in your room, but not adequate for adult or family friendly.

Room Tip: avoid rooms on the north side of the hotel - the music vibrates down the hall. sleeping was a challe...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013 via mobile

The smell was terrible a serious mold problem. Add 25% to your room for parking or be prepared to walk blocks for parking. You can get the same price if you walk in off the street
Dont waste your time there are hundreds of hotels side by side in the same area, anything would be better.

SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Good Afternoon Henry Y,

Your honest feedback is greatly appreciated and we are extremely glad that you chose to share it with us! I am terribly sorry to read that you had experienced such a smell. We are working on changing the carpets in the hallways. Our guests walk in wet straight from the beach or from the pool. The constant water that gets dripped on the carpets causes this. We try to inform all of our guests to dry off completely before going into the hallways. We are working on correcting the issue and the project will be completely within no time. We do offer valet parking at the hotel for a fee. There are other lots and garages around the property, and our complimentary go shuttle would be more then happy to pick you up after you have dropped your car off, or need to pick it up.

Katrine

Been to Catalina Hotel & Beach Club? Share your experiences!