“Pleasantly surprised” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #88 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

As a solo traveler and after reading previous reviews, I was apprehensive about staying here. South Beach is a wild and crazy place and The Catalina is definitely part of the "scene." What made my overnight stay quite pleasant was the change in my room assignment, made by the concierge when I checked in. Without me asking, he gave me a quiet room at the back of the hotel. It was spacious, immaculate, and quite comfortable. As I didn't eat at the hotel, use the outdoor areas or the bars, I can't comment on any other element. I was; however, pleased with my experience there and grateful for the professional concern the conceirge showed.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Hello Isabella B,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us! We are glad that you chose to share your wonderful feedback with us! I am glad to know that our wonderful concierge accommodated you to a great room in the back of the hotel, that was more suitable for your taste. We are always trying to please our guests and make them feel comfortable. I am content to know that you were given such service!
We hope to have you stay with us again!

2,362 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
West Palm Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Overall I can say this place is one of my favorite chill places to stay at in Miami. Pool on the rooftop being where my best experiences were at. But when it comes to parking... While waiting for our car to come back from vallet it took 50 minutes! We could have gotten ready to go out and eat within that time! But we just set there like " let's be calm and wait...." Minutes continued on... Took forever... Good hotel just don't expect to retrieve your car anytime soon.

• Stayed February 2013
Hello Sabeerart,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated and we are very glad that you chose to share it with us! We are very glad to read that The Catalina is one of your favorite places to stay in Miami! We want to continue to be your favorite!! :) I am glad to know that you were able to enjoy the rooftop pool. It's such a great spot to take a dip in the pool, and sip on some refreshing cocktails! We are truly sorry that you had to wait for your car for that long. The valet company that we use is an outside company and I will definitely inform the General Manager about this long wait. What happens a lot of the time is that since they share a garage with other companies, everyone wants their car around the same time and the garage gets jammed with so many requests at once.
Thank you for taking your time to share this with us!
We hope to see you soon!

Springfield, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

I had first stayed at this hotel (Maxine part - there's 3 hotels together) in August 2010 and it was great. I then stayed January 18-21 with two of my girlfriends and we were booked in a room in the middle hotel (Catalina I think) and it was really small so we asked to be moved and the front desk was awesome to us and moved us to the Maxine. Amazing what three years will do...but still a good hotel and we had a great time at the downstairs bar and the rooftop pool. The free shuttle and happy hour continue to be a great perk and the staff are all really kind and helpful.

So I just returned from another stay (Feb 9-12 - I live in NJ and hate snow!) and this time noticed a lot more issues. The shuttle was great and drivers were wonderful. My friend arrived before me and she had a room in the Dorset - room 101. The bed was so squeaky and the set up of the room was odd so we asked to be moved. They moved us to 280 in the Maxine and there were numerous mosquitos in the room - two bit me and my friend killed one on her bed that was full of blood. I saw a roach in the bathroom and then noticed the air conditioner had a huge gap in the top of it to outside which would explain the skeeters! Overall, still a good deal, just make sure you get a good deal. My friend tried to extend her stay and they wanted instead of like $150/160 a night $399 - b/c of the boat show. It's worth 150 but I wouldn't pay much over that. She is staying at the Shelbourne instead and says it's way nicer.

BTW - the girl who bartends at the Maxine (tall, beautiful - think her name is Uva) is adorable and remembered me from one month to the next - things like that are good about the hotel. She's so friendly and kind - makes you want to go back. They also work with a promoter named Iddo and he's awesome as well if you want to go to a club - pay an amount and they take you on a bus to the club. So overall some bad, mostly good!

Good Afternoon Lilpiddy,

Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us as well as leaving your honest feedback for all of our future guests to read! I am glad to know that you are a loyal returning guest. We apologize greatly that you were not content with the room that you were given. I see that we were able to accommodate you to another room. The rates do indeed change based on supply and demand. The rates get higher when we have special events going on in town, which explains why the rate went up from $150 to $399. Boat Show is one of the biggest events that take place here in South Florida, and draws many people. The bartender from Maxine is absolutely amazing! She is a great and all of our guests love her.
We hope to have you and your girlfriends stay with us again sometime soon!

Weehawken, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

We stayed at the Catalina for my bachelorette weekend and here is our review. We stayed 3 nights with 6 girls....for the amount of time we were there I would say it was average, but would never stay there again.....

Pros:
- Location was key
- Restaurant in Maxine with good food - ate here about 3 times....breakfast is yummy and cocktails
- The beds/pillows are really comfy
- Keith and Johnson that work at the rooftop pool are WONDERFUL! Loved the free shots that were passed around...
- The rooftop pool was really nice to hang out at and the pool beds are really comfortable
- Beach chairs and towels included with room
- Bottle of Kettle One vodka included in the Rock Star room

Cons:
- Pictures on website are WAY nicer then the hotel and rooms actually are - rooms are outdated and pretty old/run down looking in person...
- People that work at hotel are rude and slow
- Our two rooms were located in the Maxine and directly above the bar. The music blasted every night until wee hours of the morning (6am)...the first night we had to call and go down there a number of times until they unplugged the stereo....had to do this again on the second night too
- The bathrooms are HORRIBLE, can only fit one person in the bathroom and the whole bathroom was flooded with water after you shower
- There are barely any outlets to plug your phone, etc into in the actual room. We had to unplug the clocks and the one and only table lamp to do so
- The rooms are VERY dark, so girls, getting ready in the rook makes it impossible especially trying to put your make up on
- The smell in our hallway was musty and made us sick

Good Afternoon Court23c,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! Thank you for choosing to stay with us for the big celebration weekend!! I am very glad to read that you were content with the location of our property! We are in the middle of all the action! Maxine's has really good food and their breakfast is absolutely great! My favorite is their breakfast tacos- so delicious! Our team is always eager to serve you and I am glad that is what you experienced! I will definitely let Jason and Keith know about your kind praise! They are great assets to our team and all of our guests love them! The rooftop pool is such a great place to take a dip in the middle while sipping on a delicious cocktail! We are currently working on finding a solution for the noise. We want the party goers to enjoy the party, and the sleepers to get a great nights rest! Our hotel is indeed a boutique hotel therefore our rooms and bathrooms are smaller then your average hotel. We do provide extra lamps for those guests who want to illuminate their rooms a bit more. Did you happen to ask the front desk or the operator to provide you with one?

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Have an amazing day!

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I stayed here 3 weeks ago and came back since my previous trip was cut short. The staff was very kind and they even honored the lower hotel rate after booking. The exceptional service came from the rooftop pool at the Dorset hotel. Jorge and Keith were very accomodating with drinks, towels, and I couldn't ask for better hospitality. I will definitely recommend other guests to this hotel and appreciate the experience I had. Thank you!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Hello Cheryl S,

Your 5 star feedback is greatly appreciated and we are very glad that you chose to share it with us! Thank you for choosing to stay for us and being a loyal returning customer. Our staff is great and they are always eager to serve you! I am glad that you were given that service as well! I am glad that you found our staff to be very kind! I will let Jorge and Keith know of your kind praise! They are great employee's and all of our guests love them! We can't wait to have you stay with us again in the future!!

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We decided to stay at the Catalina on our most recent visit to Miami Beach before going on The Groove Cruise. It was right across the street from the SLS Hotel where they have Hyde for pool parties and was in a good location on Collins Ave for walking Lincoln Road, etc. The room we were given was lovely, we enjoyed the daily free drinks at happy hour and also enjoyed the rooftop pool. A+ for the tempur mattress as well

Room Tip: Go for a business room in the Dorset building
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Good Afternoon PhillipFiona,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your positive review on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! We are very glad to read that you had a great time while staying with us! I see that you were content with the room that you were given! I am glad that you were able to take advantage of our amenities. All of our guests love them and we are glad that you did too! :)

Please come back and create more great memories!!

Have a wonderful day!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

I booked 1 night through a travel agent with a large group of people. I was a little skeptical at first because last time I booked with this travel agency the hotel was horrible, but I can definitely say I was pleasantly surprised. I never write reviews, but from the moment we stepped out of our car service we were greeted by the bellhop, he brought in our bags and we were helped right away at the front desk. The gentlemen at the front desk was very helpful and knowledgable. We needed to print out boarding passes and Tyrell (the concierge) helped us without any hesitation and was very generous with drink tickets.

Pros: cocktail hour (amazing), sleek/modern rooms, comfortable beds, rooftop pool, quick service
Cons: small shower, but manageable

I'm going back to Miami in April and will definitely be staying at the Catalina!!

• Stayed January 2013
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Hello FirstTimer26,

We are so glad that you chose to leave a 5 star review on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us!! We are very glad to read that from the moment that you stepped out of the car you were given great service!! Everyone that works at The Catalina is well trained to provide outstanding customer service and I am glad that is what you received!! I will let Tyrell know of your kind words! We are also very glad to read that you were able to take advantage of our lovely amenities!!

Please come back and stay with us again !

Katrine

Been to Catalina Hotel & Beach Club? Share your experiences!