“Clean South Beach Hotel!!” 5 of 5 stars

Catalina Hotel & Beach Club
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1732-1756 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #88 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
southernsurprise
“Clean South Beach Hotel!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

I booked through Priceline for $100. My fiancé told me to be careful with boutique hotels in SoBe...but I completed my transaction anyways. I was only going to be in South Beach for one night, cause I was boarding a cruise the next day. I was so impressed with the hotel! This will be my Miami hotel!

The Hotel:
Free shuttle from the airport. They do confirm that you are a guest of the hotel before you get on the bus. When you arrive, they quickly take your bags and you enter the hotel. It's really cute inside (a lot of red and white) but it is tiny! They require a hold of $100, which you can give in cash and they take $15 out for the resort fee. I did not see an elevator, my room was on the first floor. The hallways are narrow. Very narrow. The room was bright! Very white and clean looking. Hardwood floors, white walls, whit linen. There is a cash bar, and a small tv. The bathroom is very small and I noticed small insects on the mirror. The view is bamboo limbs as our room faced the bamboo garden. The air was pumping and the sheets were clean. Breakfast next door is amazing! The hotel offers a very small continental breakfast, but if you want a whole meal, go next door. It's a block away from the beach. The hotel offers two beach towels and two umbrella covered beach chairs per room. They have a stretch golf cart that takes you to their sister property which is down the street and close to Mangos-you have to go to Mangos South Beach!

I will be returning!!

• Stayed September 2012

2,349 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Worst hotel I've stayed at on South Beach...Do not stay here if you need internet. Does not exist here. Third world countries can manage internet buy this hotel cannot. Service for South Beach is terrible. They are doing you a favor, and you will not forget that. Wow...a world traveller and probably the worst service I've come across.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Gothenburg, Sweden
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

The one good thing with this hotel, is the location. Very close to the beach, where the hotel provides beachchairs for free, shopping, bars and restaurants.
But almost everything else is pretty bad. It is really overprices (314$/night) which is far to much for the low standard. Our room was really dirty(we got black feets by walking across the floor), smelly, damp (towels never get dry) and really dark. We had specifically asked for a top floor room and added 20$ to our reservation, but they still gave us a room downstairs right next to the Maxime bar (just round the corner of the actual bardisk) When we asked about it they told us that there were no top floor rooms available, however we did not have to pay the extra 20$, i don'y know if they thought that was "kind" of them. We made our reservation in april so i find it hard to believe that all of the top floor rooms were booked since then. But what do i know?
The hotel web page also promised that there would be a chilled bottle of vodka waiting in the room when we arrived, there was not. We did not need it but it still should have been there.
I had high expectations of this hotel and but unfortunately the experience was a disappointment.

• Stayed January 2013
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Good Afternoon LisenGBG,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am very glad that you were content with the location of our property! We are within walking distance to everything. Our staff works very hard to ensure that each room is deep cleaned after every check- out. It is then inspected by one of our housekeeping supervisors just to make sure proper cleaning was done. Then the room is put 'clean' into the system. Did you inform the front desk staff about that? If so, who did you speak with? We do cater to our guests as a first come first serve.
In regards to the chilled bottle of Vodka- you should have gotten that upon arriving to your room.
Can you provide me with the last name under your reservation? I would like to take a further look into who was assisting you at the time of check in, and why there was no bottle in your room.
We hope that you would give us another chance in staying with us again!

I look forward in hearing from you!

Katrine Beltran
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

The Catalina hotel and beach club has everything you need for a wonderful South Beach stay. I have been coming to SB for my whole life. This was like finding a hidden treasure. Location is the best. Across the street from the best beach.

This hotel is charming, clean and comes with so many wonderful amenities. It is a quarter of the price then I usually pay and you are not missing anything.. It comes with lots of things that usually you have to pay extra for. Just a few are beach service and lounges, bikes, shuttle service. Happy hour with free drinks. I am a beach girl but if your not they have 2 pools for you..

I love the white rooms. The beds are super comfortable. Bathrooms are updated with a rainfall shower. Their organic toiletries are scrumptious..

The concierge is great. Tyrell Yerby was a great help. He is very knowledgable, helpful and kind. He made my stay an even more enjoyable experience. I will be coming back very soon.

• Stayed January 2013
Hello Nspippa,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!! We are very glad to read that The Catalina has everything that you needed to have a wonderful time on South Beach!! We are a hidden treasure and we are glad that you found us! :) Our staff works hard to make sure the property is always clean and in perfect operating conditions! I see that you were also able to take advantage of some of our amenities. :) All of our guests love the freebies and we are glad that you did too! We only use the best mattresses- Tempur Pedic. You sleep like your on a cloud!! Tyrell is great and I will let him know of your wonderful praise!

We hope to host your next visit to South Beach!!

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We stayed in a suite in the Dorest building and were very impressed with the size and aspect of the room for the price. The hotel is has a young, fresh feel to it and the staff extremely friendly and helpful - especially Sabrina from the front desk. We didn't eat in the restaurants but they looked nice. The rooftop pool in the Dorest is better option than the bamboo pool. Beach towels, beach loungers, house drinks (7-8pm), bike rental and airport transfer are all included. Hotel is just a couple of blocks from Oceans Drive, Lincon Road and Espaniola Way. Overall great choice for Miami Beach.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Good Afternoon CJW_TA,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!! Thank you for taking your time to share it with us! We are very glad to read that you were content with the room that you were given, as well as the service provided by Sabrina. I will let her know of your wonderful praise! Some of our guests prefer the Bamboo pool others prefer the Rooftop pool. They are both very nice and cater to different wants. The Rooftop pool is more for the sun bathers and the Bamboo pool is for the people who want to still take a dip in the pool but have more shade and relaxation. I see that you were able to take advantage of our amenities. We are very glad that you enjoyed them!
We hope to have you stay with us again soon!

Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

My wife and I stayed for 2 nights last month, after taking the red eye from la the Catalina was only available hotel during the holiday. Doormen, courteous and total pros. Front desk clerk checked us in early and we where able to get some sleep, the whole front desk staff was so on top off things early in the am, loved it. The rooms are a bit small but hey your in SOBE the rooms are to pass out in, but they do come with a fully stocked minibar. We woke up had breakfast and Mimosas next door at the onsite restaraunt and where feeling good. Here's the great thing the ROOFTOP POOL. It's clean quiet with. Great view and comfortable, get this beds to lay on Sweet! Off to happy hour at Kung Fu Sushi, great happy hour for hotel guests great bartender Russian girl I want to say Ilene but I could be wrong anyway the whole staff was great and the Sushi was awesome, Nostrovia by the way! I would highly recommend and now that we live here in SOBE it's kind of our little hideaway hangout, everyone is so pleasant, that shows good management! One more thing props to the Pool Staff !

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Wayne H,

Thank you for taking your time to post your kind feedback on Trip Advisor, for all of our future guests to read! We are very glad to read that you had a 5 star stay with us!! :) From the moment that you arrived you were given great service by the bellman and the front desk agent. We are indeed a boutique hotel therefore our rooms are a bit smaller then your average hotel room. The breakfast at Maxine's is simply the best, and so fresh!! I love their breakfast taco's w/ a side of fresh squeezed orange juice! YUMM!!! I will let Iliana know of your kind praise! She is absolutely amazing, and provides top notch customer service!! We can't wait to have you stay with us again, hopefully soon!

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I just returned from a girls Trip to SOBE! We arrived early and the room was not ready so we left the bags with the guys at the door...came back at 4pm and the room was ready. It is a typical south beach boutique budget hotel so if you want luxury pay the luxury price and do not complain!! We took advantage of all their great amenities, cabanas by the pool, chairs at the beach, and the Awesome happy hour. The staff was very friendly and accommodating, housekeeping, front desk, concierge, bellmen, ect.
This is more of a party hotel and I will be back every time I come to SOBE to have a great time!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Good Afternoon Travelover13NY,

Your wonderful feedback is greatly appreciated!!! I am so glad to read that you had a great time in Sobe while staying with us!! We are very glad that you were content with your room and you were able to take advantage of our amenities!! They are all great and all loved by our guests! From The R/T Shuttle, to the cocktail hour, beach chairs and towels, etc. We hope to have you stay with us again soon!

Katrine

Been to Catalina Hotel & Beach Club? Share your experiences!