“Excellent choice - great location - friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars

Catalina Hotel & Beach Club
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1732-1756 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #80 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Dublin, Ireland
“Excellent choice - great location - friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We stayed in a suite in the Dorest building and were very impressed with the size and aspect of the room for the price. The hotel is has a young, fresh feel to it and the staff extremely friendly and helpful - especially Sabrina from the front desk. We didn't eat in the restaurants but they looked nice. The rooftop pool in the Dorest is better option than the bamboo pool. Beach towels, beach loungers, house drinks (7-8pm), bike rental and airport transfer are all included. Hotel is just a couple of blocks from Oceans Drive, Lincon Road and Espaniola Way. Overall great choice for Miami Beach.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Good Afternoon CJW_TA,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!! Thank you for taking your time to share it with us! We are very glad to read that you were content with the room that you were given, as well as the service provided by Sabrina. I will let her know of your wonderful praise! Some of our guests prefer the Bamboo pool others prefer the Rooftop pool. They are both very nice and cater to different wants. The Rooftop pool is more for the sun bathers and the Bamboo pool is for the people who want to still take a dip in the pool but have more shade and relaxation. I see that you were able to take advantage of our amenities. We are very glad that you enjoyed them!
We hope to have you stay with us again soon!

Katrine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (475)
  • Finnish first
Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

My wife and I stayed for 2 nights last month, after taking the red eye from la the Catalina was only available hotel during the holiday. Doormen, courteous and total pros. Front desk clerk checked us in early and we where able to get some sleep, the whole front desk staff was so on top off things early in the am, loved it. The rooms are a bit small but hey your in SOBE the rooms are to pass out in, but they do come with a fully stocked minibar. We woke up had breakfast and Mimosas next door at the onsite restaraunt and where feeling good. Here's the great thing the ROOFTOP POOL. It's clean quiet with. Great view and comfortable, get this beds to lay on Sweet! Off to happy hour at Kung Fu Sushi, great happy hour for hotel guests great bartender Russian girl I want to say Ilene but I could be wrong anyway the whole staff was great and the Sushi was awesome, Nostrovia by the way! I would highly recommend and now that we live here in SOBE it's kind of our little hideaway hangout, everyone is so pleasant, that shows good management! One more thing props to the Pool Staff !

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Wayne H,

Thank you for taking your time to post your kind feedback on Trip Advisor, for all of our future guests to read! We are very glad to read that you had a 5 star stay with us!! :) From the moment that you arrived you were given great service by the bellman and the front desk agent. We are indeed a boutique hotel therefore our rooms are a bit smaller then your average hotel room. The breakfast at Maxine's is simply the best, and so fresh!! I love their breakfast taco's w/ a side of fresh squeezed orange juice! YUMM!!! I will let Iliana know of your kind praise! She is absolutely amazing, and provides top notch customer service!! We can't wait to have you stay with us again, hopefully soon!

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I just returned from a girls Trip to SOBE! We arrived early and the room was not ready so we left the bags with the guys at the door...came back at 4pm and the room was ready. It is a typical south beach boutique budget hotel so if you want luxury pay the luxury price and do not complain!! We took advantage of all their great amenities, cabanas by the pool, chairs at the beach, and the Awesome happy hour. The staff was very friendly and accommodating, housekeeping, front desk, concierge, bellmen, ect.
This is more of a party hotel and I will be back every time I come to SOBE to have a great time!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Good Afternoon Travelover13NY,

Your wonderful feedback is greatly appreciated!!! I am so glad to read that you had a great time in Sobe while staying with us!! We are very glad that you were content with your room and you were able to take advantage of our amenities!! They are all great and all loved by our guests! From The R/T Shuttle, to the cocktail hour, beach chairs and towels, etc. We hope to have you stay with us again soon!

Austin, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I have NEVER had such an amazing time in south beach, and I attribute that to this amazing boutique hotel! Right in the middle of it all, the Catalina was THE place to be. Starting the night at FREE happy hour and a DJ in the lobby is the only way to go, we were spoiled :)
Great food, stellar staff (especially Pedro Ortega, the worlds BEST concierge!), free beach chairs, super comfy rooms....sigh.... I can't wait to return soon! Thank you Catalina!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Good Afternoon Liz G,

Your feedback is so greatly appreciated!!! We are so glad that you had the ultimate South Beach experience while staying with us!! Our cocktail hour is great! It's the hour to mingle around and get to know your temporary neighbors while sipping on some delicious cocktails. I will definitely let Pedro know about your kind praise!! We hope to have you stay with us again soon!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here on business. Wrong place. First of all there is no parking at all. You have to pay $32 a day to park your car with the valet. When I first checked in at 5pm I waited 30 minutes. Then they wanted a personal credit card to put on file even though the room was booked by my company.
The doormen were not helpful at all and just watched me carry 4 bags to my room. My room wasn't even where I checked in it was next door in another building.
The room was DARK. I had to take the lamp shade off just to use my computer.
The coffee was $4 in the morning.
The front desk called my room at 530am by mistake and after waking me, they didn't even apologize. I woke up an went to the front desk and the girl that called me said there's nothing she could do now that she woke me up.
Overall just a pitiful example of management and how poorly a company can be run.
Just lousy

• Stayed January 2013
Good Afternoon Floridafun1172,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am very sorry that you didn't have an amazing time while staying with us! We do ask for your credit card to take a hold of $100 for incidentals. The hold is released as soon as you check out.
Do you remember the name of the bellman that did not assist you? I would love to understand why he didn't do so.
We are a 3 building hotel therefore depending on the room type you booked, you are placed in that respective building. The personality of the rooms is a bit dark yet sophisticated. We do provide extra lamps for those guests who need more illumination.
I am very sorry to read about the lady from the front desk that woke you up. Did you happen to get her name as well?

I look forward in hearing back from you!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I grew up in the area and will frequently stay on South Beach when I'm back in South Florida to escape my parents for a few nights. Had never stayed at the Catalina Hotel & Becah Club before, but there were few hotels available the weekend of the BCS National Championship game, which was being played nearby, and it was reasonably priced and in a good location on Collins Ave close to Lincoln Road.

First impressions: my husband and I arrived around 7pm and there was a line out the door to check in. The lobby felt like a cheap nightclub with ugly, oversized plastic furniture. The rooms were small (totally fine) but felt dirty, worn, and almost dorm-like. My husband remarked that the bathroom (BTW, the door handle was broken and falling off) looked like a locker room, and that this was the type of bedroom that he would not want to go over with a black-light. The hallways smelled like a combination of mildew and bleach, and I was not impressed with the stripper-esque posters in the elevators or left on the desk in the room. Notably, we had just returned from spending a week in South America, and felt LESS safe at the Catalina Hotel than we did in any city we visited in Argentina or Chile.

I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Harvard2002,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!! We apologize that there was a long wait for check in. We had a group of 13 rooms arriving that day and it so happened to be the same time that you came to check in. We had 2 front desk agents plus the front desk manager of duty assisting with the check in process. The personality of our hotel is funky and chic. We are indeed a boutique hotel therefore our rooms are a bit smaller then your average size hotel room. Our rooms are deep cleaned after each guest and inspected by a supervisor to ensure proper cleaning was done. Can you please provide me with the number to your room. I would love to have my team go up and take a look at the door handle, so that they can fix it. Thank you for your feedback!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

If you are looking for party and want to be well located, go for it. Although I was not looking for party I liked it very much. And I'm very selective and cautious regarding the cleanness of the room and bathroom. Everything was ok. Hotel is a little noisy. Walls like paper. If u don't mind it, GO ;)

• Stayed January 2013
Hello MarcolaSisley,

Thank you so much for your honest feedback. We appreciate you sharing it with us! We cater to many different kinds of guests. The party goers, the business people, the singles, couples, and everything in between. :) We are glad that you found everything to be nice and clean! We hope to see you soon!