“Great SOBE Experience!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #88 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
New York
“Great SOBE Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I just returned from a girls Trip to SOBE! We arrived early and the room was not ready so we left the bags with the guys at the door...came back at 4pm and the room was ready. It is a typical south beach boutique budget hotel so if you want luxury pay the luxury price and do not complain!! We took advantage of all their great amenities, cabanas by the pool, chairs at the beach, and the Awesome happy hour. The staff was very friendly and accommodating, housekeeping, front desk, concierge, bellmen, ect.
This is more of a party hotel and I will be back every time I come to SOBE to have a great time!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Good Afternoon Travelover13NY,

Your wonderful feedback is greatly appreciated!!! I am so glad to read that you had a great time in Sobe while staying with us!! We are very glad that you were content with your room and you were able to take advantage of our amenities!! They are all great and all loved by our guests! From The R/T Shuttle, to the cocktail hour, beach chairs and towels, etc. We hope to have you stay with us again soon!

2,363 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
Austin, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I have NEVER had such an amazing time in south beach, and I attribute that to this amazing boutique hotel! Right in the middle of it all, the Catalina was THE place to be. Starting the night at FREE happy hour and a DJ in the lobby is the only way to go, we were spoiled :)
Great food, stellar staff (especially Pedro Ortega, the worlds BEST concierge!), free beach chairs, super comfy rooms....sigh.... I can't wait to return soon! Thank you Catalina!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Good Afternoon Liz G,

Your feedback is so greatly appreciated!!! We are so glad that you had the ultimate South Beach experience while staying with us!! Our cocktail hour is great! It's the hour to mingle around and get to know your temporary neighbors while sipping on some delicious cocktails. I will definitely let Pedro know about your kind praise!! We hope to have you stay with us again soon!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Stayed here on business. Wrong place. First of all there is no parking at all. You have to pay $32 a day to park your car with the valet. When I first checked in at 5pm I waited 30 minutes. Then they wanted a personal credit card to put on file even though the room was booked by my company.
The doormen were not helpful at all and just watched me carry 4 bags to my room. My room wasn't even where I checked in it was next door in another building.
The room was DARK. I had to take the lamp shade off just to use my computer.
The coffee was $4 in the morning.
The front desk called my room at 530am by mistake and after waking me, they didn't even apologize. I woke up an went to the front desk and the girl that called me said there's nothing she could do now that she woke me up.
Overall just a pitiful example of management and how poorly a company can be run.
Just lousy

Good Afternoon Floridafun1172,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am very sorry that you didn't have an amazing time while staying with us! We do ask for your credit card to take a hold of $100 for incidentals. The hold is released as soon as you check out.
Do you remember the name of the bellman that did not assist you? I would love to understand why he didn't do so.
We are a 3 building hotel therefore depending on the room type you booked, you are placed in that respective building. The personality of the rooms is a bit dark yet sophisticated. We do provide extra lamps for those guests who need more illumination.
I am very sorry to read about the lady from the front desk that woke you up. Did you happen to get her name as well?

I look forward in hearing back from you!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I grew up in the area and will frequently stay on South Beach when I'm back in South Florida to escape my parents for a few nights. Had never stayed at the Catalina Hotel & Becah Club before, but there were few hotels available the weekend of the BCS National Championship game, which was being played nearby, and it was reasonably priced and in a good location on Collins Ave close to Lincoln Road.

First impressions: my husband and I arrived around 7pm and there was a line out the door to check in. The lobby felt like a cheap nightclub with ugly, oversized plastic furniture. The rooms were small (totally fine) but felt dirty, worn, and almost dorm-like. My husband remarked that the bathroom (BTW, the door handle was broken and falling off) looked like a locker room, and that this was the type of bedroom that he would not want to go over with a black-light. The hallways smelled like a combination of mildew and bleach, and I was not impressed with the stripper-esque posters in the elevators or left on the desk in the room. Notably, we had just returned from spending a week in South America, and felt LESS safe at the Catalina Hotel than we did in any city we visited in Argentina or Chile.

I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello Harvard2002,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!! We apologize that there was a long wait for check in. We had a group of 13 rooms arriving that day and it so happened to be the same time that you came to check in. We had 2 front desk agents plus the front desk manager of duty assisting with the check in process. The personality of our hotel is funky and chic. We are indeed a boutique hotel therefore our rooms are a bit smaller then your average size hotel room. Our rooms are deep cleaned after each guest and inspected by a supervisor to ensure proper cleaning was done. Can you please provide me with the number to your room. I would love to have my team go up and take a look at the door handle, so that they can fix it. Thank you for your feedback!

Have a great weekend!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

If you are looking for party and want to be well located, go for it. Although I was not looking for party I liked it very much. And I'm very selective and cautious regarding the cleanness of the room and bathroom. Everything was ok. Hotel is a little noisy. Walls like paper. If u don't mind it, GO ;)

Hello MarcolaSisley,

Thank you so much for your honest feedback. We appreciate you sharing it with us! We cater to many different kinds of guests. The party goers, the business people, the singles, couples, and everything in between. :) We are glad that you found everything to be nice and clean! We hope to see you soon!

Charleston, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Catalina from Jan 1st - Jan 5th. Our first night at the hotel was nothing short of a nightmare. We arrived late and checked in to room 275 which is an ajoining room our Neighbors were very loud the room was not very clean. In fact we unfortunately found a cockroach in the bathroom under the sink (I will add the picture after I post the review) My wife went down to the front desk and talked to them about the situation so Sabrina (who is a wonderful employee) moved us right away to 283 and apologized for the situation. We ate breakfast at Maxine's which is one of the two restaurants that are part of the hotel and had a great breakfast we especially enjoyed the the Italian scramble. The hotel provides free towels and lounge chairs at the beach which is a short 1.5 block walk away. They also have a very friendly gentlemen who takes care of towels and chair tickets named Wadley. We also ate at the other hotel Restaurant Kung Fu and my wife really enjoyed the honey garlic chicken. In the evening they have a happy hour with free drinks from 7-8 it includes well vodka, gin, whiskey, and rum. The bartenders here are great we had an extremely funny bartender on our last night she is very tall and we unfortunately did not get her name but she was a riot! When we checked out on Saturday we had some odd mini bar charges which the front desk representative removed from our bill however we got the impression she did not believe we did not actually use the items. If not for our first night and our check out experience we would rank the Catalina a 4.5 out of 5. The best features of the hotel are its location and staff.

Good Afternoon Atreus86,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated! I apologize but we do not have any adjoining rooms here at The Catalina Hotel. We apologize that you were not satisfied with your room, and you were very well taken care of by Sabrina. She moved you to another room which you were content with. Maxine's restaurant does have amazing breakfast! Their breakfast tacos are absolutely delicious, with a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice!! I see that you were able to take advantage of our wonderful amenities. The beach chairs and towels, cocktail hour, beach cruisers, etc. I am glad to see that the front desk was able to remove the charges for the items that you did not consume from the mini bar.

We hope to host your next visit to South Beach!!

New York, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

a group of us stayed in Catalina for the weekend, we had a good time! the hotel was nice, clean, the dj in the lobby was wonderful, he played the best music. breakfast was good, we sat outside under the shadded seating and people watched while enjoying the breakfast.
I would go back again.