“There are better hotels on South Beach” 2 of 5 stars

You added Catalina Hotel & Beach Club to your Saves list
Catalina Hotel & Beach Club
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1732-1756 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #88 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
“There are better hotels on South Beach”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

I grew up in the area and will frequently stay on South Beach when I'm back in South Florida to escape my parents for a few nights. Had never stayed at the Catalina Hotel & Becah Club before, but there were few hotels available the weekend of the BCS National Championship game, which was being played nearby, and it was reasonably priced and in a good location on Collins Ave close to Lincoln Road.

First impressions: my husband and I arrived around 7pm and there was a line out the door to check in. The lobby felt like a cheap nightclub with ugly, oversized plastic furniture. The rooms were small (totally fine) but felt dirty, worn, and almost dorm-like. My husband remarked that the bathroom (BTW, the door handle was broken and falling off) looked like a locker room, and that this was the type of bedroom that he would not want to go over with a black-light. The hallways smelled like a combination of mildew and bleach, and I was not impressed with the stripper-esque posters in the elevators or left on the desk in the room. Notably, we had just returned from spending a week in South America, and felt LESS safe at the Catalina Hotel than we did in any city we visited in Argentina or Chile.

I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Hello Harvard2002,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated!! We apologize that there was a long wait for check in. We had a group of 13 rooms arriving that day and it so happened to be the same time that you came to check in. We had 2 front desk agents plus the front desk manager of duty assisting with the check in process. The personality of our hotel is funky and chic. We are indeed a boutique hotel therefore our rooms are a bit smaller then your average size hotel room. Our rooms are deep cleaned after each guest and inspected by a supervisor to ensure proper cleaning was done. Can you please provide me with the number to your room. I would love to have my team go up and take a look at the door handle, so that they can fix it. Thank you for your feedback!

Have a great weekend!

2,364 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (348)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

If you are looking for party and want to be well located, go for it. Although I was not looking for party I liked it very much. And I'm very selective and cautious regarding the cleanness of the room and bathroom. Everything was ok. Hotel is a little noisy. Walls like paper. If u don't mind it, GO ;)

• Stayed January 2013
Hello MarcolaSisley,

Thank you so much for your honest feedback. We appreciate you sharing it with us! We cater to many different kinds of guests. The party goers, the business people, the singles, couples, and everything in between. :) We are glad that you found everything to be nice and clean! We hope to see you soon!

Kind Regards,

Charleston, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Catalina from Jan 1st - Jan 5th. Our first night at the hotel was nothing short of a nightmare. We arrived late and checked in to room 275 which is an ajoining room our Neighbors were very loud the room was not very clean. In fact we unfortunately found a cockroach in the bathroom under the sink (I will add the picture after I post the review) My wife went down to the front desk and talked to them about the situation so Sabrina (who is a wonderful employee) moved us right away to 283 and apologized for the situation. We ate breakfast at Maxine's which is one of the two restaurants that are part of the hotel and had a great breakfast we especially enjoyed the the Italian scramble. The hotel provides free towels and lounge chairs at the beach which is a short 1.5 block walk away. They also have a very friendly gentlemen who takes care of towels and chair tickets named Wadley. We also ate at the other hotel Restaurant Kung Fu and my wife really enjoyed the honey garlic chicken. In the evening they have a happy hour with free drinks from 7-8 it includes well vodka, gin, whiskey, and rum. The bartenders here are great we had an extremely funny bartender on our last night she is very tall and we unfortunately did not get her name but she was a riot! When we checked out on Saturday we had some odd mini bar charges which the front desk representative removed from our bill however we got the impression she did not believe we did not actually use the items. If not for our first night and our check out experience we would rank the Catalina a 4.5 out of 5. The best features of the hotel are its location and staff.

• Stayed January 2013
Good Afternoon Atreus86,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated! I apologize but we do not have any adjoining rooms here at The Catalina Hotel. We apologize that you were not satisfied with your room, and you were very well taken care of by Sabrina. She moved you to another room which you were content with. Maxine's restaurant does have amazing breakfast! Their breakfast tacos are absolutely delicious, with a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice!! I see that you were able to take advantage of our wonderful amenities. The beach chairs and towels, cocktail hour, beach cruisers, etc. I am glad to see that the front desk was able to remove the charges for the items that you did not consume from the mini bar.

We hope to host your next visit to South Beach!!

New York, New York, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

a group of us stayed in Catalina for the weekend, we had a good time! the hotel was nice, clean, the dj in the lobby was wonderful, he played the best music. breakfast was good, we sat outside under the shadded seating and people watched while enjoying the breakfast.
I would go back again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Miami Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

This hotel (along w/ the Chesterfield, Whitelaw, Chelsea, Hotel Shelley, Riveira South Beach & the Posh South Beach Hostel) is run by the South Beach Hotel Group. EVERYTHING on their website is false!

From the 'hourly airport shuttle with wifi' which runs every 2-3 hours & has NO wifi. To the 'free breakfast' which is a 4 oz plastic glass of OJ, coffee so watered down it appeared to be tea served w/ powerdery white stuff as 'cream', & your "choice" of toast (the nastiest white bread ever!), 'croissant' (a crescent of rubbery boxed dough, worse than any fast food joint would serve), or bagel (can't comment on, because the bagels were not ever available, as they always 'just ran out' of bagels). Plus this travesty of a breakfast was delivered by a rude waitress & took more than a half hour to arrive, although there were only three other parties being served at the time. Coffee, i was told, 'could not be served until the meal came', meaning even a cup of coffee took a half hour to be delivered, & when the table next to mine asked for a second cup, they were told they'd be charged $2/cup for a refill!

Their 'complimentary happy hour' is tacked onto your room tab as a $15/night surcharge, whether you choose to have the 'free' drinks or not. Happy hour is pushed on all guests, continuously & broadly recommended by all staff. However, only gin, vodka or rum drinks are part of their two hour 'happy hour', though this is not mentioned until after you've drunk whatever else, & your 'free happy hour' bill arrives. The three beers I had were $7/ea, so my 'free happy hour' cost me $21.

There is a hostel associated with this hotel group, & 25% premium charged for a female only dorm, over the mixed dorm rate, but men are put in the 'female only' dorm. Desk clerk insisted there were no men in the room (there were 4 of them, one in the next bed over from me). Then Andrew, the desk clerk, said that they were let in by the women in the dorm. Another lie. They were let in by the front desk, & given room & locker keys to the 'female dorm' on check in. Andrew then offered to send up security 'at once' as I was being overheard by a lobby full of guests waiting to check in. Yet another lie, as naturally no one was sent up at all.

It's not safe, my cell phone was stolen & a bag taken from my locked space. The bathrooms were always dirty & out of toilet paper. The rooms always sweltering hot. I rarely write a bad review of anyplace, but this hotel chain is exceptionally deceptive, falsely advertises services they don't offer, the clerks completely untrustworthy, & the place just not worth staying at.

Go somewhere you'll be safe & made to feel like a guest in a hotel, not prey to a predator.

Room Tip: There is no 'good' room in such a place!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Brentwood, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

Stayed here overnight after a short run down from Orlando my wife and kids loved it my oldest said its the best shower he had ever been in staff were helpful dinner was good and happy hour for residents free drink can't be bad would recommend to anyone

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We had a wonderful time in Miami and were happy we chose the Catalina again! The staff is always very friendly and helpful! It's very clean and the food is great. We love the roof top pool and couldn't believe how helpful everyone was from offering cold water, to sunscreen and fresh towels after a swim! The lounge chairs on the beach were very comfortable as well! We really can't complain at all about the stay! I have already recommended the Catalina to many friends.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Good Afternoon Julie D,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your wonderful feedback for all of our guests to read! I am very glad that you had an amazing time while staying with us! Our staff provided great service while you were here and that is what we like to hear! Which restaurant did you eat at? Maxine's or Kung Fu? The pool attendants are eager to help you and to provide everything you need to make sure that you enjoy yourself while your hanging out! We can't wait to host your next stay to South Beach!

Have a wonderful weekend!

Kind Regards,

Katrine

Been to Catalina Hotel & Beach Club? Share your experiences!