“Reception desk is horrible” 1 of 5 stars

Catalina Hotel & Beach Club
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1732-1756 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #89 of 204 Hotels in Miami Beach
Chicago, Illinois, United States
“Reception desk is horrible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I booked airport shuttle with them but at 7PM after checkout I waited and asked for status of shuttle at 7:15PM and they said they were not able to confirm it and driver is not picking up the phone. I asked that you should have told me this an hour ago. So now can you please call a taxi that accepts credit card as I am out of cash. Taxi did arrive but was not ready to accept credit card. Hotel staff just went off and never showed me his face. Manager was also irresponsible and didn't cared to respond why this happened. Fortunately, my flight was delayed and I still made on time even though I had to go to ATM to get cash and ended up paying for taxi ride, ATM fees, where there was supposed to be a "free" shuttle.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Good Afternoon Atul,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated! I am very sorry to read that you didn't have an amazing time while staying with us! We were experiencing a major issue with the shuttle. It had broken down with guests on the way to the airport. I am sure that this was the same day that you were not able to get picked up. He was on the phone calling everyone to try to figure out a solution for the guests on board to get to the airport on time so that they wouldn't miss their flight. I would love to know the last name on your reservation so that I am able to look further into this situation. I apologize greatly on our behalf for the inconveniences that you experienced.

I look forward in hearing from you!

Katrine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (376)
La Porte, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I went to the Catalina Hotel in Miami Florida Dec 14-18 and I had such a wonderful experience!! Its 3 hotels and we stayed in the Maxine Bistro. The rooms are a decent size and the location is amazing!! Right in walking distance to everything!! There were so many perks including a free happy hour at all 3 of the hotels from 7-8,free bike rentals, free beach towels and 2 free beach chairs. They had a party bus that came each night and took you (for a small fee) to one of the hottest clubs that night. Our last night we went to the rootop bar where we met the coolest bartender/person we had met the entire trip named Keith. He was very personable and made us feel so comfortable. The pool guy George was very helpful too when we needed to get things for the beach. Overall the stay was amazing, the only down side was the paying to park overnight. For the location though I guess that's the norm. Will def be coming back!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Hello Spring W,

We are very pleased that you chose to share your feedback with us! We are very glad to read that you had a wonderful experience while staying with us!! We are definitely walking distance from everything, and it's very convenient for our guests. I am very glad to read that you were able to take advantage of our wonderful amenities!! Keith is such a wonderful asset to our team! He knows how to make our guests trip memorable! And he makes really delicious cocktails! I will let both him and George know of your kind praise! We hope that we can host your stay again soon!

South Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

My wife and I just stayed at the Catalina for a weekend to meet our friends and celebrate a birthday. We loved the look and the feel of the hotel. It is in the perfect location and close to everything. We got the El Grande room and it was fantastic, especially for a South Beach hotel where you would expect small rooms. The room was big like the name would imply. The hotel was very clean, comfortable, and the staff were very friendly. Eat at the sushi bar and make sure to order the rock shrimp before heading out. Great valet team also. Well done Catalina!!!!
- Ryan

Room Tip: Get the EL Grande room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Hello SeaFox24,

Your feedback is so greatly appreciated! I am very glad to read that you thought that The Catalina is an awesome place to stay! We are glad that you chose to stay with us for your weekend getaway! Our location is great! In the heart of South Beach, yet far enough to sleep tight! Our El Grande rooms are very spacious and comfortable! The rock shrimp at Kung Fu Kitchen & Sushi is absolutely amazing! So yummmy!!! We would hope to have you stay with us again soon!

Boca Raton, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

I had such a great experience at the Catalina! Everyone who worked there was so helpful and nice. I also really enjoyed the rooftop pool!!! The food and drinks were amazing and the service was impeccable. If you like to just have a relaxed weekend, you can shop at the Lincoln Road Mall outdoor shops down the street and go to the beach or pool. OR if you like a night of partying, you can go to the best night clubs in the world on Collins Ave or Washington Ave and then go to the Catalina's 24 hour restaurant before you go to sleep. I'm going to stay here every time I go to South Beach! Love this place!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Hello Lisa,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your wonderful feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am very glad that you had such a great experience while staying with us! Our staff works really hard to give each and every guest the service that they deserve. Our rooftop pool is such a wonderful place to go up and catch some rays while sipping on a delicious cocktail! We love to hear about our returning guests! We hope to see you soon!

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

We arrived at the Catalina hotel with an infant. We had no idea this is NOT the type of place you want to bring children to. The check in was incredibly slow, the hallways dirty. And we had no idea that there would be a loud party going on until 2AM the first night (a Sunday!) and midnight the second night. The music was so loud it felt like we were blasting music in our own room! This place is perfect if you want to party, but not if you are a young family. The only nice things are the p,ace was the super friendly concierge and bar tender.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Good Afternoon TwoJsandR,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated! I am extremely sorry to read that you didn't have an amazing time while staying with us! I am very sorry that the check in process took a little longer then expected. I will let the front desk manager know about the noise that you experienced while you were with us. Do you remember the name of the Concierge and the bartender that provided excellent service?

Have a wonderful weekend!

Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Arrived there around 3 am in the morning after being behind the wheel for 9 hours. I was wrecked and i even mentioned that to the girl behind the desk. She could not care less, and her movements were slow motion, did i just not told her im absolutely exhausted? Was tempted to ask if she is doing that on purpose.
Good value? Thats what we thought until they charged us 64 dollars for parking a car for two days. On the receipt that i got for parking they mentioned that they are not responsible if my car is broken into, stolen, damaged etc etc. So all they they are responsible of is ripping people off.
Room? Brothel.
The minute i stepped int that room i thought there must be some kind of mistake. The sealing was painted red, the walls were white and in the middle of the room was big hideous red lamp that glowed horrible dull red light. Windows? Yes, if you can consider those small holes under the sealing windows. View was great too, was able to see what other guests on the other side were doing. TV was from last century and for some reason was put somewhere under the sealing as well. Very very cheap. I was sure im gonna hear people having one night stands in the next room. I felt i was gonna spend the night in brothel. Shower was cold, and only after 10 minutes when i was done the warm water started to come.
After the horrible first impression i tried to calm down, after all its cheap and it serves its point. All i need is good night sleep after that long drive. Around 8 or 9 am in the morning i heard noises coming from second floor, jumping and banging. And they continued till 11. So idea about getting a good rest was gone as well. When I went to the customer service and told them i have a long drive tomorrow again and i need my rest can you make sure it will not happen again? She just smiled me her fake smile and told me to call the security if i don't like something.
I wanted to check out straight away but my priority that day was seeing as much of Miami as possible. But still looking back to those two days in Miami i cant help thinking about that horrible Hotel and how much better the whole experience could have been somewhere else.
The rooftop pool? In the evening of the second night we decided to make the best of it and go explore the rooftop pool. they had closed it early cause it was raining outside.
Yes the location is good but believe me if I say there is loads of hotels around that location.
Never again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Good Afternoon Fenneki,

Your feedback matters and we are happy that you chose to share it with us! I am terribly sorry to read that you were not given the best service from our front desk attendant at the time of check in! Do you happen to remember her name? If not, what she looked like? In regards to parking, we charge $32 per night per car. We allow you to take the car in and out as many times in a day that you would like. Valet parking is not mandatory but we do offer a great rate. The lots and garages that are around us charge a little less- about $20 or so, but if you want to take your car out you will have to pay $20 each time. The Red ceiling and White walls are The Catalina style. We go for a more unique, funky look and the majority of our guests love it. I am sorry but I don't see that our front desk agent would tell you to call security about the issue with the noise on the second floor. Our security guards do not come in until the night time and all of our staff is well aware of that. All of our guests are here for different purposes. Some come for business, others to party and others to relax. A lot of our guests get excited and eager to explore Miami so at times they might show their excitement. We are sorry that The Catalina was not a hotel fit for you.

Have a great weekend!

Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

The hotel is centrally located a street back from the beach. I think its the more elegant part of South Miami. The staff are friendly and welcoming, the happy hour is awesome and the bar tender recommended and mixed some delightful and delicious drinks for us. There is a free airport shuttle as parking is outrageously expensive @ $32 per night. The rooms are clean and the decor is mixed art deco and modern minimalism. Love the atmosphere in the front restaurant, outdoor tables and entertainment. Free wifi also.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Barbara,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated! We are conveniently located one block from the beach and from many other things as well- Lincoln Rd, convention center, restaurants, shops, etc. I am pleased to read that you were satisfied with the service that you received from our staff! Our bartenders are always mixing up new recipes for our guests to sip on! They have some great cocktails! :) Please come back soon!

Katrine

Been to Catalina Hotel & Beach Club? Share your experiences!