“Catalina Class” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #88 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
bristol UK
“Catalina Class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

sadly we only stayed one night on a florida dolphin tour break last week but we are already planning to go back there. A fabulously chic hip and cool hotel that's exciting and vibrant. The staff are friendly and laid back, the room was not small as said in previous reviews. They should stay at one of my previous reviews hotels for small. The room was ace, white and red. Brilliant rain forest type shower. Mini bar that was described by the rep as expensive (it wasn't) and had a fab range of food and drink. The swedish bed was luxury. Absolutely loved it, We had the most expensive breakfast ever in the maxine's but it was also the best ever in my life... and we did have 4 mimosa's miss it and miss out... The hotel is three diff hotels in a line and each has it's own charm, the pool in the maxine is a bamboo cool one very pretty but the rooftop pool in the Dorset was lush! Happy hour really is happy with free drinks and shots. The barmaid with the supercool hair is so adorable. Don't forget to tip her, she deserves it. We sat outside watching southbeach walk by on hip sofas drinking free drinks and thinking we were dreaming. Loved it so much, it has such character and I will book this myself in the next year or so when we go to Miami for a more extended stay. ps can I say thankyou to all the hotels for their excellent choice of vegetarian foods. The best we found in florida.

Room Tip: we met a couple with a suite in the dorset which was nice but we actually loved our very own budget...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
catalinareviews, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, November 17, 2012
Good Evening.

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your wonderful feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our guests to read. I am so glad to read that you are already planning on coming back to visit us! :) I am glad that you found everything to be great- our staff, shower, room, the bed, etc. It's nice to sit outside and people watch. A lot of foot traffic going on around here. We hope to have you back with us soon!

Have a wonderful weekend!!!

Katrine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (382)
Irvine, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

The location is great - very close to Ocean Drive and the hotel offers rides to different parts of Collins Ave, so that's nice. However, the hotel itself was not nice at all. There's an odor to the place -- on the way to the rooms (through the Japanese restaurant). Then when you get off the elevator, there's also a smell to the halls - like old, funky smell, as though the carpets have been there for 50 years and have gone through spillage of different types. It's just gross. Then our room is decent, but the bathrooms were nasty - not the kind of place you'd go barefoot. The music from the rooftop was insanely loud. Walls are super thin - as in you can hear other people from other rooms. I suppose if you're there to party, then you wouldn't mind the noise, but we needed some quiet to rest and didn't like the thin walls. One of the days we were there our room was not cleaned at all. Just not a pleasant place to be.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
catalinareviews, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Good Afternoon,

Thank you for taking your time to post your honest feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am glad that you liked the location of the hotel. I am very sorry that you were satisfied with the hotel itself! I am sorry that you experienced an odor in the lobby. We were experiencing an issue with a mechanical part in the hotel. We tried to fix it with our in house maintenance team but we were not able to. An outside company was called and now it's fixed and everything is back to working order! We are currently working on choosing a different carpet. I would love for you to come back and give us another chance! Please let me know if you would be willing to do that!

Have a great day!

kazzrobo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stopped as part of a overnight tour from Orlando. I was very pleased with the location, although not quite on South Beach, it was easily accessable with a 5 minute walk. In fact I think the location is perfect if you want to use it as a base to go and explore. Most things are on the doorstep or within a 10 minute walk.

The rooms are basic but clean and have everything you need, I wouldn't use it as a hotel for more than a couple of nights. The bar is well stocked and they have a happy hour where certain drinks are free!!!

Would definately recommend...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Kazzrobo,

Your feedback is greatly appreciated! Although I wish you stayed longer with us, I am glad that you had a good time while you were here! We are smack in the middle of everything, walking distance if not a 5 minute cab ride. I am glad that you found our rooms to be clean and that it had everything that you needed! Which building did you decide to enjoy the cocktail hour at? We hope that you come back and stay with us a little longer! We have so many amenities that I know you would love! We hope to see you soon!

Have a great sunny day!

rahway, nj
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

The Catalina Hotel & Beach Club is a cluster of three hotels, the Maxine, the Catalina, and the Dorset. They have a GREAT setup with each hotel having its own unique and different types of restaurants. You walk right through the restaurants to get to your room! You would think this were a burden, but it's actually very quaint and gives you a sense of "belonging". The staff is SUPER friendly, though it takes them a LLOONNGGG time to get your room cleaned! Our delightful room was somewhat dark, despite having windows on 2 walls (but we faced the alleyways). We are STILL perplexed as to WHY there was an electrical outlet on the ceiling ~hhhmmm~. They have nightly FREE OPEN BAR for guests, hence, their motto. BIG UPS TO LEVANT, our wonderful bartender in the Kung Fu kitchen & sushi for his tasty libations. Oh, and the rooftop pool is a MECCA for sun worshipers! Just get there EARLY to get a day bed on the sunny side of the deck. Even BIGGER UPS to Keith, the rooftop bartender, for making it his one and sole goal to make sure we had a GOOD TIME! He always greeted us with a smile and "bro hug" and just made us feel welcomed. THANK YOU!

Happy Wednesday Willie!!

Thank you for taking your time to post your honest feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our staff to be super friendly! I apologize that your room took a little long to get cleaned! You were able to take advantage of our cocktail hour at Kung Fu Kitchen & Sushi. Levent is a wonderful bartender and all of our guests have nothing but great things to say about him! I will let him know of your kind praise! :) The rooftop pool is a mecca for sun worshipers! :) It's also a great spot to watch the sunrise or sunset! Very romantic up there at those hours! I also see that you were tended on by Keith on the rooftop. Keith loves to give "bro hugs" and make you feel very welcomed! He's wonderful!
We hope you come back soon!

Kearny, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Came here in April 2011 with friends to catch up on some r&r durin the day and do some heavy partying at night. I recommend this hotel for the younger crowd (20's-30's). Their roof top pool is amazing and the fact that you don't need to purchase anything to use the cabana is even better. I've stayed at places that require a bottle purchased or something along the lines of that nature. The beach is a block away and they give you towels and umbrellas which is usually an extra fee as well in most hotels in the area. The only downfall is having a room near the bars. It gets very loud since they open early and close late. The issue isn't the night time because we return back to the hotel in the wee hours - normally 4 or 5AM but its when we are trying to sleep at 10AM and we can't.

Room Tip: Lincoln road is a short walk and so is ocean blvd!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Good Afternoon Dan,

Thank you for posting your feedback for all of our guests to read! I am very happy that you were able to enjoy our rooftop pool. We don't make any of our guests purchase anything to use our facility! We want our guests to enjoy everything that we have to offer! I am sorry that you were put in a room next to the bar. Did you speak with the front desk to see if they were able to switch your room? If so, who did you speak with? We hope you come back to visit us sometime soon!

Have a great day!

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

So, this place for me was a very love it despite all the warts kinda stay. Our room was the craziest thing ever: the doorway is pushed in 2 ft & 3 steps up from the hallway, once you get in the ceiling is all of 6'8'' high and the bed is sunk into the floor, the sink in the bathroom is literally 12"x12" and requires maneuvering when trying to sit on the toilet, as the bathroom is super tiny. Now all that being said our room was decorated in a neo japanese style, it had a very cozy chic feeling to it, and a Jacuzzi tub of all things, also a very comfortable memory foam bed. Some of the staff at the hotel were really crap and others very nice, and they did have free bike rentals....I would for sure go back just for the funkiness of it all, and also b/c it has a prime prime location.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
catalinareviews, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Good Afternoon James,

I am so glad that you took the time to post your honest feedback for all of guests to read! I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us! I am very sorry to read about the staff not being perfect! Do you remember the names of the staff that didn't provide amazing customer service. If not, perhaps what he/ she looked like? I would love to know so that I can address it and make sure that it will never happen again! We hope to have you stay with us again soon!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

I can really suggest this hotel! Its clean and the staff is very nice and helpful. I just wanted go see miami but the concierge just gave us awesome advice on where to go and what to do which made our time in miami sooo much better. You can walk to everywhere! He explained so friendly. If you go there look out for tyrell. He will give you the very best advice. The front desk is really cool too and always friendly door openers. The rooms are super stylish! I would love to be still there. Thank you tyrell, jonathan,forest and tomic and guy for giving us a nice stay in miami beach!!

• Stayed October 2012
Good Evening,

Thank you for writing your review for all of our future guests to read! I am very glad that you had a great time while staying with us! I am glad that you found the hotel to be clean and our staff very nice and helpful! Our concierges are wonderful! They are always making sure that our guests get sent to the perfect place to have an amazing time- whatever need be. We are conveniently located in the middle of everything if not a 5 minute cab ride from it. I will let Tyrell and the rest of the mentioned staff know of your kind praise! Our staff loves to hear praises! We hope that you come back and stay with us again soon!

Katrine

Been to Catalina Hotel & Beach Club? Share your experiences!