“Bartender's motto: "It's my job to get you wasted"!” 4 of 5 stars

Catalina Hotel & Beach Club
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1732-1756 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #87 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
rahway, nj
“Bartender's motto: "It's my job to get you wasted"!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

The Catalina Hotel & Beach Club is a cluster of three hotels, the Maxine, the Catalina, and the Dorset. They have a GREAT setup with each hotel having its own unique and different types of restaurants. You walk right through the restaurants to get to your room! You would think this were a burden, but it's actually very quaint and gives you a sense of "belonging". The staff is SUPER friendly, though it takes them a LLOONNGGG time to get your room cleaned! Our delightful room was somewhat dark, despite having windows on 2 walls (but we faced the alleyways). We are STILL perplexed as to WHY there was an electrical outlet on the ceiling ~hhhmmm~. They have nightly FREE OPEN BAR for guests, hence, their motto. BIG UPS TO LEVANT, our wonderful bartender in the Kung Fu kitchen & sushi for his tasty libations. Oh, and the rooftop pool is a MECCA for sun worshipers! Just get there EARLY to get a day bed on the sunny side of the deck. Even BIGGER UPS to Keith, the rooftop bartender, for making it his one and sole goal to make sure we had a GOOD TIME! He always greeted us with a smile and "bro hug" and just made us feel welcomed. THANK YOU!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
catalinareviews, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Happy Wednesday Willie!!

Thank you for taking your time to post your honest feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and found our staff to be super friendly! I apologize that your room took a little long to get cleaned! You were able to take advantage of our cocktail hour at Kung Fu Kitchen & Sushi. Levent is a wonderful bartender and all of our guests have nothing but great things to say about him! I will let him know of your kind praise! :) The rooftop pool is a mecca for sun worshipers! :) It's also a great spot to watch the sunrise or sunset! Very romantic up there at those hours! I also see that you were tended on by Keith on the rooftop. Keith loves to give "bro hugs" and make you feel very welcomed! He's wonderful!
We hope you come back soon!

2,316 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
Kearny, New Jersey, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Came here in April 2011 with friends to catch up on some r&r durin the day and do some heavy partying at night. I recommend this hotel for the younger crowd (20's-30's). Their roof top pool is amazing and the fact that you don't need to purchase anything to use the cabana is even better. I've stayed at places that require a bottle purchased or something along the lines of that nature. The beach is a block away and they give you towels and umbrellas which is usually an extra fee as well in most hotels in the area. The only downfall is having a room near the bars. It gets very loud since they open early and close late. The issue isn't the night time because we return back to the hotel in the wee hours - normally 4 or 5AM but its when we are trying to sleep at 10AM and we can't.

Room Tip: Lincoln road is a short walk and so is ocean blvd!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Good Afternoon Dan,

Thank you for posting your feedback for all of our guests to read! I am very happy that you were able to enjoy our rooftop pool. We don't make any of our guests purchase anything to use our facility! We want our guests to enjoy everything that we have to offer! I am sorry that you were put in a room next to the bar. Did you speak with the front desk to see if they were able to switch your room? If so, who did you speak with? We hope you come back to visit us sometime soon!

Have a great day!

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

So, this place for me was a very love it despite all the warts kinda stay. Our room was the craziest thing ever: the doorway is pushed in 2 ft & 3 steps up from the hallway, once you get in the ceiling is all of 6'8'' high and the bed is sunk into the floor, the sink in the bathroom is literally 12"x12" and requires maneuvering when trying to sit on the toilet, as the bathroom is super tiny. Now all that being said our room was decorated in a neo japanese style, it had a very cozy chic feeling to it, and a Jacuzzi tub of all things, also a very comfortable memory foam bed. Some of the staff at the hotel were really crap and others very nice, and they did have free bike rentals....I would for sure go back just for the funkiness of it all, and also b/c it has a prime prime location.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
catalinareviews, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Good Afternoon James,

I am so glad that you took the time to post your honest feedback for all of guests to read! I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us! I am very sorry to read about the staff not being perfect! Do you remember the names of the staff that didn't provide amazing customer service. If not, perhaps what he/ she looked like? I would love to know so that I can address it and make sure that it will never happen again! We hope to have you stay with us again soon!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

I can really suggest this hotel! Its clean and the staff is very nice and helpful. I just wanted go see miami but the concierge just gave us awesome advice on where to go and what to do which made our time in miami sooo much better. You can walk to everywhere! He explained so friendly. If you go there look out for tyrell. He will give you the very best advice. The front desk is really cool too and always friendly door openers. The rooms are super stylish! I would love to be still there. Thank you tyrell, jonathan,forest and tomic and guy for giving us a nice stay in miami beach!!

• Stayed October 2012
Good Evening,

Thank you for writing your review for all of our future guests to read! I am very glad that you had a great time while staying with us! I am glad that you found the hotel to be clean and our staff very nice and helpful! Our concierges are wonderful! They are always making sure that our guests get sent to the perfect place to have an amazing time- whatever need be. We are conveniently located in the middle of everything if not a 5 minute cab ride from it. I will let Tyrell and the rest of the mentioned staff know of your kind praise! Our staff loves to hear praises! We hope that you come back and stay with us again soon!

Olympia, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

After a horrible experience down the road, I was left struggling to find a hotel at 11:30 PM with my FOUR year old daughter. I was quickly booked with Catalina and quickly arrived hoping to get into a room quickly. Upon arrival Carlos greeted me with warm welcome, I told him about my horrible night and he assured me would take great care of me and get me the best room he could. He held true to his words and got me into a room that was absolutely ADORABLE and away from the craziness of Miami Beach. This hotel was great, not only was it a true boutique experience but the staff here especially Carlos who works nights, was AMAZING. He truly helped save my experience in Miami Beach, he even got me help with my luggage to my room. I know if I return to Miami Beach this is EXACTLY where I will find myself staying, I would recommend this place to all my friends and family.

Room Tip: The beds are AMAZINGLY comfortable! This hotel is DEFINITELY geared towards "night on the town...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Good Evening Amanda!

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your wonderful review on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am very sorry to read that you had a horrible experience down the street from us! Carlos greeted you upon your arrival with a warm welcome! :) I am glad that we were able to accommodate you and your daughter after your experience at the previous hotel! I will let Carlos know of your wonderful praise! We hope to have you stay with us again on your next trip to South Beach!

Have an amazing afternoon!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I always look for a boutique hotel in whatever city I visit. I booked the hotel on line based on my coworker’s recommendation. It turned out to be a good one. The Catalina is a kitschy place (which makes it fun) and the staff are terrific. Every person you encounter goes out of their way to make your experience enjoyable.

The hotel is situated in the ideal location in South Beach. There are great restaurants in every direction and you can walk to cool lounges/bars at night, so there is no need for cab rides. And they provide you with free towels and chairs when you hit the beach during the day, which is across the street.

My room was very quiet at night because I requested a quieter area of the hotel. The room was very clean. I stayed for 4 nights. Both pools are small, but great. And the bartenders were very accommodating to make sure everyone had a great time.

The hotel is definitely a younger demographic (people in their late 20’s to mid-30’s), but not a spring break style free for all. All of the hotel patrons we encountered were outgoing and very respectful. For the price point, you can't beat the hotel. Considering you have the Ritz Carlton and Delano directly across the street. I will certainly stay at the Catalina next time I'm in Miami.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room that is more isolated, request it and they wil accommodate you.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

Ok so i originally booked the catalina for two nights. Even though i was coming down for a whole week i was going to stay at a friends place. Well guess what. I didnt want to leave! They gave me AMAZING rates for my room. Always were helpful, and courteous and i became friends with almost everybody.
Chloe, Tyrell, Tash, Jade, Kristen, Keith, Levent,every single one of them were the coolest people around. Great Staff.

Happy Hour is a blast.
24 restaurant for the 5am cravings.
Beds are so comfortable.
The rooftop pool is great for kicking back having a drink and mingling with other guests.

I am actually writing this review from the comfort of one of their beds right now, because i ended up missing my flight today and of course they took me back in like a orphan child looking for a home at another AMAZING rate.

I highly suggest staying here. I originally booked for two nights, i ended up staying for six.

This hotel is a party.

Room Tip: B-room was very comfortable.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Good Day Samer!

It is a pleasure to read your wonderful review that you took your time to write for all of our future guests to read! I am so very glad to read that you stayed with us instead of going to your friends house!!! :D I will let all of the mentioned staff know about your lovely praise!! All of our staff here strives to perform their best to get wonderful comments such as yours! What bar did you spend your Happy Hours at? In regards to the beds- we only use the best mattresses ever made- Tempur- Pedic beds. I am very sorry that you missed your flight but glad that you decided to spend your last hours with us!! :) We cannot wait to have you stay with us again sooner then later!

Have a great day!

Katrine

Been to Catalina Hotel & Beach Club? Share your experiences!