“Great Fun” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #87 of 201 hotels in Miami Beach
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great Fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

I frequent the Catalina so often when I travel to Miami! I had a great experience. I was there in February and had to wait a few months before I could update my review on here since I always try to rate the Catalina upon my travels (or any hotel for that matter). The weather was less than ideal, but the people at the Catalina made this experience a bright one. I had a taken both my sister and my sister's friend, and both were so pleased with their experience. My sister is in her 40's and he friend in her 50's and they loved loved loved the mixture of life and culture surrounding the Catalina. No age limit required. The bartender at the Maxine made the experience (i think it was Marcel) and Robert at the pool deck made it that just more memorable.The sales/booking team is exceptional; especially Katrine and Yvette. Looking for a quick jaunt back in June to get some sun!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
catalinareviews, Guest Relations Manager at Catalina Hotel & Beach Club, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
Good Morning,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your wonderful feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am extremely happy to hear that you, your sister and her friend had a lovely time while staying with us! This hotel definitely attracts a mix of ages and culture! I will let Robert and Yvette know of your kind praise! It was a pleasure to be able to assist you! :) We hope to have you stay with us again soon!

Have a wonderful day!

2,297 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (351)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

My feelings are mixed. One the one hand, they helped me when I checked in and there was a problem with my card. It took awhile, to be sure, but eventually they did help me out and everything was settled. But the rest of the experience was very mediocre.

The hotel is entirely TOO DOGGONE LOUD. Music pumps constantly in the lobby areas. This place is for folks who want to wake up partying and go to sleep partying. I didn't care for the layout of the hotel -- the three separate buildings were a nuisance. There are people to help you with your bags at the Catalina but not at the other two hotels. You're on your own. The hotel I stayed in ran out of towels two days in a row. Who does that?

I came with a small group of people to celebrate my birthday but no one thought to inform us -- either before we got there or after we arrived -- that a reality tv show was taping and had been at the hotel for weeks. They were intrusive and rude. We couldn't enjoy the rooftop pool because they were taping. While they were taping, the music had to be turned off. Yet, they expected us to pretend along with them and act as though we were having a great time. We were not. It was obnoxious.

The people affiliated with the reality crew were just in the way. The building I was in had one elevator that was slow as molasses and only held about 3 or 4 people. But, most of the time it was being hogged by the tv crew. Again, a huge inconvenience.

The walls are paper thin. I heard every conversation that took place in the hallway outside of my room. Annoying. The hotel needs a renovation and some redecorating. I'm in Miami. I come here for sunshine and bright sunny skies. But the room I'm in is dark and dank. With two tiny windows that face a wall. The hallways are painted a dark chocolate brown color so it feels like night time all the time. Not exactly what I think of when I think of Miami. And it was weird having a water closet (the toilet was separate from the shower area). No ice machine. You have to call the desk to get ice. And that could take as long as an hour. How ridiculous is that?

I could go on but basically... not very impressed with the hotel. I did however find several of the employees to be wonderful. Robert at the pool, Jade at the bar and Glau at the front desk. All wonderful and helpful. I never did find out where I could get the voucher for the beach chaise. It could have easily been at the concierge's desk but it wasn't and I couldn't understand why it wasn't.

I'll say this, if you truly do not care about where you sleep and if you sleep -- the music pumps all day and most of the night -- Catalina might work for you. But if you care even a little bit about your hotel experience, go somewhere else. Its just not worth the money.

Did I mention how my brother was strangely relocated to a new room shortly after he was checked in although no one called to inform him of the "problem" that was in his room. Maintenance claimed there was a leak in his room and his things had to be moved in order to keep them from getting wet or damaged. Interesting then that the new people in the room told him all of the things that he had in his bag and had left on the table after he put his luggage in the room and then left to go and get some food. In return for that breach of privacy and inconvenience, he was offered two free drink coupons.

So, if the guests happened to be thieves... I guess a free drink was supposed to make that worthwhile. Horrible experience in my opinion. I can't imagine ever coming back again.

Next Miami trip, I'll stay someplace more upscale. This environment isn't for me.

Room Tip: Be sure to let them know you don't want to be in a room over top of the bar. Too noisy.
Good Morning,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am sorry that you have mixed feelings about the hotel. I would also like to apologize about the filming of the reality T.V. show! I would love to offer you a complimentary 1 night stay to use in the future. I would love for you to come back now that the filming is over, so that you can experience The Catalina without any issues or inconveniences!! Please email me at catalinamarketing@southbeachgroup.com if you would like to take that offer. If so, I will email you a gift certificate immediately!! I will inform that mentioned staff of your kind praise! They love to hear that! :)

Thank you for being a great sport!!! We are finished filming; show airs may 29 , 8 pm on CW network. Watch your favorite South Beach hotel every week like you never left.

Have a wonderful day!!!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

There was a lot going on when we were there over this last weekend so it was VERY noisey in our room until about 5am. Then the music started back up at 7. The location is GREAT and the beds were pretty comfortable. There were 11 of us in total for a girls weekend and picked this hotel based on location but I would not stay here again. They are filming a "reality" show there and it was annoying and inconvenient. We weren't allowed to listen to music on the roof top pool when they were filming and one of the cast was the most obnoxious girl I have ever encountered in my life. Thank God she really didn't work there because this hotel would lose money based on her presence alone.

Jonathan at the front desk was very helpful and friendly. Robert who manned the roof top pool was beyond fantastic! He brought us water, let us listen to the music that the pool wanted to listen to and offered all around excellent customer service. I feel bad for him since he has to put up with the "staff" filming the reality show. And Jade is a great bartender! She is very friendly and made terrific drinks!

Overall, if you are looking for a decently priced place to stay that is close to the beach, and restaurants but aren't overly concerned with quiet, clean place (found a few bugs in our shower!) to stay that doesn't smell of musk- this is the place for you!

Room Tip: Don't book the rock star room or suite or whatever it is. You are surrounded by noise at all tim...
Good Morning Kathleen,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am sorry to read that you did not have an amazing time while staying with us! I apologize that you had a negative experience with the production crew! They are done filimng and out of here now.
I will let the mentioned staff know of your kind praise!! They love to hear great feedback about their service! :) In regards to the bugs that you encountered in the shower- they come to the cooler climate due to leaving your window open.

Thank you for all being great sports!!! We are finished filming; show airs may 29 , 8 pm on CW network. Watch your favorite South Beach hotel every week like you never left.

Have a wonderful day!

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

I stayed at the Catalina Hotel in South Beach for my bachelorette party. We had a fantastic time and enjoyed some beautiful weather up at the roof deck pool. Robert, the pool manager, was really great! He made sure we were well hydrated and comfortable. He even let us play our own music and reserved us beds everyday that we wanted them. He works very hard to ensure everyone at the pool is enjoying themselves. Jade was also a great bartender. She is very upbeat and gets everyone excited and ready to go out for the night! The rooms are fairly small but they were very clean. The mini bar items were reasonably priced (unlike hotels in Vegas where a granola bar will set you back $15). The only downfall is that they were filming a reality TV show and they would take over the pool everyday. The film crew would give us food and we got some drinks out of it but all in all the actors (yes there was nothing real about it!) were really annoying and crew was mostly in our way. It was especially annoying when we couldn't use the restroom because they were filming near it. It would have been nice to be informed before hand of this going on.

Good Morning,

Thank you so much for taking your time to post your honest feedback on Trip Advisor for all of our future guests to read! I am extremely happy to read that you had a fantastic time while staying with us! Robert and Jade are both amazing and all of our guests love them! I apologize that you had to experience the filming of the reality T.V. show taking over the pool.

Thank you for all being great sports!!! We are finished filming; show airs May 29 , 8 pm on CW network. Watch your favorite South Beach hotel every week like you never left.

Have a great day!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

Catalina was a fun hotel in terms of atmosphere and location. We were able to walk or take a short cheap cab ride to all our destination points for dining and partying. The roof top pool was great for the most part. The music was nice, the poolside beds were perfect for a lil nap in the sun and the bar had good drinks and food. It wasnt overly crowded either, which was nice. The best part of the pool experience was Robert! He stayed right on top of things and took really good care of us. Always refreshing our waters withouth us even having to ask, clearing out all the food and drink clutter that we would accumulate, playing the music we wanted, bringing us drink samples.....everything really. He really took the experience up a level. We LOVED him!

I think the consensus with our group was that we wish we would have been warned they were filming a reality tv show up there for most of the afternoon every day. They had to turn the music off and we couldnt get to the bathrooms because we couldnt walk through the "set" and there were cameras everwhere and it was just sort of a buzz kill the whole time they were filming. It was entertaining at first, then it just became annoying. Just wish we would have been warned it was going on.

One big issue we had was the beds. We had three rooms of girls and every room had a sinking bed in it. Like the matresses literally collapsed on all of us, sunk right down into the frame. That was no fun either. The rooms also had a very musty/mildewy smell to them which stuck to all my clothes! They also played loud music pretty late into the night/early morning.

SO, if you are looking for an affordable "party" place to stay that has the advantage of location (and Robert), This place is just fine!! If you are looking for a nicer place with bigger, nicer rooms that isnt so much of a party atmosphere, I wouldn't recommend this place.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

10 of my girlfriends and I stayed at the Catalina for a long girls weekend. We had a fabulous time and it was mostly because of the rooftop pool. The pool manager, Robert, was amazingly accommodating and made our time at the pool relaxing and unforgettable. From bringing us ice water and reserving our lounge area, to moving umbrellas and making sure the music was always bumping, Robert never failed to go above and beyond. We also had lots of amazing bar tenders (most notably, Jade) who made sure we were having a great time and kept the drinks coming.

The only downfall of the stay was that our rooms all smelled mildewy and the music could be heard at all hours of the night. Also, they were filming a reality show during our stay and the cast (posing to be real Catalina employees) were the most obnoxious people I've ever encountered. The show would have been much better off using the real Catalina employees. I would much prefer to watch a show starring Jade and Robert!

All in all, though, our girls trip was a success!

Room Tip: Ask not to be put anywhere close to the bar or outside patio!
BOSTON
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

we stayed at the catalina for our annual girls trip/bachelorette weekend, upon the recommendation of a coworker. being that it's a boutique hotel, and extremely affordable for the location, the rooms are what you would expect: small, and in need of some updates. but if you're willing to roll with the punches a bit, and are with a group that loves to party but can't afford 4-5 star hotel prices, i would definitely recommend this place :)

we were very impressed with the food from maxine's bistro which is in one of the three buildings, but can be ordered and delivered to anywhere on the property (including the rooftop pool).

the best part about my experience at the catalina (and i think my friends would agree) was the service we received at the rooftop pool and at the bar. our entire time at the rooftop pool, robert took SUCH good care of us... reserving the poolside beds for us, providing extra sunscreen, bringing over ice waters and towels, setting up the umbrellas if we needed some shade... pretty much anything we ever needed poolside, robert was so attentive and such a sweetheart. he even let us play our own music over the stereo system one afternoon!

our other favorite employee was jade, who was honestly the best bartender i have ever had... she rotated between the bars, so sometimes we would see her at the pool bar and other times at the bar near maxine's. she took such such good care of us, always making sure that our happy hours were very happy! you must try her rum-pum-pum-pum-punch :)

Room Tip: if you're planning to go to bed early, or you're a light sleeper, do not book the rock star...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Catalina Hotel & Beach Club? Share your experiences!