“Disgusting” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Carlton South Beach

You added The Carlton South Beach to your Saves list
The Carlton South Beach
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1433 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (Formerly Carlton Hotel)   |
Ranked #165 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
“Disgusting”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW via mobile

Stayed one night and have to say that is the most disgusting hotel I have ever stayed in, stains all over the carpets, room smelled, stains and god knows what were on the sheets. The front desk let us look at 3 rooms and we chose what we thought was the least dirty.....stay away from this place.

• Stayed January 2015

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I came here for the summer of 2014. I was extremely disappointed. My only regret for this bad review was the extremely kind older man that works there. I'm not sure his position there but he was very helpful throughout our stay.
Our room was the worst part. It was literally four white walls with a couple beds. I found it depressing, almost. The ladies at the front desk were very snappy and not helpful. There are hidden fees which add up to a good sum at departure.
Luckily we were only there two nights. The location was awesome. Right next to the main strip, and the beach. Although you can't see it from the building. The front patio and the lobby are much nicer than the rooms, don't be deceived. I would recommend to spend the extra money to stay at a nicer place, to spare your imminent regret. Enjoy Miami!

Stayed January 2015
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Extra cost when you check in... for amenities, like the disgusting pool chairs and towels that you have to ask for, stained bed linen, and maybe the coffee mugs with little packets of creamer and sugar but no coffee pot or coffee anywhere in sight. Musty room, sink stuck to wall with a boat load of caulk that is still braking away and pretty much no lighting in the room (must need to bring your own.) This is a poor excuse for a hotel.

• Stayed January 2015
Aurora, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2014

I was a little nervous when our cab driver hadn't heard of this place, and this was one of the worst hotels I've ever stayed in. We arrived around 5pm and were told our rooms were not ready yet, and check in was at 4pm. The person working looked at us like we were crazy when we asked if we could just check our bags, so we didn't have to just sit around and wait for our room to be ready. When we finally got into our room, it smelled terrible and I'm pretty sure there was urine on the walls. There were windows all over the room that were just covered up with huge nasty shades. The nozzle in the shower also fell off when I went to use it. I could hear everything outside and it was terribly annoying. We tried to avoid spending as much time in the room as possible, and I found that the bathrooms at the beach were much cleaner and nicer than at this dump.

Pay the extra money and stay somewhere else in South Beach.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2014

This hotel is basic and falling to pieces
Homeless guys sleeping on hotel varenda not welcoming staff did nothing
Staff asking for cigarettes from guests
Bathroom sink almost falling off he wall
Shower left over from the 1960's
The room was musty and fittings falling to pieces
Tthe telephone bleeped every 10 seconds
Our room was not cleaned one day by 6 PM
To ask for an ashtray to smoke outside was and impossible task for the staff to complete
Desk staff told me this place was due to be demolished not before time!
Day desk staff were more interested with their phones

Trip advisor please remove this hotel from any list

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
LONDON
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2014

I had been to Miami a few times but never stayed in south beach by the Art Deco district. This time I thought it would be good to explore the area properly so I booked at the Cavalier Hotel. When I got there a water pipe burst next door and everybody was evacuated and redirected to hotels around the area. I was sent to The Carlton which is around the corner. It is not on Ocean Drive as the Cavalier but one block away (now looking at both hotels, being away from Ocean Drive would improve your sleeping quality as Ocean Drive gets really noisy at nighttime). The lobby is quite nice and all reception staff was super friendly. Rooms are a bit old. Carpets need to be replaced and curtains are shabby. Air conditioning was noisy. My room had a walk-in wardrobe with safe, and iron and an iron board and Flat screen TV which was good. Free wireless internet was also available everywhere in the hotel and speed was good.

Overall I think it is an ok hotel for the area (keep in mind all the hotels by the art deco district look like backpacker hostels), so if you are looking for just a place to crash at night it will work as location is perfect. The hotel has a pool as well which I didn’t use as I rather go to the beach.

One extra disadvantage compared to the Cavalier was the Carlton does not have breakfast facilities. Because my breakfast was included at the Cavalier they gave me vouchers to use at FL Cafe across the road.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2014

Great location and upon entering the reception I was pleased with the appearance and standard but as soon as I walked up the stairs there was a smell of damp. Same smell in the room which was dusty and had an uninviting appearance. The window was so thin that it sounded as though it didn't even exist. We encountered a bug one day which looked like a cockroach but we hadn't opened the window the whole stay, unsure if it even did open. The room was humid and no actual extraction fan on the bathroom. Air con was good but didn't remove damp feeling. Tired looking pool which I didn't even enter once. Staff were friendly but charged high rates for parking even though we were guests. Overall disappointed.

• Stayed September 2014

Been to The Carlton South Beach? Share your experiences!