“What happens when you take all the Ritz out of the Ritz Carlton...” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Carlton South Beach

You added The Carlton South Beach to your Saves list
The Carlton South Beach
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1433 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (Formerly Carlton Hotel)   |
Ranked #163 of 204 Hotels in Miami Beach
Aurora, Illinois
“What happens when you take all the Ritz out of the Ritz Carlton...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I was a little nervous when our cab driver hadn't heard of this place, and this was one of the worst hotels I've ever stayed in. We arrived around 5pm and were told our rooms were not ready yet, and check in was at 4pm. The person working looked at us like we were crazy when we asked if we could just check our bags, so we didn't have to just sit around and wait for our room to be ready. When we finally got into our room, it smelled terrible and I'm pretty sure there was urine on the walls. There were windows all over the room that were just covered up with huge nasty shades. The nozzle in the shower also fell off when I went to use it. I could hear everything outside and it was terribly annoying. We tried to avoid spending as much time in the room as possible, and I found that the bathrooms at the beach were much cleaner and nicer than at this dump.

Pay the extra money and stay somewhere else in South Beach.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This hotel is basic and falling to pieces
Homeless guys sleeping on hotel varenda not welcoming staff did nothing
Staff asking for cigarettes from guests
Bathroom sink almost falling off he wall
Shower left over from the 1960's
The room was musty and fittings falling to pieces
Tthe telephone bleeped every 10 seconds
Our room was not cleaned one day by 6 PM
To ask for an ashtray to smoke outside was and impossible task for the staff to complete
Desk staff told me this place was due to be demolished not before time!
Day desk staff were more interested with their phones

Trip advisor please remove this hotel from any list

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
LONDON
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I had been to Miami a few times but never stayed in south beach by the Art Deco district. This time I thought it would be good to explore the area properly so I booked at the Cavalier Hotel. When I got there a water pipe burst next door and everybody was evacuated and redirected to hotels around the area. I was sent to The Carlton which is around the corner. It is not on Ocean Drive as the Cavalier but one block away (now looking at both hotels, being away from Ocean Drive would improve your sleeping quality as Ocean Drive gets really noisy at nighttime). The lobby is quite nice and all reception staff was super friendly. Rooms are a bit old. Carpets need to be replaced and curtains are shabby. Air conditioning was noisy. My room had a walk-in wardrobe with safe, and iron and an iron board and Flat screen TV which was good. Free wireless internet was also available everywhere in the hotel and speed was good.

Overall I think it is an ok hotel for the area (keep in mind all the hotels by the art deco district look like backpacker hostels), so if you are looking for just a place to crash at night it will work as location is perfect. The hotel has a pool as well which I didn’t use as I rather go to the beach.

One extra disadvantage compared to the Cavalier was the Carlton does not have breakfast facilities. Because my breakfast was included at the Cavalier they gave me vouchers to use at FL Cafe across the road.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2014

Great location and upon entering the reception I was pleased with the appearance and standard but as soon as I walked up the stairs there was a smell of damp. Same smell in the room which was dusty and had an uninviting appearance. The window was so thin that it sounded as though it didn't even exist. We encountered a bug one day which looked like a cockroach but we hadn't opened the window the whole stay, unsure if it even did open. The room was humid and no actual extraction fan on the bathroom. Air con was good but didn't remove damp feeling. Tired looking pool which I didn't even enter once. Staff were friendly but charged high rates for parking even though we were guests. Overall disappointed.

• Stayed September 2014
District Heights, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2014

I stayed at the Carlton from September 12-14. If your NOT looking for a fancy hotel, just somewhere decent to lay your head this is the place. The hotel is definitely old. The floors squeak when you walk. The doors are super old on the rooms. They look like if you put a little power to it you could bust down the door. When I walked into the room I was surprised how small it was. I had never stayed in a room so small. The room also had an odor. The view from the room was of the pool which wasn't a great view. The best thing about the room was the king size bed. I slept like a baby. I didn't have any real issues but the hotel was not what I expected. Not sure I would stay there again.

Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2014 via mobile

This is the worst place I have ever stayed, I wouldn't even call it a hotel it's more like a hostel! The rooms are far from clean the fans are full of dust along side of everything else, the room is damp and clammy And stinks!
They charge 25 dollars a day parking even the day we left at half 8 in the morning.
The pool outside is really dirty and all in all it's just a trampy place to stay

• Stayed September 2014
Helsinki, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2014

Although we had read the comments about this hotel and were prepared for worst, I'd say we were surprised.

Great location.

Room was clean, with air-conditioner. We booked from ebookers, there was written that every room has a mini-fridge, actually they don't. Just a casual room with TV.

They have a pool, it was cleaned many times a day.

For Resort fee You can get free beach/pool towels and wifi.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends

Been to The Carlton South Beach? Share your experiences!