“Nice, but as Marriott goes...Whoa” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Miami Beach Oceanfront

Save Saved
You added Courtyard Miami Beach Oceanfront to your Saves list
Courtyard Miami Beach Oceanfront
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   3925 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33140 (Oceanfront)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #63 of 200 hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“Nice, but as Marriott goes...Whoa”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013 via mobile

I travel for a living and do everything in my power to stay with Marriott, so take the next statement with a grain of salt... This is the absolute worst Marriott I have ever stayed at. And I . ve stayed here at 3925 Collins six times due to it's location.

The view is nice, interesting history of it being The Cadillac Hotel, about a 15 minute brisk walk to Ocean Drive, Tiki Bar food is good, Walgreens/CVS in quick walking distance and the valets, who dont work for Marriott and work for tips, are very attentive. That is the end of service on the hotel property.

From issues with the dry cleaning, bad attitudes on the phone, a lost parcel, faulty internet at beat, some more poor work philosophies from restaurant staff, and 3 out of 5 times- No Late Checkout - for a Platinum guest with 150 nights per year. Last stay was October, didn't even ask.

Rhobi, from the front desk, was the only bright spot on the staff. She actually seemed to care about my concerns and she always managed to calm me yet keep the "company message." Corporate should get her out of there and promote her before it's too late. Then let this property be a Starwood managed property, like so many others.

I'll be down in South Beach next week but decided to go off brand and stay on Ocean Drive with the crazies. Rather spend the ten bucks on cabs to get to work. Courtyard South Beach was a bit pricey. Very sad.

• Stayed October 2012
Joseph L, General Manager at Courtyard Miami Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear TravelSox Twitter,

Thank You for staying with us again during your visit to Miami Beach. I truly apologize that we were not able to meet expectations during your visit. I will be sure to mention your feedback to Rhoby. We strive to meet every guests desire for a late checkout, however becuase of our high occupancy it may be challenging at times. I do not have much detail on the dry cleaning and internet, so i would welcome a more detailed conversation regarding both (305-537-3383). The valet team is great and actually does work with the hotel oeprations team, I will be sure to pass along your comments. I hope you give us another chance.

Best Regards,

1,007 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
New Yokrk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Last year I was coming back from the Dominican Republic and my flight was cancelled due to hurricane Sandy. My next steps were crucial as I wanted to find a hotel whre I could just relax. I found the phone number to the Courtyard Miami Beach Oceanfront and was amazed at the service! When I arrived the service of the gentlemen who greeted you and offered to take your bags was exceptional. The young lady at the front desk was attentive and personable. The hotel was clean and had a restaurant (Carraba's) which was fantastic. I'm traveling to Miami again this month...and I have already booked my room with Courtyard Miami Beach Oceanfront!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Joseph L, General Manager at Courtyard Miami Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear Teon j,

Thank You for staying with us, we realize their are manu options in Miami Beach and we are very appreciative you chose us. I will be sure to pass along your comments to the service team and I will commend them on their efforts. We hope to see you back in Miami Beach.

Best Regards,

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

I gotta say we were quite happy to go to Miami, especially when it's so darn cold here in New York. Even though I have read my share of good reviews about this place, my exprience and my friends expriences were not (they will write their review shortly)! Well upon arriving to the airport I called the hotel and spoke to a young lady who told me it was a $20 short cab ride to the hotel, she was very wrong I was charged $35 which is nothing to me as I ride taxis all the time back at home; but they need to train their staff better on their surroundings and directions (especially when guest are coming from all over the world). When we got there the Valet team was in disarray with a huge line of cars as if we were back in the(inspecting your car days wtf). We decided to get off at the curb and walk up the packed ramp luggage in tow. Now if that did'nt suck; as we walked up the ramp we see the cashier guy looking at us but not moving so we continue up the stairs to go in the building and still no help, till we get to the entrance where a young lady by the name Roby had the door opened waiting on guest and helped us right in she was very helpful and friendly. Upon entering I felt a little better when I saw how pretty the lobby was but as I looked around I saw most of the other employees were talking amungst themselves and even being a little friendly for my taste! I was feeling a little stressed so I went to their Starbucks kiosk (another wierd encounter) because there were two young men behind the counter acting pretty friendly with eachother so much it made me uncomfortable; I managed to get the name of one employee(Ferndez Ortiz) as the other employee took off when he saw my face of discomfort. I gotta say my check in proccess was very refreshing as a young lady treated me very nicely and gave me tips on what me and my friends can do for fun in the area. Thank god when I got to my room it was a nice room with balcony facing the ocean. The only thing wrong with the room was that it was very dusty but we did not want to ask for help, we just wanted to start relaxing. We decided not to have our room serviced due to the fact a young lady barged in our room at 7am thinking this room was unoccupied(light brown skin long black hair and was not wearing a uniform) I was half asleep so I didn't get her name. After that rude awakening we decided to put our do not disturb sign for the rest of our stay and just ask for our amenities ourselves. The rest of our 3 day stay was pretty smooth with the exception of a couple things. Carrabas was great, the tiki was cool and the beach chair access was awesome but I must say I will not be returning to this hotel untill their employees are better trained, Valet is properly structured, management is changed and those fresh employees are replaced! I have noticed that this hotel carters to business people and family with kids that type of behavior by employees is unexceptable and does not look proper!

Room Tip: nice penthouse terrace
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Joseph L, General Manager at Courtyard Miami Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Carra d,

Thank You for choosing our property for your trip to Miami Beach. I have reviewed your comment regarding the taxi fare with the front desk; all desk service memebers are aware that the charge from the airport is a flat rate. I apologize as our valet team did not assist with your luggage as you entered the hotel. Unfortuantely our valet entrance may get backed up if 3 to 4 cars arrive at once, but not assisting a guest is inexcusable. I have also addressed your comments with the other members of the front desk. I apologize if you felt uncomfortable in any way. Lastly, I wish we could have spoken back in January when you were here especially if someone had attempted to enter your room. Our housekeeping team does not start until 830am and we take security very seriously. Finally, I will address your comments with the team here on property. If you would like to speak further, I can be reached at 305-538-3373.

Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

Went to a conference at The Fontainebleau in January, and the Courtyard Marriott Oceanfront proved to be a good alternative.

Pluses:

1. Nice, clean, comfortable rooms
2. Friendly, helpful desk staff
3. Backs up to the Miami Beach boardwalk and beach
4. Short walk to the Fontainebleau
5. Complimentary coffee in room and lobby
6. Quick breakfast option at Starbucks or more extensive buffet at Carraba's attached to hotel

Negatives:

1. Difficult to find front door - you see Courtyard Marriott sign way above the building, but the front door is actually the Hotel Cadillac next door. A bit confusing - especially when arriving at night.
2. Carraba's restaurant, bar and outdoor beach bar all close at 10pm - inconvenient for guests who want to relax later in the evening - no other options nearby
3. Not many dinner options nearby - other than Carraba's - everything is a $10 or $12 cab ride down the heart of Miami Beach.
4. Construction - though it didn't bother me - of new hotel wing blocks the "ocean front" view from some rooms.

Overall, I recommend this hotel and would stay here again.

Room Tip: Oceanfront view may not mean that if you get one on a low floor behind the new wing being built. Th...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear pgraner,

Thank You for choosing our property while at your conference. I hope you had a great stay in Miami Beach. We appreciate your feedback and will use your comments to further enhance our service strategy. I do apologize as we should have been more helpful in finding dinner options nearby as their are more opitons walking distance than just Carrabba's. I hope we have the pleasure of hosting you again. I will review your comments with the service team as we strive to perfect service.

Mount Laurel, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Great location, great tiki bar, on the beach, but under massive construction. Unless you are getting a fantastic deal and do not mind the hammering and closed pool, I would stay clear of this property until the fall, 2013.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Joseph L, General Manager at Courtyard Miami Beach Oceanfront, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear Mark S,

Thank You for choosing our beautiful historic hotel. We do hope you return once work is completed on our new oceanfront tower featuring great new amenities. We are offering all guests complimentary beach rentals as well as the use of a fabulous pool off property during this project. The hotel still features a great location, great staff and great amenities. Thank You again for the feedback

Collegeville, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

I booked my room for business on line through Marriott. I was well aware of the pool and exterior renovations, but it's location is easy to get to and I had stayed here before.

I was greeted by the front desk and informed of the construction, pool closure and the extra accommodations they had if you wanted the pool at another location. I was able to participate in a bonus drawing and received 200 extra Marriott rewards points.

My single king room overlooked Collins but was not loud. I did think the room was smaller than usual. Large spacious bathroom with new shower and lots o counter space. Room was very clean and the linens were fresh!

Internet was free and was a good connection.

Right now you have to walk to the beach by exiting the front of the building and the hotel provided free beach chairs and umbrellas. The guys working the chairs were very nice.

There is a liquor store next to the hotel which is very convient as well as a deli across the street and a Starbucks inside the hotel that offers discounts to guests.

My biggest disappointment is the fact that I was here on business but because of the Valentines holiday I had to pay double for my room. Considering the construction and the fact that I was here on business that really bothered me. Valet also took a very long time with the car almost 45 minutes. I choose a cab one evening.

Would I stay here again? Sure I look froward to getting the pool back and to the new rooms.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear DWS 13433,

I am excited that you would return to the property. We are in the midst of completing the construction of a new oceanfront tower which will greatly expand hotel amenties. I apologize for the time it took to retrieve your vehicle, since our parking is off-site we make every attempt to expedite the delivery of each vehicle. I look forward to hosting you in the future as you enjoy our new product with great new amenities.

Hartford, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

This hotel is a renovated older hotel (Cadillac). The lobby was very loud with music and no sound deadening carpeting. Our room faced the ocean, however, we basically looked out at the construction site with nothing but concrete and 2 x 4's. Our friends had a room #606 and complained and were compensated by moving them to a huge suite. We didn't request to be moved. We had a very small balcony and we actually could see the ocean and pool from our room. (photo included) We stayed 2 nights and since it was the weekend, we didn't hear any noise from the construction, however, when we checked in on Friday the construction workers were still up on the building so we couldn't leave our curtains open until they were gone for the day. The tiki bar was good for happy hour and apps. Carrabas is attached to the hotel and offers breakfast. Dinner at Carrabas was very good. There is a liquor store right across the street. There is no where to park a car and if you do have them valet, its extremely expensive. Something like $35. per day.

Room Tip: Be sure to request a higher number room (ex. __12 __24 etc) The lower numbers have a view of th...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Robin 9250,

I appreciate the candid feedback and apologize for any noise you heard from the construction. As you witnessed we are beautifying our historic hotel into an even more splendid property. I am glad you chose our hotel and when the work is completed I hope you return. We will share your comments amongst the team as we strive to improve service each day.

Joseph LaFleur

Been to Courtyard Miami Beach Oceanfront? Share your experiences!