“Nice place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #86 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Birmingham, Alabama
“Nice place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

We stayed in the Astor during our visit to Miami Beach in July. The hotel seemed small in the website but was very nice. The rooms were spacious and clean. Loved the lobby decor and new Italian restaurant. This is a great hotel to stay and also a great location.

Room Tip: be ready for the beatiful beaches in Miami Beach
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Lta791, Manager at Hotel Astor, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Dear Leonard, We appreciate you taking the time to review the Astor hotel. We are very happy to hear the positive feedback about the restaurant and rooms. Looking forward to see you again during your future trips. Best Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Columbus, Ohio, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

I enjoyed a very pleasant stay at the Astor Hotel. Visitors should expect to park at a nearby parking garage or have your vehicle valeted and there isn't a pool or patio, but the beach is within 2 blocks and the service and accommodations were wonderful. I stayed for business purposes and would recommend this venue to anyone looking for an economical choice without compromising on quality.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Lta791, Manager at Hotel Astor, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Dear Thieser. we do appreciate your positive feedback and we are happy to hear that you liked the service and the accommodations. We are constantly working hard to improve the quality of the hotel and the service. Best Regards
New Orleans, Louisiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

I booked my hotel a month in advace and when I arrived at the hotel at 2pm was told that I would have wait until 4. That was ok because it was policy and procedure. At 4 I went to the counter for the agent to explain to me that there was only a King room for a guest of 5 including a child. I was told that there were plumbing issues and that the plumbers were working on it and I told them I was willing to wait, then was told that it wouldn't be until the next day. I explained that it would not work we both were calm during this process and I asked for a refund and was told that only management will be allowed to refund once again I was willing to wait ( I'm very patient), then was told the manager would not be in. So I stepped to the side and called the police because policy states that if I don't check in at a certain time I would be charged fully w/o a refund. The police arrived and also complimented me on how calm I was; by the time they got there the lobby was now filled with guest waiting for a room. This hotel only has 15 rooms and rooms are sold thru expedia, trip advisor, booking, directly with hotel, and other 3rd party cites so its understandable why they are always overbooked. There is a sister hotel across the street that was also overbooked but they assured me that I would have a room there, I went there to find other guest complaining about no water, lights etc. and notice that the same manager I was told was out for that day was across the street. He did not want to give my refund, after the police talked with them I received my refund at 7:15pm. I worked for a independently hotel and I know all about the excuses they come up with to have an excuse, independently hotels sells room like the airlines sells seats. They often overbook with the thought that people wouldn't show up and profit is made. Don't stay here unless its in the middle of the week. I can say so much but my mind is moving faster than my hands.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Lta791, Manager at Hotel Astor, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
We sincerely apologize for your experience and we are looking forward to have another chance and show you the real Astor hotel experience. I apologize for the confusion but we did have 2 rooms in hold for you in different hotels same category same room type. There was a overbooking made by a travel agent and we went our way out to correct travel agent mistake and relocate guests and be responsible but unfortunately in situations like this is very difficult to make everyone happy. The manager was 4 hours away in a business meeting but the manager in duty came within 15-20 minutes to refund the stay. I would like to have the chance to speak with you directly about your stay and hope that you will contact me at your convenience.
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Pros:

1) 3 blocks from beach
2) Free beach towels and chairs
3) AWESOME air conditioning

Cons:
1) Poor Management - took 2 hours to check in. People (thankfully not us) did not get confirmed and paid for room reservations. No advance notice to these people who called the police because the hotel was not refunding their money on the spot.
2) No security/no one at desk - at 3 AM, drunk guests roaming the halls and knocking on doors
3) Security did not do anything even on confirming the EXTREMELY strong stench of marijuana wafting down the hallway. They knocked on door and the guy opened it and said he would open the windows.
4) No maid service - how is this a hotel ?
5) The faucets in the bathroom were only loosely coupled to the wall - they came off.
6) No pool - but there is a pool fee - to use the pool at a sister hotel which is terrible

All in all, if you are single or if your expectations are very low - then stay here. Else do not.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Lta791, Manager at Hotel Astor, responded to this review, July 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thanks for taking a moment to share your feedback after your recent stay. We apologize about the long wait at the check in but sometimes there are situations and errors made by booking agents and not always is the hotel fault. We do have a full maid service and a turn down service until 11Pm. I would like the opportunity to speak with you directly in regards to the issues that you experienced during your stay with us, as we would like to have you back again during your future trips. Feel free to contact us during your future stay in South Beach

Regards
Kansas City, KS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

We stayed at Hotel Astor 2 nights on a May Weekend. The hotel was clean. The staff was friendly and helpful. The recommendations for dinner and a club were wonderful. You are 2 blocks from the beach. The rooms and bathroom were spacious. The only problems was the rooms' doors are noisy when they shut. I guess if you are planning to party hard you won't notice the door noise when you sleep. We did not need a car. We walked, hired a cab or took a bus. We rented segways for 2 hours to go all over SOBE. Even took the bus to Downtown Miami. $2 each way. There is a French bakery across the street for Breakfast. We ate dinner one night at Grazie which is two blocks away. Yummy.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012 via mobile

Great hotel, I always stay here when I visit SOBE. This time I bought a guy friend with me and he loved it as well. We had a great time nd walked to everything.

• Stayed July 2012
Carrollton, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

A family with a 2yrs old stayed for 8 days in this hotel this May. Before we go we were skeptical because of some negative reviews. However, never judge too earlier until you tried it! The location of the hotel is for sure the best, 5 minutes to everywhere, you don't need to drive a car becasue it will be too much hassle. The room service is very good and on time, don't know why people said it doens't have maid service. during the week days the hotel is very quiet and on weekend nights it will be kind of noisy, think about the location it is understandable.The internet is good and looked no problem for us, fast and stable. Jordge checked us in and he is a very nice person and helped us to update our room to suite.He recommended us many excursions near by,and tell you the truth that the price is very resaonable because we did the research in many travel agencies in beach area. the hot water in the bathroom need to be improve indeed, however it will not affect our stay for such a hot weather. I recommend this hotel to other people and it worth the money to stay in Souch Beach.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Astor? Share your experiences!