“So bad” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York City, New York
“So bad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

This hotel is probably one of the worst hotels I've ever been to. Don't get me wrong, the rooms are nice, tiny but nice but the service sucks. The lady at the front desk was rude and messy. She obviously did not want to be working. The T.V in the room was not working, houekeeping decided they wanted to only clean the rooms halfway and threw the towels wherever they felt like. The so called "breakfast" consisted of cereals and bread. I thought "Ok at least there's continental breakfast" NOPE! I was wrong. They wanted us to pay for our "luxurious fruit loops." The rooms were not sound proof, so you could hear EVERYTHING! Every conversation and every step outside of the door (That's a lot of heels considering it's located in South Beach) Once again, one of the worst hotels I've stayed in.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Matthew C, General Manager at Clifton South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
emily u- Thank you for your review and we are happy that you liked the hotel and we apologize that our staff failed to exceed your expectations our staff usually is a shining star on our guests stay

263 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

We stayed 10 nights at Clifton Hotel in December 2012. The room was clean and they tyed it up every day. Before we got our room key, they also checked if everything is ok.

The stuff was very helpfull, especially Michelle helped us in all manners.

For us the only negativ point, but in our opinion it's an important one which the hotel should improve is, that it's really noisy.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Scibby13- Thank you for the great review, unfortunately depending on your neighbors the noise from other rooms does travel however we try to address any noise issues immediately. Than you again for choosing the Clifton for your extended stay
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I have a couple good things about this hotel, but more negatives. Monica (the concierge) was super friendly and helpful. She went out of her way to arrange transportation for us to the airport and helped us with recommendations for dinner. I wish we had more time to take one of the many trips that she talked very highly of.

The hotel on the otherhand is another story. I found the guest agents very unprofessional. My bed sheets were never changed for 4 nights that I stayed there, no soap was replenished, the floor was never vacuummed during our stay. When I walked down the stairs to check out I could tell the guest service agent was on the computer looking at a gym shoe website and I was standing in front of him for a good 30 seconds until I spoke up. I guess looking at shoes was more important than helping the guests. Many times when coming and going I was never greeted and the staff seem to care more about being on their cell phones than with the guests.

The rooms are very simplistic and simple, which make them cute. On the other hand the sound inside the rooms is terrible. Every morning I was woken up hearing conversations from the rooms on both sides of me and everything that was going on in the hallway. The walls must be paper thin. Hearing hallway noise is one thing, but when it comes to hearing the entire conversation of the room next to me about complaining about the service and the high rate they paid for their room at 7am is another story.

The hotel states that the "Resort Fee" of $12.50 per day gives you access to beach towels and chairs. Well that is not really true. The first time I wanted a beach towel I had to walk to their sister property to obtain one and the second time, there was no beach towels for 2.5 hours and I once again had to walk to their sister property to obtain one and both times, beach chairs were never available at either property.

Would I come here again? NO!!! I would go to another place. There are many hotels in South Beach or Miami Beach and I would look for another one next time. I would only come back so I could see Monica as she was awesome, friendly and funny. Her services would be better at another hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
CleaningBoy-Thank you for your review, I apologize that the Clifton did not exceed your expectations, typically we receive great comments regarding our cleanliness and our staff. We would much like the opportunity to correct your feelings of the Clifton, please contact me directly if ever returning to South Beach
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Our stay at the Clifton in late December 2012 was pleasant. The location is great to access the beach and restaurants. The rooms are basic with interesting lighting (colored!) Most importantly, the staff was welcoming and helpful - especially Michellle. She was always cheerful and straightforward with her recommendations and assistance - much appreciated and made for a really nice stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Unbeatable price/performance for this location just one block from Ocean Drive! Nicely designed rooms and very clean! Stayed with 4 adults in Eco-Smart Double Room! 50m from public parking (20$ per night)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Lusby, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I agree with the previous reviews, Staff is excellent, Matt and Maria were extremely helpful and accommodating to all of my numerous needs and questions. The rooms are nice and clean, a bit small but nicely done. The staff make the difference at every hotel and these two are the best I have come across in awhile!

Room Tip: I stayed in 147 and did not have any noise issues that I read in other reviews.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

My should be "worse than terrible" as an option!

This hotel is not recommended if you expect quality customer service. In fact, I cant remember another time where I was met with a greater degree of incompetence. I was billed for 4 days, when I was only there for 2, PLUS a security deposit which was not returned with any degree of haste. The unauthorized charge showed up on my banking statement, yet ALL of the recepts that I signed and authorized did not reflect the amount that I was actually billed.

If there is a billing dispute between this merchant, you, and your bank. DO NOT expect that this property management will be accessible, will return call you or your banking institution on your behalf in a timely manner. In fact, dont expect this property to assist you in correcting any billing errors of any kind. The business couldnt even extend the professional courtesy of a phone call, in fact, the general manager (after answering the phone after countless calls to the property) made it seem like she was doing me a favor by speaking to me, and calling my bank "on my behalf". (which she never did)

Just kiss your money good-bye with out a shred of customer care.
Some merchants are very good at swindling you out of your money without apology.

The room while cozy and very beach accessible, is not worth the headache.
If you want to fight with the property management after being charged without signature approval, then this is the place for you..

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Clifton South Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!