“Good location but below expectation” 3 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1343 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #129 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Brooklyn, New York
“Good location but below expectation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

I was attracted to this hotel because it was marketed as "green" and yes, the AC did shut down when you opened the windows, the showers were great with cute corn-made containers for shampoo and conditioner, etc. BUT the place seemed a tad rundown. The carpets weren't clean ( I know because I walked out of the bathroom barefoot, right after showering, and after few minutes the soles of my feet were black from the dirt and dust on the carpet). There is no swimming pool - you can go next door to their sister hotel. They play loud music until 1 AM or so so if you're staying just above the reception area (this is the second time it has happened to me in Miami) then you're forced to listen to the young crowd pre-gaming at the bar to the beats of house/techno music. That was my biggest complaint and whenever I called the front desk to turn the music down they were always polite but the music didn't really stop until the crowd got picked up by a black limo to go party someplace else :)

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Matthew C, General Manager at Clifton South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Femilka, Thank you for your 3 star review! Thank you for mentioning we are Green Hotel and we are glad you noticed some of the Green elements during your stay. As you mentioned the Lounge at the Clifton is popular among a majority of our guests before they go out for the evening, I apologize the noise was a bit to much and you are correct the rooms closest to the lounge do hear the people more than a room farther away. I would like an opportunity to increase your 3 star review and make it a 5 star with a room farther away from the lounge. If ever back in SOBE please contact me directly so that I can ensure you an excellent stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

I booked here for a week with my GF due to the rate and location and the reviews were so/so but the pictures look interesting so I booked it. Have to say we are both very happy with our choice we are still here and wanted to leave a review before we left just in case we forgot when we get back. This hotel has a spa type lobby (small and clean lines) with a small bar, the rooms are good size and have an asian feel to them. I haven't had any noise issues and all of the staff have been perfect. for us for our vacation the Clifton has been perfect.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room at checkin
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Justin J, Thank you for the Amazing 5 star review! We are so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you again!
Wellington, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Stayed in room # 145 and smell molding and ask for different room. Didn't have any room for us.
In morning hardly any water running. Due I have asthma problem and can really smell that molding. Room small too and bed as low to the ground. Also a/c blowing in your face all night and no adjustment to adjust.

Room Tip: Should have cancel the room and go some where else
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Matthew C, General Manager at Clifton South Beach Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
mysobriety- I appreciate all of our reviews as they help to improve our service but I believe you may be reviewing the wrong property. We do not have any issues with mold or water pressure as our property was completely renovated in 2010
Venice, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I stayed at Clifton just two night...enough to say that i found an excellent hotel staff!! I'm from italy and i work in hotels so i am that kind of guest hard to please!!! I arrived late in the evening and Mila made a careful c/in...the day after i met Andrew...very professional in problem solving, friendly and helpful...and Michelle (she has been courteous and helpful too!!!) Javier has been professional and careful trying to resolve some inconveniences.
Honestly i can say that i'd stay at this hotel again...it's a central hotel, near the beach and Ocean Drive so you can enjoy the sun in the morning and the nightlife...and that's Miami!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
italiana701- Thank you for the Great review! I am glad our staff was so responsive to your requests and you had an excellent time in Miami. Please come back to see us next time.
Glen Burnie, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

I've been to South Beach a hand full of times and ablsolutely love it there! When I'm there I like to spend my days at the beach and nights out, so to be economical I try to spend less on a room. I've stayed at a different hotel every time, and I can honestly say I'd stay at Clfton South Beach again. It was a great location, reasonably priced, the room was clean, and the staff was very friendly and helpful.The regular rooms are on the small size for three or more people (they do have suites which offer more space), but we managed alright. I didn't really use the wifi, but my travel companions noticed it didn't work at the same time everyday. I'd definitey recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Natalie H- Thanks for the Great review and recommendation! We're glad we were able to exceed your expectations and we hope to be your hotel of choice in the future when in SOBE.
south Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

A Groupon deal nudged me into trying the Clifton as a local weekend-night getaway with my wife. We were just driving up from our home some 45 minutes away in SW Miami-Dade County. We rarely go to the beach and it would provide simply a nice change of scenery.

I was first impressed by speaking with Andrew on a couple of calls when I needed to clarify some details. He gave courteous, personable, and professional responses. Among other things, I learned that the hotel offers valet parking for $27/day with in-out access. Since we'd just park the car and walk the area, we used a municipal garage next door for $20/day (the outdated city website said $15/day).

Immediately upon entering the lobby, I found it a bit odd to see the bar directly in front, and the small check-in area only far over to the left, but that's trivial. More importantly, it all looks clean, well-kept, and fresh. Michelle very efficiently and warmly checked us in and gladly accommodated our request for a second floor room, as far as possible from the bar area (as we'd read on other reviews that later at night it can get fairly loud; Michelle acknowledged that sometimes guests may indulge in some "exuberant drinking").

The first impression of the hallway: elegant wooden doors and number plates, deflected ceiling lights—presumably fiber optics, as they gently changed color. Entering our room was equally impressive: with curtains fully closed, a string of lights concealed in the headboard area gave a reddish cast to the room. Nice initial hip factor, sure, but we promptly turned them off and opened the shades for daylight. That revealed a view of only the hotel next to us, about maybe eight feet away. No disappointment; we knew we were a block away from the beach and did not expect a beach view.

I need a cool temperature setting. The AC was very effective. And using the attractive ceiling fan, I could leave the AC a couple of degrees higher than usual, saving energy.

The low-lying bed was comfortable; furnishings were neatly sparse but quite adequate, though you may struggle a bit for storage space if you have more than 3-4 pieces of luggage. (Each of us needed only our overnight bags; I just worked out of mine at bedside and literally didn't even look into the closet space). I was pleasantly surprised to find the bathroom's glass-enclosed shower with a rainfall head.

The only possible drawback we faced: conversation from the adjoining rooms. Those guests' very natural conversational level was quite audible through evidently thin walls. Since they weren't yelling or hooting, we didn't ask the front desk for help; we trusted that they'd probably go out for the beach later in the evening, and our only concern then might be noise when they might return at who-knows-when in the morning. The hotel IS only a block away from Ocean Drive, after all, and partying is what draws much of the clientele here.

To our relief, they did leave somewhere about nineish that evening. And we didn't hear them again until we were already up, about nineish Sunday morning. Likewise, if there was loud music and a rowdy crowd in the downstairs bar area, we never heard it from upstairs. But keep all this in mind in peace and quiet are priorities for you. (And the same probably applies to pretty much any hotel in the area.)

Guests are free to use the pool at the Carlton (not "Ritz" Carlton) one block away. We didn't go, so I can't comment on it.

The "Continental Breakfast" included offered a bagel or oatmeal, fruit of the day, and your choice of coffee, tea, or juice. Minimal.

A couple of hours later, Mila (if I recall her name correctly) provided just as friendly and efficient a check-out as Michelle had provided for our arrival.

Overall impression? Let me make it clear that I don't know if the Clifton has undergone a renovation of whatever sort in whatever recent time frame. But since my wife has lately gotten me watching HGTV's "Hotel Impossible," in which decaying and crappy hotels get a good start on a makeover, it did occur to me: The Clifton *today* looks as sharp and inviting as many of the renovations spotlighted on "Hotel Impossible."

If you're coming to Miami on vacation, and especially wanting to spend some time partying on SoBe, I gladly recommend The Clifton. Maybe just bring earplugs or a white noise machine—just in case.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, ask for a room far away from the lobby. The bar there can get rowdy in late eveni...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
cbrysofla- Thank you very much for your Great review. This was a very informative review and I believe other travelers will find your review very helpful.
Chicago, IL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Location was good, beds were comfortable, and bathroom was nice. I wasn't surprised about the resort fee or small rooms, since I had read about them in other reviews. The reason for my low rating is a long list of minor inconveniences that were met mostly by a shrug of the shoulders from the staff.

Many tv stations didn't work. It was impossible to watch any news. Was told on both nights that staff would "look into it" but there was no follow up. Resort fee claims to cover things like bottled water, but we only got bottled water one day. Minibars were not stocked, and bar was not open in the afternoon so there was no place to get a drink or soft drink.

There were no top sheets on our beds, just stained bedspreads. I had to go out to the lobby and wait for 10 minutes for staff to get sheets for me. There was a greasy, sticky film on the nightstand, and something spilled the front of the non-functioning fridge.

There was a loud crowd in the bar until about midnight, and the noise was pretty bad for the rooms near the lobby. Walls are also very thin. Guests were yelling and banging around in the hallways, and people were urinating and vomiting in the street when I walked out in the morning.

Staff were not very helpful with fielding questions about local bars and restaurants.

The resort fee was refunded when I checked out - at least there was that. As one of the other reviewers mentioned, it depends what you're looking for. This hotel represents itself as as a responsible green boutique property, but it seems more like an upscale hostel.

Tips: parking garage around corner is $15 for 24 hours. There's also a Coke machine there too - which is helpful since there's not a way to get a beverage in the hotel unless the bar is open.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
nobo- Thank you for your review, I apologize for the inconveniences during your stay, the staff is typically one of the first things to be complimented by our reviewers and I am sorry they did not address your concerns more actively. Our rooms are actually larger than most Boutique properties in South Beach but you are correct they are not like the size of a room in an airport Marriott for example but we are quite far from a hostel. I appreciate your comments.

Been to Clifton South Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!