“Good value on Ocean drive” 4 of 5 stars

Century Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   140 Ocean Dr, Miami Beach, FL 33139 (South Pointe)   |
Ranked #134 of 201 hotels in Miami Beach
Up North
“Good value on Ocean drive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

We have stayed at many hotels on Ocean drive, and around Miami Beach, but this was the first time at the Century. I was a bit hesitant after reading some of the reviews, but we got a very good rate (for south beach) on a busy weekend through Expedia, so decided to give it a go.

We stayed 3 nights, and I am happy to report the hotel met or exceeded our expectations. The hotel has only two floors (no elevator), and our room was all the way in the back on the first floor, and had an extra window looking out back at a parking lot. It was very quiet at all times. The decor was spare but quite clean and the bathroom updated, tight but functional. The bed was a queen size with medium-firm mattress, and there was a minimal free breakfast and wifi included (good signal at back of hotel). We managed to find parking at a metered spot in the Pier Park lot about half a block south, and for the rest of the stay left our car at the 7 Street parking garage for $20/day.

The staff is very friendly and helpful, starting with the Italian manager who greeted us and helped carry the luggage. You can get beach towels at the desk. The room also had a desk with two chairs and a mini-fridge. There was a small closet. A chest of drawers would have been useful but the room size probably doesn't allow for one. Maid service was adequate though not perfect. There was no room safe or coffee machine. The lobby is small but tastefully decorated with a collection of books.

Overall the room was small but clean, the bed comfortable, the staff efficient and helpful, and the location perfect (at the quieter end of south beach, yet a short walk to the beach and restaurants - for a very good Italian meal at moderate prices try La Locanda about 4 blocks away). This is not a luxury resort or the type of hotel to impress business associates, there is no room service or pool, but for anyone looking for a reasonably priced stay in an historic Art Deco building (designed by Henry Hohauser), you can't do much better than the Century.

Room Tip: The odd numbered rooms are to your right as you face the hotel from the street.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

277 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

The customer service at this hotel was outstanding, the reps at the front desk were always smiling and asked if we needed anything. They offer free beach towels at the front desk and they were always available.
Breakfast was as described in prior reviews; real orange juice, milk, cereals, breads and fruit.
I did a lot of research to find a hotel in this location at this price that looked decent online so I knew what I was paying for. I think it's a fantastic price at this time of year ($100) for a hotel right on ocean drive, the beach is right across the street. It's in the quieter end of south beach but its only a five minute walk or so to the busy area so it's the best of both worlds.
Rooms were very basic as shown on the website, we had all the towels we required in the room and they were changed each day. I did notice a stain on one of the new ones brought into the room. Sheets were clean, no bugs, lots of storage room and loved that it had a mini fridge. I just bought my own drinks and snacks and stored them in there and moved their mini-bar products aside. Water pressure in the shower was good. Our room was on the first floor so we were concerned that we'd hear a lot of noise or people walking by but there was no excessive noise. Rooms could use some artwork the walls were all bare. It did have everything I required for my stay though.
I did use the valet, it went very smoothly, they were pretty quick to bring the car back as well on average about 5 minutes, the longest we waited was 10 minutes when they said it was busy. No damage or issues with the car. It cost $25 with in and out privileges, they told me they have a couple lots they use, one behind the hotel and the other a minute or so down the street.
I would recommend this hotel if you're on a budget and want a basic hotel that is right across the street from the beach. Who goes to south beach to stay in their room all day anyways :)

2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

The beds were comfy. Prime location for partying but nice and quiet when you wanted to sleep. Serves a mediocre continental breakfast. My BIGGEST complaint is there were no washcloths. At first we were told they needed to be washed, then we were told they are laundered by an outside source and they didn't make the delivery, then we were told they were in the dryer. Needless to say we never got our washcloths. We had to wash with hand towels every time.

• Stayed June 2013

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one night. It was a little worne down but seemed to be an original art deco, although just outside the famous Miami beach art deco district. Not a five star, but price-quality-wise a god bargain.

Stayed March 2013
Muttenz, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Of course this place isn't a five star hotel. But if you book shortly in advance using the internet, you get an excellent price-/quality-ratio, compared to other places in South Beach. Furthermore, the staff is very friendly and helpful, the bus station to the airport is close and the included breakfast is really ok.
The only real downside was the slow WiFi.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

We stayed here for two nights and chose this hotel based on its location, reviews, and price. Big mistake! Bare minimum amenities. We had to ask for facecloths, tissue paper and toilet paper. The room was poorly lit, no working clock, only one nite stand, only 3 clothes hangers. The corridors were also poorly lit and dirty. Two out of 3 front desk staff had bad attitudes and could care less. The only thing this hotel has going for it is it's across the street from a Starbucks (the "continental breakfast" is also a joke) and the Marriott. We went to the Marriott to go to the beach and put on makeup.

Room Tip: None of the rooms Looked good Run away!
Lexington, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel for one night before our reservation at another hotel across the street. This is considered a "boutique hotel" - privately owned, not franchise owned. That said, the standard is far lower than the likes of the Hilton Bentley, or the Marriott South Beach. I chose this hotel because of the location and price since we were literally only spending 9 hours there. I give them an "A" for effort as far as trying to make it look like a boutique hotel, but really it reminded me of my old college house. It is very old with alot of paint to try and make it look ArtDeco. The doors and the walls are very thin - I did not sleep at all. In all fairness, I am used to staying at Hilton properties - this hotel just isn't for me. It is perfect maybe for those who are just out of college, want to save some money and just experience South Beach without alot of emphasis on where they are staying. I would personally not stay here again, but I would recommend it to a younger generation on a budget that wouldn't be spending much time in their room. And, with regards to the previous reviews, I definately did not see any bugs, or cockroaches (and I looked).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Century Hotel? Share your experiences!