“Bed Bugs....” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #186 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Canberra, Australia
“Bed Bugs....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2014

Our travel agent sent us to this doozy. I have no idea what hotel all of these photos are from but they are not the Alamo Hotel. Also do not be fooled by their free parking.... I think there was a total of 6 spots to park? Bad luck if you have a massive car.... I attempted to look past the run down lobby and just look forward to my experience in Miami Beach. The smell that hits you nearly knocks you off your feet and that happens every single time you enter the room. Our fridge did not even work but it was there. Our microwave started to work but then started smoking half way through heating our food up. When we told the receptionist he came in and had a look and basically tried to blame us for the microwave not working. He was then quite annoyed when we asked if we could use the staff microwave. My favourite part was when he told us that someone would coma and have a look in the morning at it. 4 days later and still nothing. I felt like I had to wear things (flip flops) every time I entered the bathroom to protect myself from all of the grime that had developed due to the lack of cleaning. Not to mention that every time we had a shower the bath would not drain until the next morning because the plugs were so clogged up. Every morning I would wake up covered in bites from our lovely visitors, the bed bugs. This place is a joke. I think I would rather sleep on a park bench then be here again and paying that ridiculous price!!

Room Tip: Just do not even go here.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Winnipeg, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

I guess the Alamo gave me what I needed – a place to crash for the night (before going to another hotel the next day). The sheets seemed clean and so did the bathroom for the most part, but the whole place felt like a run-down apartment…and it had a bad funky smell to it. Sure it was cheap, but the savings were weighed down by the amount I had to spend on alcohol in order to be willing to sleep there.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Hamilton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

We booked this hotel "BLIND" on Hotwire because it was advertised as a 2 Star Hotel in the Miami area at 65% off the original cost of $180 per night,,,, well come to find out anyone could book a room at this dump for $80 a night which is what Hotwire charged us claiming this was 65% off!!

As soon as we found out which Hotel we had booked we looked online and found that most reviews were very bad and that this is a rundown dump of a Hotel. As we were only staying one night we deiced to take a chance and stay there since we had already paid (Hotwire would not change the hotel or refund us our money)!

Upon arrival at the Hotel we found that the reviews were spot on,,, this is a total dump that I wouldn't even rate a 1 star Hotel,,, in fact I would rate it one step up from crack house,,, maybe!

The room had a bad smell,,, the furnishings were VERY old,,, the entire Hotel is in very poor condition and is in desperate need of being tron down! We would not recommend this place to anyone! The only saving grace was the bed wasn't too old and we felt it was clean,,, outside of that it is a total dump!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Iowa City, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

This hotel is really worthy when you get a price of $25 per person each at that location! The room is big enough for four people, and it is nice and clean; not only that, there is a microwave and a fridge in my room. The staffs are friendly and helpful. The hotel have a really good location. It's not far from the beach, and have many bus stops(including the bus #150 to Miami International Airport) near by, which is extremely convenient to go to either Miami Beach downtown or Miami downtown. Don't respect too much if you used to stay in five-star hotel, but it's really ideal hotel to live in for the people who doesn't have that much requires. If I come to Miami Beach again, I'll still choose this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with StudentUniverse

Anchorage, Alaska
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Advertised as free refunds and free parking but there is a 48 hour cancelation policy and the free parking is five or six spaces at the front of the building so plan on paying around $34.00 a day to park. I did not stay here after seeing the room I found another hotel. Even if the room is offered for free I would stay somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hell, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

I booked this blindly via hot-wires secret specials. Once reading the other reviews I was terrified of what I would find once I arrived. Well I was totally surprised to find a 1/2 decent place. The place from the outside looks nothing like the pics i recall seeing online. the location is ideal, as it was SUPER close to Miami flyer bus stop (i was coming in late from the airport Jan 1). It was only a 20 min walk down to the fabulous south beach area too. The place was clean, the guy at reception (a young Russian?? gentleman) was totally helpful and friendly. The room was absolutely clean, and even better than a motel 6 (which i was thinking would beat the pants off this place based on others reviews). The bed comfy, the bathroom clean and well stocked with expected amenities. Sure the place is on the older side, but for $88usd all in, vs the other hotels hotwire had available from $300 and up-crappy time of year to going through Miami for one night-this was really a pleasant surprise. I don't know if the owner has done more work on the place or what, but I would totally stay there again if in the area.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

It's true that this hotel is old, but as mentioned in other review, if you paid really low price (e.g. 20$/person) keep your expectations low and you will be happy with your stay! To reflect on some previous reviews:
• The hotel has now a new, functional elavator
• No bed bugs
• Staff was not very talkative, but wouldn't consider them unfriendly
• There is free parking in front of the hotel. When I got to the hotel all places were taken, so I just parked at a meter nearby. About 2 hours later, I moved my car to one of the free hotel spots.
• Very close to the beach. About 20 minutes by bus to South Beach.
• Bathroom was really old, but we didn't have any mold there.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Alamo? Share your experiences!