“Hope you don't have my experience” 1 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #48 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Cincinnati, Ohio, United States
“Hope you don't have my experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

I went to Miami for a Carnival Cruise and decided to arrive 1 day early to enjoy South Beach and get an early start to vacation with my wife. After arriving I realized it was Art Deco weekend and Ocean Dr was closed and could not park at hotel (this would be nice to know). Called the hotel and was advised could park with the valet one st over so problem solved. Drag all our luggage to hotel, squeeze through the outside restaurant area up front steps into a crowded, small lobby and get no warm and fuzzies from the counter, was told to wait cause there was someone ahead of me. Other people arrived and after 45min
sitting the lady starts to help people who arrived after me so I go to her and ask to be helped and I get a guilt trip saying don't be mad at me and I was totally calm just trying to get a room, and finally told i don't even have a room and get sent to Avalon hotel 2 blocks down. Why is it I waited this entire time for a reserved room just to get sent in the wrong direction first of all with all our luggage, end up at 11th to realize Avalon is down on 7th. Are you feeling my pain yet, all the while I just wanna put my feet in the sand before I lose the only day I get to stay before the cruise departs, but instead I'm dragging my luggage now to 7th and remember already paid $25 to park a block further from Waldorf past 9th, after calling about where to park and never advised no room available. Bottom line is this was the worst hotel experience I have ever had and I have no respect for this place. Go anywhere else, The Avalon Hotel had a nice staff but I got a room half the size, and still paid same price and was told I was getting an upgrade when moved from Waldorf to Avalon. Next day I go to the valet to pick up my car realize nobody there so we go back to the Waldorf to figure out where to get our car back. So they advise they will get it, but it will be about 15min. As we are waiting the same lady who moved us to the Avalon goes to the bar and grabs a bottle of Sparkling Wine and cups and says here you go with cups to drink as if to make a nice gesture but salmon creek sparkling wine is gross and I'm trying to "drive" back to return my rental car and in the meanwhile I'm to drink a cold bottle of gross in their hotel lobby in the 15min I have to wait on the rental, otherwise it becomes open container if want to take the bottle with, I also needed to get the car back on time to avoid additional fees, not taking into consideration the new car pickup spot plus 15min to retrieve the car via valet. Consider me your most unsatisfied person you never even had as a customer. I should have slept like a bum on the beach. Would have been more satisfied by mother nature. You should provide me a complete refund and stay on you at Avalon Hotel when you invite someone to pay and stay with you from 1000+ miles away and don't honor a stay in your room. Not my fault.

Room Tip: If you want good customer service go somewhere else. I will never book this place or recommend to an...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We booked this Hotel for 5 nights as a suprise for my wife and it was a surprise for my wife. I emailed the Hotel in advance as it was a very special occasion asking them to provide us with some Chilled Champagne in our room on our arrival, I emailed them about a couple of weeks before we arrived but got absolutely no response and again early on the day with our arrival time (attaching the original email) and I specified that if they were unable to do this, just let me know and I would make other arragements. I had absolutely No response at all and No Champagne in the room.
When we arrived it was very warm and we had a lot of luggage but we were not offered any assistance in taking it to the room.
Anyway, the room was smaller than expected and there seemed to be an issue with trying to hold water in the wash basin as there was no plug. The room safe was not working and we were not offered any other option to keep our valuables but it was fixed some 24 hours later.
The parking is expensive at $25 a day and we were charged in advance...we took a trip to Key West for 2 of the 5 days that we stayed so never used the car parking and they refused to offer us a refund for the 2 days that we were away!
We purchased 2 drinks from the Bar inside as were speaking/socialising with people because they were leaving and the weather was very pleasant outside, we asked if it was OK to take the drinks and sit outside with them. We were told at the bar this was ok but when we got outside and asked which table could we sit on we were shown to a table and was given a stern telling off for purchasing our drinks from the Bar, which we were very unhappy with.
We decided to order another drink and which was a cranberry and Vodka and a Jack Daniels and coke and we were charged $75 but this included a tip. We asked if this was correct and he said it was, we just could not believe that it was that expensive for 2 drinks. Needless to say we didn't drink at the Hotel again. Don't get me wrong, I am not one to scrimp, but I think $75 for two basic drinks is exorbitant.
I have to say, despite reading all the Hype, I felt nothing but disapointment when staying at this hotel. The impression that I got was that I was a paying a privalige to stay at this Hotel because of it's location and I never once felt like a valued customer!
A real shame!!

Room Tip: Don't Get the Ocean View as you will never get a good nights sleep without ear plugs!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Natalie M, General Manager at Room Mate Waldorf Towers, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Valued Guest

On behalf of myself and all my staff I want to take a moment to apolgoize for the incidents that had occured during your stay with us. I am researching to see why we did not see the email that you had sent to the Hotel in regards to the special requests made in advance. We have noticed that the bellman is a very important person that we need to add to our team and we are currently looking for the cotrrect person to add to our team to make sure that each guest enjoys his and her stay perfectly.

The bar and Prime Time is not part of the hotel however I found this very disapointing to hear and I have taken the issues up with the ownership. I have addressed the issues with both Prime time and the valet company.

We do strive everyday to make sure that each guest has the best stay possible and I will take your incidents and make sure that the issues will be resolved. The next time you are in Miami please contact us direct and I want to make sure that myself and the team makes it up to you.

Again biggest apologies
Natalie and staff
Rickmansworth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Exceeded our expectatons (which tend to be on the high side). We travel a lot so only write reviews if place is exceptional. This really was. The room ( a junior suite) was large, great decor, smelt nice, had a great bathroom with bath tub, ocean view and a bed that was so comfortable we nearly didn't get to see Miami it was so hard to get out of. A view reviews mention the noise factor, we were only on the first floor but what with the comfy bed and the size of cocktails served on Ocean Drive we didn't hear a sound. The staff were really friendly and helpful too. We had stayed in a really upmarket hotel at the start of our trip in another part of town and we were concerned that we had booked the right hotel as it didn't have a pool. We needn't have worried it beat the other hotel anyway and it's just across from the beach.

Room Tip: If budget stretches to it book junior suite with Ocean View.
Dear Friends,

We want to say Thank You for giving us the chance to serve you during your trip in Miami. We are so pleased to hear all the great things you mentioned in your review. We take great pride everyday to make each and every guests stay the best possible.

It is guests like you that let us smile and try our best to put the best effort everyday... We hope to see you again when you come to Miami.

Thanks again ,

Natalie and Staff
Berkeley, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I just recently stayed at The Room Mate Miami on January 13, 2013 after my eight day birthday cruise, and enjoyed it very much! I was with my BFF, MiMi and the front desk staff, Ana was very nice. We had stayed there before, so she was able to offer me a lower rate once I checked in which was very good of her! It pays to be a repeat consumer! Our room was so beautiful, overlooking the beach & Ocean Drive, I was very happy with my 2nd floor suite! The pictures are on point for this property, so if you like to be in the heart of South Beach, choose The Room Mate Miami! I did have a minor problem with them charging my card twice, but Natalie, the manager came out to resolve it quickly so I appreciated her great service! I will stay there again & again!

Room Tip: If you want a great view, choose the 2nd or 3rd floor rooms facing Ocean Drive!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Natalie M, Front Office Manager at Room Mate Waldorf Towers, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your very kind review. We appreciate you taking the time to do this. I am delighted you came back to stay with us at the Room Mate Waldorf Hotel and that you found the hotel was very comfortable and modern.

I am very pleased to hear that Ana was helpful, and I will make sure to let her know. It is always our aim to make our guests feel like they are in a home away from home.
I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Room Mate Waldorf Hotel on a future visit.

Best regards
Lazaro Flores
Front Office Manager
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Just returned from a long weekend in Miami, originally planned to stay in a hotel condo through airbnb but it was a disaster and we were panicked to find a place. Found Waldorf Towers as a fluke and couldn't have been happier -- a clean, modern boutique hotel right on Ocean Drive across from the beach. Such a great value, room was small but had everything we needed -- bed was extremely comfortable and decor was black/white modern chic which I loved. Ana at the front desk was so sweet and helpful. Don't forget to ask the front desk for beach towels if you're going to the beach!

Dear Valued Guest and Friend ,

We want to take a moment and give a big THANK YOU for stating with us. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your home away from home.We want to also say Thank You for taking the time to respond on trip advisor and letting all of our potential guests know that we exceeded your expectations. We hope that you will come back and visit your new friends at Waldorf the next time you are in Miami.

Thanks again and see you soon.

Natalie and staff
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

The Room Mate Waldorf Towers was a great choice for New Year's Eve (and any time for a South Beach visit). The service was good. The room was very clean, chic and very South Beach. The pictures you see are accurate. The location on Ocean Drive can't be beat. Be aware there are no rollaway beds. The room offers a minibar with room to put your own things into the fridge. There is no coffee maker but this is pretty standard for South Beach. The downstairs bar has espresso coffee. $4 for a latte or a cappuccino.

The cafe (while unaffiliated with the hotel) is in the front and a great venue for people watching.

The valet parking was $28 - ouch! But, you'll have to pay $20 anyway for overnight parking so you might as well suck it up and pay.

Ocean Drive was shut down to cars and turned into a huge street party for New Year's Eve. The fireworks on the beach were great. I do recommend that you plan ahead and get tickets for a club two months before your New Years Eve trip. Or else, you will just be roaming about. You could always go across the bay to Miami for better valued options. But then, you are driving.

Fat Tuesdays is two blocks away going north on Ocean Drive and personally, I love the margaritas there. Really cheap! The chips are wickedly good, too.

Be sure you don't get suckered in by the "two for one" drink specials along Ocean Drive. The drinks are $30 and they try to make you each order a two for one drink. They are huge, you couldn't possibly drink both yourself, and the price is absurd. Ask questions before you order and reach an agreement with your server.

Please be sure to walk to Espanola Way. It intersects Washington Street, nearby and is a charming foot traffic only street.

For cheap and good eats, try out the nearby pizza place on a side street next to the hotel, going north on Ocean Drive. $4 a slice and they are huge!

I will definitely return to the Waldorf Towers.

Room Tip: Room 214 had a terrbile view but was a larger room that was not a junior suite (relative to South Be...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Natalie M, General Manager at Room Mate Waldorf Towers, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Hello Dear Friend,

We are so happy to hear that you rang in the New Year with us!!!! Isnt amazing here on New Years eve???? We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and you found that the rooms where clean and the service was great ... Thats our main goal :) ..

We want to say THANK YOU !!!!!
and we hope that you come and visit again soon.

Best Regards,
Natalie Mower
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

After searching for hotels in South Beach we recently decided to stay at Waldorf Towers. We arrived and our American Epress based reservations were not on record. They accommodated us anyway and were very nice. The location cannot be beat and the room, while European in size, we're quite comfortable. Being near New Years the activity on Ocean Ave was ramping up yet we really heard vey little once in the room. Easy access to everything and the valet parking was great. All in all highly recommended

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Friends,

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!! we are so happy that you started the New Year with us... We are also happy to hear that you had a great stay with us. This makes us so happy to hear.

We hope to see you again soon..
Your new friends in Miami ...

Best Regards,
Natalie

Been to Room Mate Waldorf Towers? Share your experiences!