“Wow, what a deal” 5 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   844 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #108 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
“Wow, what a deal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2004

Got a great deal of the net, stayed five nights and just got back yesterday, would never want to leave. Clean rooms a bit small, but who really cares. The breakfast is comp. and is across the street,, between 7-10, the beach is one block away, so is ocean drive and washington, where most of the nighlife is found. The best part is; the hotel bar has free drinks, vodka based, from 6-9, and lets say they're not cheap with the alchohol,,, 3 nights in a row i topped 15 drinks in under 2 hours.. So enjoy it!

• Stayed January 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2004

Hotel Shelley is in a good location, one block from Ocean Drive. The staff are friendly and helpful. If you are on a budget and need the neccessities then this is the place for you. Included you also get a happy hour where cocktails are free for all guests. I think the hotel was fantastic.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2004

DON'T BE DISCOURAGED BY THE BAD REVIEWS, these people were obviously expecting the 4Seasons-
My boyfriend and I stayed 9/6-9/10 on a romantic getaway for my 24th Bday.
Hotel Shelley was ok. It was referred to me through Travelocity in a package deal so I said what the hell.
It definitley was smaller than what I expected, the presentation was nice though. For a cheap and convenient place to stay in S.Beach this is a safe bet. Not too abundant in amenities-BUT they do have a CD player/radio which was cool. (and reg. iron, blow dryer)
THEY CHARGE A RESORT FEE OF $5 per day payable when you check out. BUT, for the unlimited vodka based cocktails, loaner beach towels(incase you forgot), and free airport shuttle(it only runs every 2 hours) I'd say it was worth it. Close to the beach and restaurants. The staff was friendly and helpful, BIG UP to HENRY and CHELA-she's the manager!!

Recommends: nearby Porto Sagua for cheap-esque Cuban style food-YUM! 4stars!
Washington St.-for clubs and Pizza Rustica.
Johnny Rockets on Ocean Dr.-if you wanna profile like the other dinners on this strip but not spend alot of money. GREAT BURGERS and SHAKES.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2004

Not bad at all! I stayed with my boyfriend and we had a great time! The hotel is older- Art Deco and not very modernized, but still attractive. The rooms are average and clean. Okay the air-conditioning is a cooler, but it'll suffice. Who stays in their room in Sobe anyhow? The lounge is cool and there is a patio outside. The place has a quaint feel. The hotel does get a little louder at night -the majority of the guests are young 20-somethings. Sobe has a young vibe and a reputation for being a party zone, so true.. it is not exactly for families. Families should not stay here. The area is NOT shady as the girls from my city in the last review said. It's totally cool.. just know there may be drunk men around at night, so be careful.. you are still in an urban area- duh? MOST of the staff was great, the maids were good and what can I say it was a great value for the price! Just be prepared to pay the $100 key deposit as mentioned and have fun!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2004

The Hotel Shelley is in an interesting area. It was just me and my best friend traveling the east coast and we got a good price to stay at the Hotel Shelley so we braved South Beach . I thought that after living in California there was no shock value in many things anymore but I was wrong. South Beach is not a good idea for families. The area isn't super safe and there aren't a lot of things for families to do. The hotel is in an "art decco" area which is kind of a nice way of saying run down and funky. The halls were dimly lit, and the rooms were interesting to say the least. For instance, they left a can of mints on each of our beds but one of the cans was already open. The sheets had some obvious stains and the dead bolt on the door didn't work (which was a bit concerning and the only time I felt unsafe being in a hotel.) Being two young females in South Beach may not have been the best idea. Walking back at night to the hotel was a bit frightening . Check out at the hotel took 30 minutes because they wanted to try and charge me an early check out fee and I had to wait 25 minutes to talk to the manager. If you're a 6'4'' 270 lb male going there to have a good time you'd feel safe, maybe, but probably not the best idea for young girls by themselves. It's not just the hotel, it's the south beach area/Collins Ave. area itself.

Mississauga, ON Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2004

I was a bit worried about the stay at Hotel Shelley because of some of the horrible reviews, but I didn't let it stop me from going and I'm very glad for that!

Staff: They're friendly as long as you are friendly to them. (Fair enough). Greg (the night shift guy) was really wonderful, telling us where to get a great and inexpensive meal nearby at really late hours (our plane was delayed and so we checked in at almost midnight). Another male employee (whose name I can't recall) chatted with us, and seemed like a really great guy. Didn't get a chance to meet any of the female employees, but that's because we were always out at the beach while they were working!

Breakfast: Nothing special - just cereal, toast, and juice, but that's all you really need, isn't it? Make sure you get there before 10:30 though because they start putting things away around that time.

Rooms: A bit small, but not cramped and it didn't cause any problems with our stay. The rooms and washrooms were very clean, and we had no problems with water pressure in the shower. The water does take a bit of time to get cold, so I'd suggest bringing your ice bucket across the street to the Chesterfield Hotel and filling it up (Shelley doesn't have one directly in the hotel), then putting ice in your drinking water.

Location: Not very noisy, in the PERFECT location for beaches, shopping, nightlife, etc.

The "Dreaded Stairs": The hotel is only three stories, so it's not a big deal that there's no elevators!

Meals: I'd highly recommend going to Johnny Rockets! Go down 8th Avenue and turn right onto Ocean Drive and it'll be right there! Great food, decent prices, and excellent staff.

Overall it was a wonderful stay and I really don't have any complaints about the hotel.

• Stayed August 2004
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2004

After reading some reviews of Hotel Shelley, I was apprehensive about the stay and almost canceled the hotel. We were coming in town for the Madonna concert, and I wanted everything to go without a hitch. I must say I am glad I gave the hotel a chance. I read some really scathing reviews, but our experience was pleasant. The rooms are cute and quaint, small, but most of the boutique hotels have small rooms. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean. The lobby is very cute and they play cool music, mostly disco in the lobby all day. Our room was quiet b/c we were not near the lobby. The hotel is in a fabulous location, walking distance to beach, great restaurants like News Cafe, and there's a Banana Republic just a couple of doors down for emergancies! Plus, they give you passes to the nightclubs and have free drinks in the evenings. I have booked another stay at Hotel Shelley already. The only thing that went wrong was I told them when I checked in that I wanted to pay everything in cash, and they said no problem, but they billed my credit card anyway. Luckily that was resolved with no major headache. The Hotel Shelley is a great place to stay!

Been to Hotel Shelley? Share your experiences!