“Hotel Shelley has advantages and disadvantages” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel Shelley
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   844 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #108 of 204 Hotels in Miami Beach
Peachtree City, Georgia
“Hotel Shelley has advantages and disadvantages”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2014

Getting there:
Hotel Shelley (HS from here on out) is part of a group with a FREE shuttle to get you to/from the airport. The shuttle makes a circuit to a variety of hotels before heading to the airport. So add in time to make your flight. The shuttle is a large bus-like vehicle, not somebody's van. *

Arrival and check-in, around 18:30 on a weekday, was relatively painless and swift, with a Bell Man to assist w/ bags. (There is no elevator, but the hotel is only three stories) The bar is directly across from the main desk, and open fairly late.

Having to pay a surprise daily $15 "Resort Fee" was a bit bracing. "Uh, this isn't really a resort. I have been to more than a few actual resorts, and THIS ain't that.”
Well the fee covers beach towels, the free drinks, bath robes, etc. Hmmm...OK. Whatever. (And IF there was breakfast, we never found out about it)

The room was adequate. Window looked onto some bamboo and a tall wall--I didn't actually WISH to be on the street, so that was fine. Window AC--you find that everywhere for this kind of hotel at this rate. No coffee maker. And I realized why--some portion of the wiring seemed to be plugged into an orange 12 gauge extension cord and bar. No burnt odor or flickerings, though, so I didn't worry about it.

The marble bathroom was pretty and fun--until you got to the shower floor. It was really slick--water on marble.hello, plus soap for added slickness. There were no bath strips to prevent a fall. <Lawsuit waiting to happen, HS> Put me rather ill at ease, given my knee and back issues. But I just put a hand towel down for traction, anchored at the drain. Worked fine.

Not so fine = relations with the housekeeping staff. We apparently pissed them off--although it's hard to know how or why, precisely. We're not "dirty"-- we don't create sticky, mass spills, mar windows or mirrors with cemented-on gunk, throw used condoms about, leave half eaten pizzas around, etc. First day = spectacular, clean, lots of towels. 2nd day = not so clean (sand can be gotten up, even a light top layer) and two towels.
Went to the desk and the gentleman there in 0.33 seconds literally pulled out six towels--regular, hand, washcloths. Brilliant.

Mentioning towels and sand put us on the Black List--we had a little form thrust into our door saying they TRIED to clean, but we were in the room. Hmmm...yes, we usually stay until around noon. But when we leave, we put out the 'clean it' sign. And we are gone for hours.
Next day, the young lady stood in the room until we left. That was...well, OK. Yeah, perfectly clean but only two towels.
Called the desk, and about five minutes later the Bell Man came up--with two washcloths! By then, it was funny.

My concern right now (and yes, I DID leave a tip) is for a very compact camera/cell phone case I left behind. It is black and silver, and contains a few non-valuable gemstones (calcite, amazonite, hematite) I have been trying to call the hotel, and cannot get through. (we checked out Friday morning, May 02)

Mostly, the service was good. Note that happy hour is from 19:00 - 20:00 ( 7 - 8 PM). So you need to eat before or after--we couldn't make it a few times because of the hour. But if you take a "free" drink out onto the small 'porch' in front of the edifice, you can meet people from all over the world. Literally. Peru, Colombia, Los Angeles. I'm sure there were others, we just weren't present. The bar has a dual turntable set up, and happy hours get loud. (Hence the porch) The age range here and all over South Beach bends towards young, but us oldsters were treated OK too.

The location can't be beat. Two blocks from the beach = you're close, but don't have the noise, traffic, drunken fools, loud and constantly blaring music coming from six directions simultaneously. Plus, walk over a block in the other direction, and you can hop onto the Miami Beach local bus for a quarter. (They are the blue, short-form buses, vs. the 45 foot regular-sized transit buses. You can ride one of those into Miami etc., but NOT for a quarter)

HS is a great base of operations to make forays all over Miami Beach. Just understand that it is what it is, and that includes some limitations.
M. H. Dolan

* NOTE: I mention an arrival inability simply because others will no doubt face the same bull. Upon arriving at the Miami airport, we went up, down and back around trying to find the hotel shuttle's berthing spot--the G26 slot, I think. We tried English and Spanish, people who worked in various capacities at the airport--but no joy. We took a cab in. Not HS's fault. BUT perhaps a map on the website, with directions explicitly delineating where the berthing spot is can help. I'm a retired QA& Safety Engineer, and I couldn't figure it.)
(My QA&S self meant that I noticed the extension cord, and the bath strips. And makes me ask why ever open a window? Who knows what state the individual parts might be in? Who needs to open it? Unlike a previous commentator, I did not see a single cat.)

Room Tip: Higher floor = less noise
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Shelley, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
Hello there MH D,

Thank you so much for taking your time to provide your extensive feedback, for all of our guests to read! We offer a complimentary shuttle service from MIA, along with other great money saving amenities! We do charge a $15 resort fee that covers all of the amenities here at Hotel Shelley. It clearly states this on our site, and all of our third party sites. Our staff work hard to make sure that you are having a great time with us!I will make sure to pass your feedback on to all of our team, so that they are aware. I have checked with our housekeeping department and our lost and found, and unfortunately there was not case found. Perhaps you misplaced it somewhere else. We hope that you would stay with us again in the future!

Katrine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Bronx, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

Hotel shelley is a great place to stay at.. close to the beach and all entertainments i had a awesome time at south beach.. staff was amazing and very friendly. when i decide to go back to miami i def will stay here again. Damian the front desk staff was cool as hell!! i so love this place.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Shelley, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Hello there jeannie v,

There is nothing that we love to read more then wonderful 5 star feedback! We are located in the heart of South Beach just blocks away from the hottest spots. Our staff are always hard at work to make sure that everyone is having a great time! Damian is absolutely wonderful, and all of our guests seem to think so as well! I will make sure to inform him of your kind praise! We hope to see you again soon!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

Checked in with no problem, staff was friendly and prompt. Thanks to the guys who helped man who just got his stuff stolen on the beach I wished i remember there name but im sure you guys know who you are. Do not hit up the hotel bar for food or drinks because after a certin hour they do not serve niether of them. Besides that the cleaning lady was great and the rooms were neatly done. When asked to clean the room personal stuff was not touch which is GREAT. However at the end of the day you do pay for location, nerly a block away from the beach, great restaurants and bars. We were berly in our rooms, and the room size were OK.
Check out was simply and easy thanks to Damian "The Man".
Overall experience it was nice hotel for a few days.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Shelley, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Good Afternoon omar F,

There is nothing that we love to read more then wonderful 5 star feedback! Thank you for sharing it with us, and all of our future guests! Our staff work hard to make sure that everyone is well taken care of, and having a great time! We hope that you would chose to make us your go-to hotel, when coming to Miami!

Cedarburg
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

We attempted to stay at the Hotel Shelley for one night. Upon arrival, and after nearly an hour of searching for our reservation, the front desk staff discovered that our reservation was made for the day I MADE the reservation, rather than the day of our actual reservation, despite the confirmation email I received.

To the hotel's credit, they attempted to accommodate us at this point by giving us a room on the first floor, directly behind the bar. When I protested due to the obvious noise problem - I KNOW this is South Beach, I KNOW what kind of hotel this is, but please, nobody wants that room, which is probably why it was available - the hotel told me that as a family, we probably should have picked a different hotel. What? Our family = 2 adults, and one 15 year old. We're not talking toddlers that need a nap. It was 3 p.m. and the DJ was already playing music in the lobby. We had a pretty good idea of what the activity level would be at midnight and later.

After a second attempt to give us a room on the second floor, which we would have gladly taken if it was ready (we went up to find the beds completely stripped and the room clearly not cleaned) we asked for a refund. We'd been in the lobby over two hours at this point. Ultimately, the general manager offered to upgrade us to a four-star sister property, the Riveira Hotel, which we gladly accepted. It was more "family friendly." Geez, Get off it.

So, I am leaving a review despite not having stayed at this property. We would have liked to stay there - the location was perfect, the decor had the funky, cool, vibe we like. We wanted to be in this neighborhood, near the beach. WE KNEW WHAT WE WERE RESERVING. At the same time, it's not unreasonable to expect that a reservation made months earlier will be for a room that's ready, not the one that nobody wants.

But this hotel has some fundamental problems. I tried calling the hotel no less than six times the weekend before our reservation to confirm it (as I did with everything on this trip). Every attempt was voice mail purgatory, and no, I don't believe as I was told via a follow up email, that the "phone system was down." I just don't think they answer the phone. The phone at the front desk didn't ring the entire time we were in the lobby, and for a busy, small boutique hotel like this, that seems a little unrealistic. Other reviews have also pointed this out. I also attempted to communicate via email, and got no response to that.

So on the upside, the general manager and the front desk staff member really did to their best to address our problem. We were completely satisfied with the end result. But it was a problem that should have never occurred in the first place. If you read the reviews here, it seems like those people who have a reservation executed without a hitch have a fairly good experience at this hotel. And then there are people like us. Hope you don't join us if you attempt to stay here.

Room Tip: If they attempt to give you a room on the first floor by the bar, don't take it unless you plan...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Good Afternoon HolidayRoad,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, and all of our future guests! I am very glad to know that we were able to accommodate you with a room. We are sorry that the room was located behind the bar, on the first floor. We have a DJ spinning in the lobby to keep a cool vibe going on when guests walk in. We are located in the heart of South Beach, and we are more of a party hotel. I see that we were able to upgrade you to our sister hotel- Riviera Suites. It's a lovely 4 star property, located just a bit further North. I will definitely make sure to pass on your feedback to the rest of our team, so that they are aware.

Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

I have stayed at South Beach Group hotels several times in the past, including the Chesterfield and the Catalina - my favourite. This was my first stay at Hotel Shelley. Upon arriving I immediately found the front desk staff was not attentive, despite the fact I was the only one requiring service and checking in at the time. Instead, he chose to walk away from the desk and began chatting with another staff member, making me wait. When he did complete my check-in he barely spoke and acted as though it was a hassle and I was inconveniencing him. The rest of the staff were very cooperative and relatively pleasant.
Location is certainly the highlight. The never-ending construction on Collins Ave does make walking around the area a bit annoying; something the city should be addressing in a high tourist area. Hopefully it will be completed soon. The hotel room was small, which is to be expected, but clean and decent for the price point. As with the other SBG hotels, the bed was clean and comfortable, which is key. The bathroom could use some attention and maintenance. The screws holding the towel rack had pulled out of the wall at some point in the past and were simply pushed back in, so it was hanging from the wall in the shower. The faucet was also loosely sitting on the sink, which I attempted to tightened myself. A few small details, but these could easily be addressed to improve the experience for future guests.

Upon checkout the girl working the front desk was very polite and pleasant, which was great.

I was incorrectly billed for items from the mini bar after checkout, which has been addressed with management to have reimbursed.

I'll be choosing the Catalina for future stays.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Hello there JeffMyles,

We value all of our guests feedback and we would like to thank you for sharing yours with us! We are delighted to know that you are one of our loyal and returning guests of SBG. We strive on providing outstanding service, so it pains us to read that is not what you were given! Perhaps the front desk agent was assisting another hotel matter, and needed to speak with the other employee about it. The City of Miami Beach is preforming construction to improve our roadways. They should be done before we know it, and everything will be better then ever! We are indeed a boutique hotel therefore our rooms are a bit smaller then your average hotel room. I will make sure to pass on your feedback to our other staff, so that they are aware of this.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Hotel took an hour to check in, despite no line. Service slow and rude at the lobby bar. Hotel key cards failed frequently. Tried to charge extra charges on checkin despite prepay. With so many other options in sobe, don't stay here. Not worth it

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Shelley, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Hello there tombizzle,

We value all of our guests feedback and we are terribly sorry that your time spent with us was not a 5 star one! We have been experiencing some issues with our system, causing checking guests in and out to take a bit longer then usual. We advise guests not to place their key cards next to their cell phones, as this is how they are deactivated. We do charge a $15 resort fee that covers all of the amenities that we offer. All of the sites clearly state that.

Travelers are raving about these Miami Beach hotels

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

I stayed at Hotel Shelley for one night. My boyfriend and I wanted to jump around hotels in South Beach so after being disappointed with our stay at the Whitelaw Hotel we were hopeful Hotel Shelley would be more true to their pictures, cleanliness, service, etc. Alton Bates at Hotel Shelley allowed us to drop off our luggage in the morning before check-out, and agreed to sign for my suitcase that was lost in flight the previous day....we were able to go out and explore south beach without worrying. When my boyfriend became very sick around noon, we went back to the hotel eager to get a room. Alton was able to get us checked in early and we got a large corner room. Alton helped me carry our luggage upstairs and helped us get into the room. After a long day of taking care of my boyfriend, I was able to get a free mixed drink for happy hour in the lobby. :)

Good Afternoon Christie C,

Thank you so much for the time you took to share your feedback with us! Alton is absolutely amazing and all of our guests seem to think so as well! We strive on providing outstanding service to all of our guests, so we are glad that is what you received! I will make sure that Alton is aware of your kind praise! We hope that you would choose to stay with us again in the future!

Katrine

Been to Hotel Shelley? Share your experiences!