“Not too shabby” 3 of 5 stars

Norwalk, California
“Not too shabby”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

VIBE
I got the Vegas-party-like-no-one's-watching kinda vibe at Hotel Shelley - decor, music, ambience etc. I'm not getting the wholesome family vibe here at all. More like, an art deco hotel and a club got together and had a baby. Purple - the color that sticks when I think back.

ROOM LOCATION
Sister made sure to get a room on the 3rd floor versus 2nd. Good call as the music in the lobby/bar chill area is bumping. Just in case we'd option for a good night sleep.

I'm kind of used to bathrooms with a window or an exhaust. But I understand this is a "vintage" building which may not had the opportunity to be retrofitted with one or the other. Cracked door and window to let off steam does the trick.

STAFF
Whole staff's helpful, attentive and cool, especially Cynthia, David and the brown-haired lady from Belarus (bar staff); Daniel, Dusko and Ricardo and the guy that checked us in that Sunday night early Aug'12 (front desk), gave us a chic welcome.

For the price and what I got out of the stay, I'd come back. Good place to set stuff down and explore South Beach.

Room Tip: 3rd floor, high enough to get a night's rest, low enough to climb the stairs. No elevators.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Steve_Sbg_Vibe_Mgr, Manager at Hotel Shelley, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Stretching-Tiger,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are pleased to know you enjoyed your stay. Our staff will be pleased to hear about your great review. We look forward to your return.

Vibe Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

As soon as I arrived I felt the party vibe, with great music on the Bar. The beach is a block away and all the bars and restaurants on Ocean Drive are very close from the Hotel. The rooms are small but quite confortable, there is an open bar from 7 to 8pm, free shuttle to MIA is the best, the staff are great, made us feel very confortable. Specially Dusko and Ricardo were very attentive and were able to guide us for tours and car rentals, very informative with parties on the weeks and were able to hook us up with some VIP cards for the Nightclubs . The room service is quite punctual and I strongly recommend the French Toasts with strawberry and banana for the breakfast eaters like me. There is a Karaone night were everyone gets waisted and sing all kinds of songs...

Room Tip: Rooms on the 3rd floor are more silent than the others, but if you look for a peaceful environment t...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Steve_Sbg_Vibe_Mgr, Manager at Hotel Shelley, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Triana B,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are pleased to know you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to your return. We will make sure to have plenty of French toast with strawberries and bananas waiting.

Lowell, Massachusetts, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

Why didn't we book here first! When we first Booked our trip we decided to stay at fashion haus hotel, it wasn't the best location but we thought it was ok. We ended up extending our trip an additional day so we looked into booking a different room that was less expensive. We found hotel Shelley that was pretty inexpensive for the night and went for it. Once we arrived we were notice the bar in the lobby and the decor was nice. The front desk clerk dusko was extremely pleasant and even though check in wasn't for another 3 hours he found us a room and checked us in early on the first floor. That was awesome. The room was bigger than the previous one we were in and smelled so clean and fresh, huge windows that let light in and ac on blast gave the room a nice cool feeling. Mini bar was full and inexpensive.

A few negatives on the hotel, the room has bad lighting ... Very low light in the barroom as well as the room it self. Very bad to put make up on or find things in a room. There was no full body mirror that made it hard to get dressed and see what you look like. That was very unpleasant for us. Free wifi but only in lobby and outside deck only! No bueno!!!!! Not a fan of extra fees on check .

On the other hand, front desk gave us a few tips on where to go and what to do. Free drinks at he bar from 7-8 pm that's a plus! I would stay here again and recommend my friends family to stay here as well. Very close to ocean drive and scenery. Dusko was great!!

Room Tip: First floor is always great, unless you don't mind walking up the stairs due to no elevator.
Ann Mary F,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay. I will forward your comments on the lighting to our team for improvements. Darko is part of our management team and we are lucky to have him. He will be pleased to read your review. We look forward to your next return.

Swansea
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

When we checked in at Shelley Hotel I specifically asked if the taxes and fee were included and they said YES! Two weeks later I checked my account and saw that they charged me $16.95. I was really mad because I knew it wasn't right! I called and complained but they didn't resolve anything. I travel a lot and I've never been over charged before, I feel like they are stealing it from my account. $16.95 is not a lot of money but imagine if they take from everyone that gave their credit card?! If they take $16.95 here and there and nobody do anything they will keep doing it, so be aware when you stay there. Also, they play music really loud all night, so my friend and I couldn't go to bed until after 3 or 4 am.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Larissa,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Our hotel resort fee is comparable to many of the other hotels on South Beach. We disclose our resort fee on all internet advertising and upon check-in. Rest assure this is an isolated incident and we apologize for an inconvenience this may have cost you.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

My friend and I stayed here for 3 nights when we visited south beach. First things first the location in amazing! its literally in the heart of south beach. Secondly the people who work there are awesome. The guys that work the front desk were always so helpful and accommodating. Dusko, George and Carlos really made our stay perfect by taking care of everything we asked for, they were really friendly and great. The rooms are nice, and up to date also a shuttle takes you from the airport to the hotel also. I would absolutely stay here again without a doubt!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Steve_Sbg_Vibe_Mgr, Manager at Hotel Shelley, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Good Afternoon Maja1020,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are glad to hear you enjoyed the Hotel Shelley. Dusko, George and Carlos are a great part of our team and are pleased to have them. We look forward to your return.

Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I booked the hotel the day before my arrival through expedia. So, it was quite expensive. When I arrived at the hotel, the agent could not find my reservation. After about 5 minutes, he was able to locate my reservation. I had requested two queen beds, but he wanted to give us one queen bed. I told him that I booked two queens beds and he said that sometime cannot honor the request He finally gave in and addedhe said he was not going to charge me for the two queen beds. I already had paid enough money for the 3 nights. (I didn't say anything, I just thanked him)
The room was pretty nice. The beds were comfortable. The AC was working, the room was cold, though the AC at times was making these loud noisy. The music was playing when we entered the room. We thought we had the wrong room. There was a small refrigerator and a nice TV set. One of the things I did not like is that the room was pretty dark. It must have been the colors of the wall that gives this gothic dark look. The bathroom was plain and also dark. There was a light bulb out. Also the sink was leaking. I brought it to the attention of the front desk and action was taken right away.
They had free shuttle to the Miami airport and a free cocktail hour in the evening. Too bad I did not take advantage of these two free things.
The staff was good. Especially Chris the Bellman and Dusko the front desk agent, these two men were super. They were very pleasant and extremely helpful.
I would consider staying at this hotel again, but I think there are better hotels for the money I paid.
Next time I would book an hotel further north. Perfect location 10-15 th street. Much cheaper

Room Tip: Request a room away from the lobby, they always play loud music.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Good Afternoon Cos B,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Our hotel is very lucky for having the great staff like Darko and Chris . We look forward to seeing you again soon in the future

Braga, Braga, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

The worst thing about the hotel is not specific of this one. You get a price on the web and then you have to pay all kinds of taxes and fees, which adds up a sum of almost 25%.

Another bad thing was that I requested on booking.com two beds, once I was travelling with my mate. When we got there they said it was a double bed because we didn't book it directly. So, take care with special requests and write them directly. The guy who "got" us the room with two bed did it as he was doing a favor, which was really a shame.

Great location, close to the beach, to the nightlife of SoBe and the shopping area, though. The rooms are small but with high quality and clealiness. Apart from that episode, staff is great, especially Dusko and Marina, who were really helpful and nice.

Don't come here if you expect calm. It's a party place!

Room Tip: Another bad thing was that I requested on booking.com two beds, once I was travelling with my mate...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Good Afternoon Olivier,

Thank your for posting your review. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your time on South Beach. Darko and Chris are a great asset to our company and we are pleased to have them. We look forward to your return.

Vibe Manager

Been to Hotel Shelley? Share your experiences!