“Served its Purpose” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #88 of 203 Hotels in Miami Beach
Nashville
“Served its Purpose”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2007

The trip to south beach was for my bachelor party, so I didn't want the guys going to have to drop a lot of money on room and flight. We decided on Chesterfield of location and rate. We reserved the Executive Suite, which is in the building next door(lilly leon). The room was fine in terms of space and what not. If you are wanting plush, stay somewhere else. But if you need a place to crash for a few nights of partying, this hotel is fine.

The Good- Like everyone says, the location is great. You are right in the mix of beach, clubs, shops, etc. Everything is close. The bartenders in the Lilly Leon building were cool. Drink prices are kinda steep unless your getting them free at 7 till 8.

The bad- Check-in was kind of a rough. My best man had payed for room in advance with a $100 deposit. When we checked in, they tried to put another $100 deposit on it. We just got the feeling we might be getting ripped. We had printed off our paid receipts, so it worked out.

Overall, it was a good experience. Miami Beach is a non--stop party and we had a blast. I would probably look for another hotel if we go back to South Beach.

• Stayed June 2007, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
  • Polish first
Washington DC
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2007

There are many hotels in South Beach and I think you can do better than this place. I stayed for two days and never received any maid service. Half of the lights in my room did not work. I stayed directly over the lounge, and the music was clearly heard in my room until 4AM. When I checked out their computer system was down. The desk clerk told me he would e-mail my bill. I had to call 12 times over the course of a week to finally get the hotel to send me my bill. Save yourself the trouble and stay someplace else.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — poor customer service
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Charleston SC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2007

My husband and I booked 2 rooms for a Sun-Wed stay the night before leaving. Our friends arrived a day late and the ladies at reception happily cancelled their room for the Sunday night. Unfortunately, 2 hours later when our friends found they would make it on time the room had already gone. For $100 a night (plus $5 resort fee) you could not ask for better in South Beach. Hotel is a street away from the Beach, close to bars, restuarants and shops, u do not need a car. If you do bring a car I would not recommend valet. The hotel group runs the valet for all of their hotels in the area so it will take u 45mins + to get your car. The foyer has a bar and DJ that plays loud music till 6am (i think) so the rooms up the front can prob hear it. Thanks to TA I asked for a room towards the back of the hotel (room 218, 318 would have been even better) and this was great. The only noises we heard were garbage trucks for a few minutes each morning. Standard king room was as per the pictures on the website. It was clean, had iron & board, safe at no extra charge but was not cemented into the ground, stereo, tv, fridge and hair dryer. We found the staff very helpful and freindly and the happy hour is great, would def recommend and stay again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Valet
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2007

Our weekend stay in South Beach was spoiled by our stay at The Chesterfield. Having booked online to stay at The Chesterifield we were surprised to be directed next door to the Lily Leon on arrival. Our room was small (despite booking a junior suite) and dingy, and the basin (outside of the bathroom in the main bedroom) was in an alcove with no lighting. It was impossible to see to shave! The bathroom smelt mouldy and the shower was a low pressure dribble of luke warm water. We complained about the water temperature. The clientele who were hanging out on the front proch can be best described as rowdy. We didn't even bother to sample the breakfast which looked like a hand-out for the homeless on Collins Ave. We tried to shower on the second evening and the water was scalding hot. This couldn't be fixed so we were moved to a bigger room which featured very dingy low-watt lighting and bed-linen full of holes. The room was not clean and we were kept up for half the night by exuberant guests shouting and screaming until 7AM. We felt uncomfortable about security because our ground-floor room was located in a courtyard directly accessible from the street. Finally, as we checked out, another group of guests were complaining about their stay at the hotel. Don't be fooled by the hotel pictures which make the very best of a very bad job and the online room description bears absolutely no resemblance to the rooms we stayed in.

• Liked — Checking Out
  • Disliked — Besides the poor quality, the dishonesty of the online description. This is fraud.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2007

Me and 3 of my girls went to SoBe for a Bachelorette weekend Thursday, April 26th- Sunday, April 29th. Since there were 4 of us, we figured it would be best to book a suite. I've been to SoBe numerous times and knew most of the hotels were old aka art deco. We tried to book the Bently Beach Hotel but it was full. We decided on an executive suite at the Chesterfield. We payed for the suite a couple weeks before our arrival. I was the first to arrive and they needed a cc to hold $100 on for incidentals. I gave them my card. Our suite was actually next door in the Leon. They are all part of the South Beach Hotel Group.

I then proceeded to the suite, with no assistance with my suitcase. The suite was poorly lit and there was a roach on the floor. I dropped a book on it to kill and had the hotel send someone up to clean it up. They told me it must have came in from outside. Whatever!

On Saturday, my bank called me to authorize two transactions, which ended being the total cost of the suite along with the $100 incidental fee. We paid for the suite two weeks ahead of time!
Everyday when they came to clean our suite-they only made the beds. They didn't empty garbages our sweep the wood floor. They also never had any small face towels, which we requested everyday. And the air conditioner barely worked!

The hotel lobby is a party all night long!!! Noise is expected in SoBe. The hotel is right around the corner from Wet Willies (try a Superman) and the beach. The location is the only good thing about this hotel. Do not stay at any of the South Beach Group Hotels!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything Else
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
Danville, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2007

When five other family members and I were booked on a cruise out of Miami, it was my task to find a hotel in South Beach. I was attracted to the Chesterfield because of the price, but wouldn't book until I read the reviews on Trip Advisor. This was back several months before our cruise, so the worst reviews were not yet posted. Most people complained about the dark, dingy hallways, the elevator and the noise. I booked two rooms on the third floor to be away from the noise, which worked. We were all satisfied with the rooms for the price we paid ($112 per night), but agreed we wouldn't be happy to stay there more than one night. The rooms are very small, and the beds take up most of the space and we kept hitting our legs on the beds trying to maneuver around. There is very limited space to put your belongings. The closet is very small. In the bathroom there is nowhere to put your toiletries. The halls were dark. I looked and there were 25 watt bulbs in the lights. The positive aspect was the beds were very comfortable and the rooms were spotlessly clean. We went next door for the continental breakfast, which was okay, but not enough space to sit. Just a few tables which were taken. I had to balance my breakfast on my lap. The elevator worked sometimes and sometimes it didn't. We had to walk down the steep steps a few times. I would recommend this hotel to someone if you can get a really cheap price and not expecting too much. Incidentally, I had read about the watered-down drinks, so I asked for straight vodka with no juice and got a cupful. We didn't get robbed, fortunately.

• Liked — Very comfortable beds
  • Disliked — Lack of space for belongings
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York City, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2007

I was very nervous about staying here (due to bait and switch and robbery reports on Tripadvisor) but being we were on a budget, we had no choice. We booked a room at the Chesterfield even after reading the bad reviews we sort of went with hope that "it wouldnt happen to us". Big mistake. Upon arrival, they just tried to slide us into the hotel (uglier, grimier) next door "Lily Leon". They gave us wine and were over the top with "sweentess", i'm sure so we wouldnt flip and so we'd accept the downgrade without drama. They said that this is what "they always do" because tehre aren't any "suites" in the Chesterfield. I ask myself "why advertise suites there then?" So onto the room, very gross and we actually saw a ROACH! The lighting was bad..nothing absolutely NOTHING in the hotel was remotely cute or chic. The sheets were kinda nice but thats it. Throughout our 4 day stay, our suite (which was NOT a suite! just a big room that fit three double beds!) was not cleaned once! Luckily we spoke spanish and asked the cleaning ladies to give us clean towels.. What else, oh yes, there was this wierd man that hung around and blasted his music from his car all weekend right at the hotels exit. He would heckle us at all times whenever we entered and exited our hotel. Turns out he was a drug dealer who not only asked for our phone numbers repeatedly but also offered to sell my friends drugs. He was a disgusting pig and even blamed my friend for spilling his drink and made a ridiculous scene until she bought him a drink to make him look like a cheap [--] and he obviously didnt care b/c he accepted it! Needless to say,I was paranoid particularly about thefts and burglary especially after reading the rewiews. Guess what? To that reviewer before me who was asked where they were going to dinner? It happened to us. My airheady friend (well bless her heart she had no idea about the hotels history) blabbed all our itinerary to some lady who asked us (it was some random lady sitting in the lounge area of the bar...friends w/ the drug dealer!). My friend naively told her we were going for dinner at Prime 112 (which as you know is a longgg dinner) and then out dancing. What a fool. I stepped in and played dumb and said, "yeah but some of our friends are staying in..they drank too much hehehehe." I quickly ran to the receptionist (which i now know is Jamal!) and asked if there was security in our hotel b/c i was aware of robberies.. Then i remembered staff was suspected to be in on it too. Oh it was too chaotic. I basically lied to Jamal too and told him that there were shady people loitering around the hotels entrance at all times and they know our ins and outs and if our room was robbed, the hotel would, by law, be responsible for our belongings. He seemed like he gave a rats [--] so i stepped up the hostility and told him that two of my friends are sick in tehre and if anything happens to them we have the police and lawyers on speed dial. i asked if he could make sure their "security" (i knew tehre was no security) let the shady guy outside and his side kicks know that it was not acceptable. Dude, i totally like i was in some slummy bordertown in mexico...fearing for our valuables and peace of mind. NOT WORTH IT! My next step is to research FL laws and see if we have any leg to stand on regarding the good ol 'bait and switch' that the lovely southbeachgroup pulled YET AGAIN. Not worth it not worth it not worth it. Do not stay at soutbeachgroup hotels. You can totally hang out at their lounges since they're very cute and cool but do not trust them with anything you care about!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — read above!
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Chesterfield Hotel? Share your experiences!