“2nd stay..huge mistake...never again.” 2 of 5 stars

Chesterfield Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   855 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #78 of 205 Hotels in Miami Beach
Chicago
“2nd stay..huge mistake...never again.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2005

My fiance and I stayed at the Chesterfield for the 2nd time,not what we expected. We were awaken every morning at 8:30am by garbage trucks and beer trucks in the alley. Then again around 9:30am from housekeeping. What kind of hotel has housekeeping come at 9:30 in the morning? We're on vacation, we want to sleep in a little. The worse of all was the night b4 we checked out, we stopped at the front desk and requested a late check out and were given 3pm. At about 12:30pm we received a phone call from another front desk clerk demanding we exit the room immediately and we were being charged $20. Well, this woman wouldn't even hear our explanation. She said there were no comments in the computer and wouldn't even listen to our explanation. She was rude, cut me off and treated me like I was a child. I've never been more insulted. We asked to have a manager contact us, that never happened. Never again, I would rather pay a few more bucks have a good night's rest and leave enjoying my vacation..not in frus

Stayed May 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
  • Polish first
Jamaica
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2005

Let me be the one to confirm and update the roach issue!
Yes, there are roaches in the building! And honestly they ran me out of town! I found myself across the bridge after I was convinced the whole of S Beach needs to be exterminated of thier roach infestation.
Other than that, the Chesterfield is a very clean hotel with a trendy decor, a very interesting rain shower and great floors, and I am not sure how well you can keep those lil critters out when the building next door is the Grand Central of Roach Motels as well!

Let me advise you that this hotel is perfect for the person or couple who wants to drink and party the night away while being in the heart of the shopping center!
This is not the place to stay if you are a business executive trying to prepare your morning proposal and go before any baord members. Cause the music is always great and the cool crowd on the front are all temptations to want to forget all your troubles.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
New York, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2005

I stayed at the Chesterfield Hotel during a business trip in March. Since it was Spring Break and there was a music conference going on my options were limited. The hotel lobby was like a disco, I couldn't even hear the front desk clerk when checking in. There was no one to help with bags so I was on my own. The hallways were dark, my room smelled musty, the air conditioning did not work, and the bathroom was a disaster (the shower flooded the entire room and got all my things wet). I could not even recieve phone calls to my room because the front desk could not hear the phone ringing. I ended up checking out early and since I booked through orbitz the manager would not refund any money. I would not recommend staying here for either business or pleasure. There are much better hotels in South Beach in the same price range. Try the Townhouse, great location and friendly staff.

• Stayed March 2005, traveled on business
chicago
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2005

Imagine not having a tub and shower curtin in your bathroom. Yes, the entire bathroom, towlet, sink, floor gets totally wet. Imagine the shower head base screwed at the top of the ceiling (instead of on the side of the wall). Yes, better bring a hair net if you dont want to wash your hair. Hallways were too dark and could not find the room number. Room was very small.

• Stayed June 2004
vancouver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2005

I have stayed at the Chesterfield a couple of times and find it acceptable based on what price you pay for the room. If you are paying more than $100 to $125 a night then it is not worth it. The rooms are small and I have always been given the ground floor which is very noisy to say the least. The bathrooms are OK and most need repair in some shape or form. Beds are comfortable and air conditioning is basic. They have wall units and they are old and noisy. The worst thing is the roaches. On my last visit they were running around the floor and were also in the bathroom. When I told the receptionist at check-out she said "oh I guess they are back again"! Well I won't go back again so be warned.

• Stayed February 2005
New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2005

I stayed at the Chesterfield while I attended the VMAs in miami in august of 2004. I was afraid it would be a roach motel due to the incredible deal we got--it simply wasn't. The rooms were very clean and well maintained. Also very safe, but always be smart and lock all your valuables up. There were nice wood floors, there were no strange odors. There was also an air conditioner that kept the room cool-leave it on when you leave for the day so your room will be nice and cool when you return--p.s the maid usually turns it off which can be a bit of a pain, you'll have to let them know. The shower was a bit modern--the entire bathroom is also the shower and there are cool mirrors in it(perfect for a couple!). I just recommend removing the toilet paper and towels while you take a shower or else everything gets wet. The beds were very fluffy and comfortable. There is a safe in the room and a small closet--maybe a bit crowded for 2 people's clothes--especially females. There was cable TV also, although I rarely stayed in the room because the beach is 1 block away!! You can rent chairs and umbrellas on the beach for like 10 bucks a day. I recommend bringing your own beach towel, the hotel didn't really have any. There is also an AMAZING pizza parlor 1 block away and a great gelatto spot around the corner. News Cafe--a 24 hour restaurant was also within walking distance. The hotel is literally in the HEART of south beach--great central location! The free shuttle was great--my only complaint was the schedule(only ran every other hour) and the way the driver had to pack the van to capacity(a little annoying and crowded, but hey, it's FREE) There were free drinks for an hour nightly and a DJ. If you are not into the noise, i recommend asking for a room in the back ahead of time--you'll get a ----- view, but it'll be quiet. The rooms facing collins(street noise) and closest to the stairwell(nightly DJ) are a little loud and it can last hours into the night. I asked for a room away in the back and I slept like a baby. There are no peep holes on the door, so you better have an idea who is knocking. The halls are extremely dim and reminded me of a scene from the shining. There are quite a few diverse young people--20s, 30s that stayed here, but it wasn't the crazy annoying "spring break" crowd which was a plus to me. There weren't any drunken kids in the hallways if you know what I mean. There is an elevator, but it is pretty old and very slow, but safe--again I had no problems. I think there is free parking, but I would not recommend a car in south beach, you just don't need one unless you plan on venturing outside of the area. The parking is crazy and you'l end up needing to pay for it which can add up fast. Everything is walking distance or feel free to take a cab, they aren't too bad unless you are planning on venturing outside of the area. I highly recommend this hotel for those on a budget, who would like to stay someplace decent, safe and clean. It's the best kept secret in south beach. The food is your typical barfood fare--there are plenty of great restaurants along ocean drive that would better suit anyone's needs--i recommend having breakfast at the waldorf towers which is 1 block away on ocean and 9th. It was always pretty packed and that gave me a good sign that the food was fresh. I would definately stay here again and look forward to staying here this summer!

• Stayed August 2004
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2005

This hotel has an unparalled location. It is small and remodeled with a contemporary flair. The bathrooms have showers that utilize the whole bathroom, so be sure not to bring any clothes in there. The air conditioners work poorly and need to be replaced, bring a fan if you can. Don't expect a pool, but there is a hot tub on the roof, albeit small (seat only 4). The hot tub closes at 6pm daily for some odd reason so don't anticipate a late night gathering at the tub. The staff is quite rude, and can be helpful, but at other times confusing. The complementary happy hour with the room includes drinks made with Skol Vodka only, so don't anticipate an open bar. If you bring a cooler, fill it up at the ice machine downstairs in the middle of the night, as the hotel manager will tell you not to use the ice machine at all. Parking at the hotel is $20/day however there is a Municipal Garage @ Collins & 13th (4 blocks) that is only $8/day if you are operating on a budget. Overall this hotel is an excellent deal! ATMs, Clubs, Shopping, Food and of course the beach are practially next door. I would definately recommend it, with all the information above, of course :)

Been to Chesterfield Hotel? Share your experiences!