“A lot of pros and cons...” 3 of 5 stars

Chesterfield Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   855 Collins Avenue, Miami Beach, FL 33139   |
Ranked #73 of 206 Hotels in Miami Beach
Melbourne, Florida
“A lot of pros and cons...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

Great location, in middle of everything, close to the beach. That's what makes this hotel totally a great deal and I WOULD stay there again. Pros- very pretty, and CLEAN, and location couldn't be better for the price.

We stayed in a standard queen I believe...small but nicely laid out space and gorgeous decor in my opinion.

Valet parking is $32 a day and we couldn't find them. They were around the corner, that I circled like 10 times. It was just a black umbrella that said VALET. The sign that said Chesterfield Hotel was not readable from the road...kinda stupid in my opinion. It was chaos trying to find them...very busy city street in all ;) By the way, go with the valet. Its worth it. The parking garage nearby would have been $40 overnight and you won't find a spot on the street.

Staff was touch and go, they are trying to do the whole fancy doorman thing, I don't mind opening my door but if your there and want to open it by all means! Fantastic! However, I walked past the doorman and opened my own door because he was just kind of staring off into space. It was awkward :/

So about the rooms, when you check in don't be doofus and have the guy take you to your room because there are no signs telling you where anything is. It's like a maze in there at times (it's outside). But its beautiful... nicely kept up and clean.

Shower was fine one time and the next time it switched from cold, warm, and really hot at random times. The water would be nice and warm and bam freezing cold or very hot...not fun right? But it was just one night, if it was more we would of had to switch rooms or something.

At night there were people outside window talking loud because there are nice patio sitting areas....you could totally sneak off into a corner and have "fun" if your into that stuff ;) But I was in bed and they were loud and right outside my window at 2am. Back home, I have a 2 month old and 3 year old, I am away from my babies for one night and the thing I wanted the most was a nice full nights sleep after some fun with my husband. If you have kids, you know how big a deal that is. But the bed was comfy and I slept great reagrdless. Plus, it is a party area after all. Oh, TV is CRAP. Picture is weird, not as they advertise. But go outside, you don't need the TV.

Another thing that for the life of me makes NO sense: NO coffee. They have a stocked minibar and fridge, an iron, hair dryer, but no coffee maker? Motel 6 has a dang coffee maker. Ok fine whatever, there has to be some in the lobby right? NO. We asked a lady and she suggested the 7-11 around the street. It seems this hotel is trying to be fancy but forgetting the obvious stuff. But there's a great liquor store across from the valet around the corner called ninth street liquor or something similar, staff is friendly, they had ice coffee and OJ...things I just assumed would be somewhere on there premises. They have room service, and a bar. I just don't GET IT. I'm baffled by that one.

Sushi bar was empty, we stood in there forever and I looked at the fish and decided I'd better not risk it. And everytime I passed it, it was empty except one couple...So I figured there had to be a reason.

I couldn't spend a great deal of money, I took an overnight trip with my husband to see a concert and drove back home the next day. I had a great time and I overall enjoyed my time in the room. So there ya have it. It's reasonably priced and in my opinion a great value.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Chesterfield Hotel, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Hello there KrisK999,

We value all of our guests feedback, and we would like to thank you for sharing yours with us! We are in a great location, as we are just blocks away from all the hot spots. Due to the construction on Collins Ave, the valet stand had to be moved temporarily. The City of Miami Beach has set strict regulations that we must follow. We apologize that you had an issue finding the valet stand. I will make sure that the bellmen are aware about your feedback, so that it never happens again. We are delighted to know that you were content with the room that you were given! I will pass your feedback on to all of our team. Constructive feedback such as yours allows us to make the necessary changes, in order to have a better product for our guests.

Katrine

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Polish first
Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

A group of 10 stopped here for 2 nights before boarding cruise ship. Hotel is two different hotels now together, one chalet type the other typical hotel. in good position, near shops, beach bars, etc. Rooms Ok, very dark and smelt a little musky. Family room had 2 large double/king beds with 2 bunks just off. Hotel rooms need freshening up and painting, unable to open windows. Heard everyone passing by door, hotel has tables and chairs outside most rooms so people just sit and chat even at 4am, (lovely in the daytime, bad idea at night) Rooftop whirl pool nice, and unused but gets very hot up there so beware! Sat nights DJ plays in reception area so loads of people using free happy hour for drinks. Hotel good for young party people. Would not stop here again.....

Room Tip: Ask for room away from main corridor, it will be
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Chesterfield Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Good Evening rhonda m,

We value all of our guests feedback and we would like to thank you for sharing yours with us! We are located right in the heart of South Beach. Everything that you will want to do and see is just a convenient walk away. I will make sure to pass on your feedback to our management.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

We booked this hotel based on the location but didnt had much expectations. We felt relief when we steped at the lobby and seem really nice, small but the vibe of the staff was so good that we felt ok. The first surprise was that we had to pay $15 for each day!! We had no choice. I think it should be optional if you want to have internet, beach towel, and free drink.
When we opened the room we were glad to see it was very cool, not fancy, not elegant, but cool, so it was fine. The bathroom is very small, the air condition didn't work, we had to ask EVERYDAY for someone to come and clean the room because they didnt on the first day. I wouldn't mind noice that came from out side, after all we were at South Beach, that's normal. But the EXTREME NOICE came from the staff, cleanning ladies and 2 maintinance guys! The would start screaming since 6:00am when clearly guests are completly tired of late partying. They smashed every single door so loud it was imposible to sleep.
How ever, I do recomend this Hotel, for it's perfect location. And because overall it was fine.
I would stay here next time I want to visit South Beach

Stayed April 2014
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Chesterfield Hotel, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Good Afternoon Johanpalma,

We value all of our guests feedback and would like to thank you for sharing yours with us, and all of our future guests. We are located in the prime of South Beach, with all the action just blocks away. We do charge a $15 resort fee for the amenities that we offer. The R/T shuttle from MIA, cocktail hour nightly from 7-8PM, WiFi. I will make sure to pass on your feedback to the rest of our staff so that they are aware. We hope to have you stay with us again soon! :)

4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

Great location in walking distance to all the major shops , beach and bars. Modern upgrades to the old Art Deco section of Miami. Friendly staff Luis is very entertaining and will be sure to help make your trip enjoyable

• Stayed April 2014
Good Afternoon Mcpammie,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, and all of our future guests. We are located in the heart of South Beach just blocks away from all the action. Our staff all work hard to make sure that all of our guests are having a great time! I will make sure that Luis is aware of your kind praise! We hope to see you again soon!

England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

Was fast asleep with husband and 2 year old and 6 year old when I was woken with a feeling we wasn't alone only to see a dark figure at the end of our bed and it was a man I screamed and he ran off!! very very dark rooms and a small step into the bathroom where you trip up and smash your face into the glass in front of you! very noisy and not very helpful and the happy hour turns out you have to pay

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014

The location is probably the only feature that is a plus. It is located on Collins, a block off the beach so you can quickly walk to Ocean and be right in the scene. If you like that sort of thing.

The hotel is very small, the rooms are even smaller and quirky. Our bathroom had a bathtub with a shower head in it, but you had to step over the end of the bathtub to stand inside it to use. Hard to describe, but weird. They also didn't make up our room. We went out for the day, came back sweaty and tired wanting a shower and a nap, bummed to see room still unmade. Housekeepers off at 5 PM, oh well.

The location in the middle of party land means lots of drunk people outside your door till all hours of the morning and then the garbage trucks come crashing through to empty the dumpsters before 7 AM. The trucks are louder than the drunks which is saying something.

Also, none of the basic amenities, no coffee in the room, they advertise wifi available but it didn't work, parking is only by valet $36/day. You can buy the hotel's breakfast if you'd like, but even though they were supposed to be open at 8, they still were mopping down the floors and chairs at 8:30.

Not really customer service focused if you get my drift.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Chesterfield Hotel, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Hello there jean c,

We value all of our guests feedback and we would like to thank you for sharing yours with us! We are located in the heart of South Beach just blocks away from all the hottest spots. We are indeed a boutique hotel therefore our rooms are a bit smaller then your average hotel rooms. I will make sure that our housekeepers are aware of your feedback. We will make sure that this doesn't happen again! We apologize that your time spent with us was not a 5 star one!

Guernsey, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

We popped in here for a quick happy hour cocktail and bite to eat (sushi). It's a nothing special little side bar with no atmosphere. Our $8 cocktails (which involved the waiter pushing a button on the frozen cocktail machine) cost us $10 after tax (fine) and mandatory service (not fine). We then ordered our sushi. Before the meal had come, the waiter advised us that he was ending his shift and so had to do the bill now, which, before he'd provided any service whatsoever, he mandatorily added 18% into the bill and ran it through as paid on my card before I'd even had a chance to see the bill. On enquiry, I was informed that I should be grateful because service is usually 20%... To which I responded that you actually had to provide service to impose a voluntary service charge. Unimpressed. We don't mind paying a service and we know it's expected in the US, but so too is the level of service you receive.... This guy just expected it, charged it and then told us to be grateful! He then did not in fact finish his shift and was still working (rudely now towards us) when we left after eating an average meal of sushi.

Don't bother going here. It ruined the end of what had been an awesome day for us!

• Stayed April 2014
SBG_GuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Chesterfield Hotel, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Hello there carlzp,

Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with us, and all of our future guests! The majority of the restaurants on South Beach have service charge added to their bill. This service charge is not mandatory. You can simply cross it out, and write what you feel is desired. The service charge had never been 20%. I will make sure that all of the team at the restaurant is aware of your review.

Katrine

Been to Chesterfield Hotel? Share your experiences!